What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

+JMJ+
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am
Skip wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm
A Parliament of Monsters
https://www.amazon.com/Parliament-Monst ... 0615517935

Just started this. It promises to the sort of book that Dan Brown could have written -- if he had known anything about history, Christianity, or how to develop interesting characters.
I often forget how gracious you can be; thanks for the reminder.
Del's remark appears to be one that pretty much writes itself, actually.
Alright. Who left the Delbot on?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:43 pm

+JMJ+

Fields of Sense: A New Realist Ontology by Markus Gabriel

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 pm
Heron Hill Chronicles, by George Reiger. It's a light read; I'm looking for a good book/commentary on the Psalms.
Went back and forth from the Heron Hill Chronicles to various periodicals, but finally finished it.

Ordered, and just received The Adventures of Henry Thoreau, by Michael Sims. It was recommended by a friend and former co-worker, who says that Thoreau was born 200 years ago (July, 1817), and so "is popular this year".
Finished the Thoreau book, a very good read, and very enlightening.

Starting now on a small book I found while cleaning off my desktop, but not sure where or how I obtained it. "The Threefold Garland", by Hans Yes Von Balthazar. I may have started this book some time ago, put it down, and if so I'll take another go at it.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Heron Hill Chronicles, by George Reiger. It's a light read; I'm looking for a good book/commentary on the Psalms.
Went back and forth from the Heron Hill Chronicles to various periodicals, but finally finished it.

Ordered, and just received The Adventures of Henry Thoreau, by Michael Sims. It was recommended by a friend and former co-worker, who says that Thoreau was born 200 years ago (July, 1817), and so "is popular this year".

Starting now on a small book I found while cleaning off my desktop, but not sure where or how I obtained it. "The Threefold Garland", by Hans Yes Von Balthazar. I may have started this book some time ago, put it down, and if so I'll take another go at it.
Done with the "Garland". Very wordy but interesting. Not sure about some of the ideas.

Picking up "The Reformation", by Earnest Schweibert.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Hyperion by Simmons
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Pickwick Papers
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Hebrews and From Dream to Destiny by Robert Morris.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Done with the "Garland". Very wordy but interesting. Not sure about some of the ideas.

The Reformation is the most labor intensive book I've tried to read recently. Almost 600 pages including everything, index and all. He obviously could have gone 1200 pages if he'd lived longer. This was his life's work. Still, very interesting reading.

I've momentarily set it aside, though, for a book I found for under $5, Fishing Moments of Truth. The first story is one by Steve's old buddy Nick Lyons, titled On the Divide. I hope the rest of the stories in this book are as good.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 am

Currently in the middle of Kingdom, Grace, Judgment: Paradox, Outrage, and Vindication in the Parables of Jesus by Robert Capon
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 am

Just off the press Oct. 2017 - by an award winning author: Eric Metaxas, is his latest: MARTIN LUTHER, The Man Who Rediscovered GOD and Changed the World." His books have been translated into more than twenty-five languages. Often seen on TV being interviewed.

It's over 400 pages in length. I am convinced I'm going to enjoy his style of writing. Not dry historian mumbling about ancient facts; but up to date in writing as if he were seated in your living-room, talking to you. Seven false beliefs and assumptions about Luther have been proven FALSE. I am enjoying the reading experience, listening to Eric just 'talk' to me in this book.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 am

Night Photography and Light Painting : Finding Your Way in the Dark, by Lance Keimig
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

The Reformation is the most labor intensive book I've tried to read recently. Almost 600 pages including everything, index and all. He obviously could have gone 1200 pages if he'd lived longer. This was his life's work. Still, very interesting reading.

I've momentarily set it aside, though, for a book I found for under $5, Fishing Moments of Truth. The first story is one by Steve's old buddy Nick Lyons, titled On the Divide. I hope the rest of the stories in this book are as good.
Few in the book write with Nick's genuine humility, but it's a good collection.
I'd be curious to hear how you liked Haig-Brown's contribution.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Netnography: Doing Ethnographic Research Online by Kozinets
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Romans, The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes, and for Jocose, On the Path of the Immortals: Exo-Vaticanna, Project L.U.C.I.F.E.R. and the Strategic Locations Entities Await the Appointed Time by Tom Horn and Cris Putnam.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 pm
Romans, The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes, and for Jocose, On the Path of the Immortals: Exo-Vaticanna, Project L.U.C.I.F.E.R. and the Strategic Locations Entities Await the Appointed Time by Tom Horn and Cris Putnam.
The Bruised Reed. Thats sounds good. I'm a bruised reed.

"A bruised reed will He not break, nor a smoking flax snuff out."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 am

+JMJ+

The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time: A Proposal in Natural Philosophy by Roberto Mangabeira Unger and Lee Smolin

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am

Always tangled up in reading several books - almost simultaneous. Skipping back and forth, according ability to focus, and hunger for what I find in a particular book.

Now daily reading some in Jeff Harkin's "GRACE plus NOTHING." Great book for anyone who has ever been bound by "legalism," with all the guilt and fear that comes with it.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:33 pm

The Prague Cemetery by Eco

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee