What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 am

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm

What are you learning or consider practical and helpful so far for you, yourself? It's rewarding when a LOT of practical stuff unfolds.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 pm

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 pm
Heron Hill Chronicles, by George Reiger. It's a light read; I'm looking for a good book/commentary on the Psalms.
Went back and forth from the Heron Hill Chronicles to various periodicals, but finally finished it.

Ordered, and just received The Adventures of Henry Thoreau, by Michael Sims. It was recommended by a friend and former co-worker, who says that Thoreau was born 200 years ago (July, 1817), and so "is popular this year".
Finished the Thoreau book, a very good read, and very enlightening.

Starting now on a small book I found while cleaning off my desktop, but not sure where or how I obtained it. "The Threefold Garland", by Hans Yes Von Balthazar. I may have started this book some time ago, put it down, and if so I'll take another go at it.
Done with the "Garland". Very wordy but interesting. Not sure about some of the ideas.

Picking up "The Reformation", by Earnest Schweibert.
The Reformation is the most labor intensive book I've tried to read recently. Almost 600 pages including everything, index and all. He obviously could have gone 1200 pages if he'd lived longer. This was his life's work. Still, very interesting reading.

I've momentarily set it aside, though, for a book I found for under $5, Fishing Moments of Truth. The first story is one by Steve's old buddy Nick Lyons, titled On the Divide. I hope the rest of the stories in this book are as good.
Few in the book write with Nick's genuine humility, but it's a good collection.
I'd be curious to hear how you liked Haig-Brown's contribution.
I skipped ahead to read H-B's piece and it was very good, typical Haig-Brown. But after reading most of the remaining stories I must say they are all very good, and some are very moving. I like the book, but unfortunately my grandson's pup likes it too.

Here's the book, minus the cover, sitting where I left it for a few minutes this afternoon.

She could have grabbed my pipe, tobacco, matches, lighter, or even mosquito spray. But no, she got the book. I finally found the cover, but this is what I found in the middle of the back yard.

I threw her butt in the kennel but she doesn't look remorseful at all.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:08 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 pm
Heron Hill Chronicles, by George Reiger. It's a light read; I'm looking for a good book/commentary on the Psalms.
Went back and forth from the Heron Hill Chronicles to various periodicals, but finally finished it.

Ordered, and just received The Adventures of Henry Thoreau, by Michael Sims. It was recommended by a friend and former co-worker, who says that Thoreau was born 200 years ago (July, 1817), and so "is popular this year".
Finished the Thoreau book, a very good read, and very enlightening.

Starting now on a small book I found while cleaning off my desktop, but not sure where or how I obtained it. "The Threefold Garland", by Hans Yes Von Balthazar. I may have started this book some time ago, put it down, and if so I'll take another go at it.
Done with the "Garland". Very wordy but interesting. Not sure about some of the ideas.

Picking up "The Reformation", by Earnest Schweibert.
The Reformation is the most labor intensive book I've tried to read recently. Almost 600 pages including everything, index and all. He obviously could have gone 1200 pages if he'd lived longer. This was his life's work. Still, very interesting reading.

I've momentarily set it aside, though, for a book I found for under $5, Fishing Moments of Truth. The first story is one by Steve's old buddy Nick Lyons, titled On the Divide. I hope the rest of the stories in this book are as good.
Few in the book write with Nick's genuine humility, but it's a good collection.
I'd be curious to hear how you liked Haig-Brown's contribution.
I skipped ahead to read H-B's piece and it was very good, typical Haig-Brown. But after reading most of the remaining stories I must say they are all very good, and some are very moving. I like the book, but unfortunately my grandson's pup likes it too.

Here's the book, minus the cover, sitting where I left it for a few minutes this afternoon.

She could have grabbed my pipe, tobacco, matches, lighter, or even mosquito spray. But no, she got the book. I finally found the cover, but this is what I found in the middle of the back yard.

I threw her butt in the kennel but she doesn't look remorseful at all.
Puppies!
You can't help but love 'em, even when they mess up.

Our Panda chewed up two pair of a friend's prescription glasses when we were visiting, and another pair of mine at home.
She became somewhat infamous at the optician where we got them.

Now she's got lymphoma, not three months after her 14 year old pal, Quinn, lost her battle with hemangiosarcoma, and I'd let her mangle a dozen more if it would make her better.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller by Burke Davis

Damn!
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Pepik wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:04 pm
Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller by Burke Davis

Damn!
Goodnight Chesty, wherever you are.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am

wosbald wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am
+JMJ+
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am
Skip wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm
A Parliament of Monsters
https://www.amazon.com/Parliament-Monst ... 0615517935

Just started this. It promises to the sort of book that Dan Brown could have written -- if he had known anything about history, Christianity, or how to develop interesting characters.
I often forget how gracious you can be; thanks for the reminder.
Del's remark appears to be one that pretty much writes itself, actually.
Alright. Who left the Delbot on?
Okay... A Parliament of Monsters was a fun novel. It had interesting characters, and managed to mix Irish mythology, Catholic faith and modern technocracy together in a surprising way that was respectful to all the traditions. The central characters were a young mother and her 5-year-old son who had just lost their husband/father.

Reading now: The Complete Works of Plato. This is a Bible-sized book, surprisingly accessible to casual readers, and the dialogues of Socrates are fascinating to read. Pipeson has been trying to get me to open this for a long time. I'm sorry I waited.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4