What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm

I barely read now that I don't preach every week. I should fix that.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 am

Neanderthal Man - In search of the lost genomes by Svante Pääbo. Recommended. It was published in 2014 so it's the whole story to date. Really excellent. Hard to put down.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:37 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 am
Neanderthal Man - In search of the lost genomes by Svante Pääbo. Recommended. It was published in 2014 so it's the whole story to date. Really excellent. Hard to put down.
I just ordered that the other day. I'm looking forward to reading it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 am

This is the book I've wanted to write for years. All the same, I will definitely be picking up a copy. Had I been the author, I would likely have have included a chapter on Del.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 am
This is the book I've wanted to write for years. All the same, I will definitely be picking up a copy. Had I been the author, I would likely have have included a chapter on Del.
I would like to argue that we very early "boomers," born in the immediate aftermath of WWII are a very different breed than later "boomers." Somehow, the notions of civic virtue, prudence, faith, civility, literacy and respect for others--characteristics of our grandparents' and parents' generations--remained alive in us. Children born a decade later had a bit too much Dr. Spock in them unless their parents were exceptional.

The "me" generation of later boomers seems to me another generation entirely.

This will pain you as it does me, Cardinal Morley: that is the generation we had to fight to keep Shakespeare in our literature curriculum.

Hard to believe, but true.

I cannot begin to communicate the level of Schadenfreude I feel listening to my 40 year old son lamenting the shortcomings of the Millennials he is now hiring and having to teach this thing called "The Work Ethic."

At any rate, I look forward to reading your chapter on del when it is finished, should you choose to write it, and especially eager to learn your take on kilts.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm

+JMJ+

Writing and Difference by Jacques Derrida

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:21 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm
+JMJ+

If you haven't already read it, Wos, might I recommend Strategies of Deconstruction by J. Claude Evans?
Claude was, at the time of its writing, primarily a Husserl scholar. This book is a very interesting take on Derrida's work on Husserl.

I'd love to know what you think of it.

Added later:

A suggested correction was graciously, and privately sent by Wos as a PM: Evans' book deals, of course, with Derrida's treatment of Husserl, not Heidegger.

A bit of amplification:

Evans wrote what was at the time a very negative response to what he perceived as Derrida's attempt at "doing traditional philosophy." Claude's sense was that Derrida, whose method and critique of philosophy had been attacked in its early stages for its lack of philosophical rigor by those who had not embraced Derrida's understanding, was attempting to prove to his peers that he was perfectly capable of "doing philosophy," and his writing about Husserl was just that: Derrida's attempt to demonstrate philosophical competence. Evans, a highly respected Husserl scholar, wrote that Derrida had badly misunderstood Husserl, and therefore badly failed in the attempt to demonstrate philosophical competence.

My description of the book goes more to motivation than argument, strips its content to a very minimal skeleton, but I believe it takes the short route to the "quick."

Evans' book has been variously seen either as having shown Derrida as an Emperor having no clothes, or, alternately, proved Evans to be a traditionally trained philosopher embracing an outdated understanding who utterly failed to grasp Derrida.

In fairness I have to reveal that Claude and I are good friends and have been for many years.

And I ask you about this, Wos, because so many of the books you have listed here are heavily laden either with primary source reading in post-modern philosophy or discussion of those primary sources, and many of your comments regarding the thoughts of others on many topics discussed in the forum appear to me to contain a fairly large element of post-modern understanding. Correct me if I am wrong in this.

I'm wondering what your reaction to Claude's critique might be, and the degree to which you either simply find post-modern philosophy and its discussion fascinating, or you find yourself intellectually at home in that developing understanding and break from analytic and other "modern" philosophy.

Thanks for reading this long post.
I'm looking forward to your response.
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm

A_Morley wrote:
I'm confident there is a chapter on Del in spite of you not being the author.

Or are you?
You are the best sock puppet aside from Jocose.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm
A_Morley wrote:

Or are you?
Your attempts to imply that I am a sock puppet would be amusing if you were capable of being amusing. I know you live in a world where the only "real", "authentic" people wear tee shirts and bandannas and speak in monosyllables, but there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm

+JMJ+
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:21 pm
wosbald wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm

If you haven't already read it, Wos, might I recommend Strategies of Deconstruction by J. Claude Evans?
Claude was, at the time of its writing, primarily a Husserl scholar. This book is a very interesting take on Derrida's work on Husserl.

I'd love to know what you think of it. …
Moving this discussion to Derrida has a Message for Us.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:58 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm
A_Morley wrote:

Or are you?
Your attempts to imply that I am a sock puppet would be amusing if you were capable of being amusing. I know you live in a world where the only "real", "authentic" people wear tee shirts and bandannas and speak in monosyllables, but there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio.
You wear the Portland character well. It's adorable.

We all pull for you (yes, even me) while you pretend to be a jackass.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 am

Strangers in A Strange Land by Charles J. Chaput.
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 am

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 am
I just finished reading "Hound of the Baskervilles" to the kids. Not sure what we'll pick up next.
Are you certain it was not "The Hound of the Bakersfields?" :P
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am

I'm still working through William F. Buckley Jr's "God and Man at Yale" and a few days ago started reading the book I'm gifting to my 9 Grandsons, on becoming a real man of honor, honesty, courage, self-management, and men of the Code, titled: "MEN of the CODE" by Bohdi Sanders, PhD.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:15 am

Sir Compton Mackenzie's first novel, The Passionate Elopement. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38177
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 am

Indelible by Adelia Saunders (Bloomsbury 2017)

Debut novel by one of my students--I just got it in the mail.
Here are parts of two of the many wonderful reviews:

"Richly detailed and highly observant . . . Fans of David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas and Téa Obreht's The Tiger's Wife will love Saunders' debut which takes up the mantle of myth, history, storytelling with beautiful, sure-footed prose."--Kirkus Reviews

"A graceful and elegant novel about love and mystery, loss and melancholy, sorrow and hope."--Viet Thanh Nguyen, Puliter Prize winning author of The Sympathizer

Yeah. I'm proud of her.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 pm

A Time to Prosper by Chuck Pierce and Robert Heidler that I got from the Family Christian sale that everyone pissed on.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 pm

A Social History of Bourbon.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Vellum
by
Hal Duncan
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:48 am

Horton's Pilgrim Theology. He highlights how out of the grand drama of scripture we gather doctrines which produce in us doxology leading to discipleship.

I've found that chain particularly helpful in tho season of ministry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk