Pumpkin Ale

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jester
Elder
Elder

Re: Pumpkin Ale

Post by Jester » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am

Tuttle brought me a Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin last night.
It was a very light ale with a hard spicy bite in the back of the throat.

Elysian is still my top pumpkin ale this far but I have only tried their Night Owl.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 pm
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Rosemary's Baby A+++

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! (check it)

Due to the lack of proper malts and the fact that pumpkin was unknown in Europe during the colonial era, pumpkin ale is uniquely American (well...colonial American...but so was the Revolution, so there).

So if you hate pumpkin ale, the obvious conclusion is that you hate America and everything she was founded upon.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 am

As long as nutmeg is not sprinkled on top, I'll try one, if I can locate just one somewhere. I ain't buying six just to try one.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:19 am

For me, pumpkin ale seems to be about 50/50. I like pumpkin cider/mead much better.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 am

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 am

Due to the lack of proper malts and the fact that pumpkin was unknown in Europe during the colonial era, pumpkin ale is uniquely American (well...colonial American...but so was the Revolution, so there).
—————————————————
Tuttle's linked article wrote:… in a history of Connecticut, first published in 1791 and aimed at a British audience that still had little knowledge of Things Pumpkin, noted that the pumpkin, (or pompion) could be used to make '...beer, bread, custards, sauce, molasses, vinegar, and, on thanksgiving day, pies, as a substitute for what the Blue Laws brand as antichristian minced pies.' …
I wanna know just what is an "antichristian minced pie". And I want one. And I want it now.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 am
+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:

—————————————————
Tuttle's linked article wrote:… in a history of Connecticut, first published in 1791 and aimed at a British audience that still had little knowledge of Things Pumpkin, noted that the pumpkin, (or pompion) could be used to make '...beer, bread, custards, sauce, molasses, vinegar, and, on thanksgiving day, pies, as a substitute for what the Blue Laws brand as antichristian minced pies.' …
I wanna know just what is an "antichristian minced pie". And I want one. And I want it now.
Found it. That self-righteous prick Cromwell...

https://mercuriuspoliticus.wordpress.co ... wellballs/
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:20 am

I like pumpkin ale. And pumpkin pie (especially when spiked with a finely-diced habanero). And the smell of the spices collectively known as "pumpkin spice": cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Dang. Now I'm thirsty and hungry...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 am

Skip wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 am
+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:

—————————————————
Found it. That self-righteous prick Cromwell...

https://mercuriuspoliticus.wordpress.co ... wellballs/
Gloria deo , sirs proface,
Attend me now whilst I say grace.
For bread and salt, for grapes and malt,
For flesh and fish, and euery dish:
Mutton and beefe, of all meates cheefe:
For Cow-heels, chitterlings, tripes and sowse,
And other meate thats in the house:
For racks, for brests, for legges, for loines,
For pies with raisons, and with proines:
For fritters, pancakes, and for frayes,
For venison pasties and minct pies.

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:Rosemary's Baby A+++

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:02 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:19 am
For me, pumpkin ale seems to be about 50/50. I like pumpkin cider/mead much better.
Duddddde, I had a pumpkin cider about five years ago, and I haven't found anything like it since. I love the stuff.

Gosh, now you guys got me envious of all the choices you guys have over there. Lord, help me.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:02 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Duddddde, I had a pumpkin cider about five years ago, and I haven't found anything like it since. I love the stuff.

Gosh, now you guys got me envious of all the choices you guys have over there. Lord, help me.
We just opened a bottle of home-brewed pumpkin cider last night. Tasty.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 am
I ain't buying six just to try one.
Well, I won't, but my wife apparently will. She came home with a Blue Moon version, which I don't think is exactly the same thing you guys are drinking. But I'll try it this evening. If it just doesn't suit me then I'll use it in some pumpkin scones.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:09 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:02 pm
UncleBob wrote:

We just opened a bottle of home-brewed pumpkin cider last night. Tasty.
:facepalm: :sob:
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 pm

tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.

So if you hate pumpkin ale, the obvious conclusion is that you hate America and everything she was founded upon.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, you know. Plenty of unpleasant things are more American than apple pie (which is a pretty sorry excuse for a pie, by the way). Getting scalped by an Indian is pretty damned American but you never did see anyone lining up for the privilege or reenacting it joyously, have you?

No, pumpkin ale is just a sign that Europeans will go to any lengths to make an alcoholic beverage. In times of dearth, I could turn a blind eye to cannibalism, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it when I have plenty of alternatives.

And finally, it came from that most loathsome of people, the Pilgrims. People so saintly they were kicked out of at least two countries for being real arseholes before they got here. A priggish, loutish, ill-educated bunch of witch burning anti-Catholics more medieval than the Inquisition. I will have no truck with them, Sir.

You can take pumpkin beer and shove it. Or give it to Skip, I don't care. That man will drink anything with alcohol in it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 pm
tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, you know. Plenty of unpleasant things are more American than apple pie (which is a pretty sorry excuse for a pie, by the way). Getting scalped by an Indian is pretty damned American but you never did see anyone lining up for the privilege or reenacting it joyously, have you?

No, pumpkin ale is just a sign that Europeans will go to any lengths to make an alcoholic beverage. In times of dearth, I could turn a blind eye to cannibalism, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it when I have plenty of alternatives.

And finally, it came from that most loathsome of people, the Pilgrims. People so saintly they were kicked out of at least two countries for being real arseholes before they got here. A priggish, loutish, ill-educated bunch of witch burning anti-Catholics more medieval than the Inquisition. I will have no truck with them, Sir.

You can take pumpkin beer and shove it. Or give it to Skip, I don't care. That man will drink anything with alcohol in it.
So, like me, you've never tried it.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Pumpkin Ale, oh, pumpkin ale
greatest of the season beers
We lift our glass and give a toast
to the puritans back all those years!
Pumpkin ale, yes, pumpkin ale
you don't show without the bitchers
But we just laugh, kick them out the bar
and refill all our pitchers!