Pumpkin Ale

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Pumpkin Ale

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 pm
tuttle wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 pm
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! (check it)

Due to the lack of proper malts and the fact that pumpkin was unknown in Europe during the colonial era, pumpkin ale is uniquely American (well...colonial American...but so was the Revolution, so there).

So if you hate pumpkin ale, the obvious conclusion is that you hate America and everything she was founded upon.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, you know. Plenty of unpleasant things are more American than apple pie (which is a pretty sorry excuse for a pie, by the way). Getting scalped by an Indian is pretty damned American but you never did see anyone lining up for the privilege or reenacting it joyously, have you?

No, pumpkin ale is just a sign that Europeans will go to any lengths to make an alcoholic beverage. In times of dearth, I could turn a blind eye to cannibalism, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it when I have plenty of alternatives.

And finally, it came from that most loathsome of people, the Pilgrims. People so saintly they were kicked out of at least two countries for being real arseholes before they got here. A priggish, loutish, ill-educated bunch of witch burning anti-Catholics more medieval than the Inquisition. I will have no truck with them, Sir.

You can take pumpkin beer and shove it. Or give it to Skip, I don't care. That man will drink anything with alcohol in it.
So, like me, you've never tried it.
Hah! Unfortunately, no. I have tried it. Three or four iterations (my wife is a fan), which ranged from pumpkin-pie flavored to bitter vegetal. I find neither end of that flavor spectrum pleasant.

The older I get the more I just want a beer if I'm having a beer. I don't need a glass of grapefruit juice and pine tar, nor do sour beers nor fruity beers nor pumpkin beers nor cayenne chocolate stouts (like that sonofabitch that snuck up on me yesterday and tried to kill me) ring my proverbial bell.

I have place for exactly three kinds of beers which taste, to me, of beer: Pilsners, Scottish Ales, and Stouts/Porters. Made the way God intended them, now, mind you--no guavas nor coffee in my porter, no food dye in my Scottish Ale, and no fugging mango juice in my pilsner.

I return you to your regularly scheduled programming. May God Bless America, and save Her from this beer faggotry.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:35 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.

Due to the lack of proper malts and the fact that pumpkin was unknown in Europe during the colonial era, pumpkin ale is uniquely American (well...colonial American...but so was the Revolution, so there).

So if you hate pumpkin ale, the obvious conclusion is that you hate America and everything she was founded upon.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, you know. Plenty of unpleasant things are more American than apple pie (which is a pretty sorry excuse for a pie, by the way). Getting scalped by an Indian is pretty damned American but you never did see anyone lining up for the privilege or reenacting it joyously, have you?

No, pumpkin ale is just a sign that Europeans will go to any lengths to make an alcoholic beverage. In times of dearth, I could turn a blind eye to cannibalism, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it when I have plenty of alternatives.

And finally, it came from that most loathsome of people, the Pilgrims. People so saintly they were kicked out of at least two countries for being real arseholes before they got here. A priggish, loutish, ill-educated bunch of witch burning anti-Catholics more medieval than the Inquisition. I will have no truck with them, Sir.

You can take pumpkin beer and shove it. Or give it to Skip, I don't care. That man will drink anything with alcohol in it.
Hah! Unfortunately, no. I have tried it. Three or four iterations (my wife is a fan), which ranged from pumpkin-pie flavored to bitter vegetal. I find neither end of that flavor spectrum pleasant.

The older I get the more I just want a beer if I'm having a beer. I don't need a glass of grapefruit juice and pine tar, nor do sour beers nor fruity beers nor pumpkin beers nor cayenne chocolate stouts (like that sonofabitch that snuck up on me yesterday and tried to kill me) ring my proverbial bell.

I have place for exactly three kinds of beers which taste, to me, of beer: Pilsners, Scottish Ales, and Stouts/Porters. Made the way God intended them, now, mind you--no guavas nor coffee in my porter, no food dye in my Scottish Ale, and no fugging mango juice in my pilsner.

I return you to your regularly scheduled programming. May God Bless America, and save Her from this beer faggotry.
We get it Hugo, you are getting older and you hate beer.

How does a cayenne chocolate stout sneak up on you? Did you not read the label? Only read the alcohol content, maybe. All hints of a man with a bottle shaking in hand. An eighth of the bottle didn't even make it in your mouth, did it? No it didn't, it slid down your clean cut face because real men who like pumpkin beer have beards.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Jester wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:35 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Pumpkin Ale is anathema.
Agreed.

We get it Hugo, you are getting older and you hate beer.

How does a cayenne chocolate stout sneak up on you? Did you not read the label? Only read the alcohol content, maybe. All hints of a man with a bottle shaking in hand. An eighth of the bottle didn't even make it in your mouth, did it? No it didn't, it slid down your clean cut face because real men who like pumpkin beer have beards.
Jester, I notice two disturbing things in the above post. One, you have minimal rant skills. Two, you seem to equate beer enjoyment with masculinity. That's the view of the boor or the child. You're young yet, so I'll show you some indulgence. Alcohol isn't the measure of a man. How he handles the booze, should he choose to drink, is probably a better standard.

You see, son, they have these things called "bars." You walk in and order a draft. It's a little more convenient than waiting for your brother to bring you a beer. Think about it--if you liked the beer, you could order another one! Well, ask your brother if he's ever been in one of those modern bars with all of the drafts up on a chalkboard. It's like a menu on the wall. You know what a draft beer is, right? No bottles. No labels. Deciding you didn't want a "Smurfberry Sour Beer" or any of the other cutesy things on offer, you order a Minotaur Nitro Stout. You don't ask the bartender, "Hey, does that have cayenne and coffee in it?" because, frankly, the thought that it might doesn't even occur to you. Surely it would have a name indicating this fact? And what mincing queen would do that to a good stout?

You drain half the pint without thinking. Long day. Velvety nitro stout. It isn't until you've finished that you notice a sour burning in the back of your throat making its way down your esophagus. Thinking maybe it's you, you finish the beer. Heartburn commences. You tell the bartender and learn. Interesting.

Apparently, there is a subset of humanity that enjoys burning beer. They probably think the measure of a man is in the quality of his beard, eh? One of those things anybody with a spot of testosterone can grow. You know why I shaved my beard? Because of the preening, prancing collection of girly men wandering around in fitted artisinal flannel shirts and white-soled Redwing boots that have never seen any mud, all sporting identical bald fade greaser haircuts and competing with each other over who can be more disgustingly focused on his beard. Their hands are constantly in them, or, worse still, they comb them in public. They clean them carefully after each swig of beer. They talk about, sometimes even make, suspect creams, potions, and unguents for their hairy chins. Their pomades are subjects of conversation.

No, while I agree a beard is a fine enough thing in principle and distrust men who cannot grow them, I decided that the way to distance myself as much as possible from the guy who thinks a beer is hot stuff as long as it's weird enough was to shave. And to keep shaving. Monday through Sunday. Like a boss, not like some guy that "works in advertising" and is really into tiny houses and has an instagram account filled with hunting and fishing and camping photographs other people took even though he gets his nails done and lives in a 3500 a month walkup apartment.

It's nice not to smell spoiled milk after eating an ice cream cone, too.

Either that or I just don't really like beer. Hell, you might be right. :D

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Jester wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm
Pumpkin Ale, oh, pumpkin ale
greatest of the season beers
We lift our glass and give a toast
to the puritans back all those years!
Pumpkin ale, yes, pumpkin ale
you don't show without the bitchers
But we just laugh, kick them out the bar
and refill all our pitchers!
And we mocked all yous Nancy's
as we drank our whiskey.
Plotting nefarious actions
in the swamps of Mississippi.

Jimmy's got a buck knife
Larry's got two daddy sires.
So Larry got picked
to slash all y'alls tires.

Jimmy laughed and
some shine shot out his nose.
Larry got crazier and
did a hipster selfie pose.

John Law didn't need
to have much smarts.
Just stood around with a bic
waiting on the whiskey farts.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 pm

I like some beer, but not all, and I don't consider myself less of a man because I don't care to drink every iteration presented to me. Flavored beer would seem to be the crutch of a man who doesn't enjoy beer.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Okay.... Who really invented Pumpkin Ale? Was it the Pilgrims? Or the Puritans?

The Pilgrims were fleeing persecution by the Puritans in England. They were desperate, family folk, fond of bright colors and food -- when they could get it. Dire straits may have led them to resort to such as pumpkin ale, rather than starve.

The witch-burning Puritans arrived 10 years after the Pilgrims and set about inventing things like pumpkin ale -- mainly to keep people from having any fun.

Wikipedia says that pumpkin ale was invented in California in the 1980's. Those crafty old-hippies-turned-establishment-entrepreneurs blamed George Washington.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_ale
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:21 am

Del wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 pm
Okay.... Who really invented Pumpkin Ale? Was it the Pilgrims? Or the Puritans?

The Pilgrims were fleeing persecution by the Puritans in England. They were desperate, family folk, fond of bright colors and food -- when they could get it. Dire straits may have led them to resort to such as pumpkin ale, rather than starve.

The witch-burning Puritans arrived 10 years after the Pilgrims and set about inventing things like pumpkin ale -- mainly to keep people from having any fun.

Wikipedia says that pumpkin ale was invented in California in the 1980's. Those crafty old-hippies-turned-establishment-entrepreneurs blamed George Washington.

Who actually invented it?

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 am

Del wrote:
Where did you get your reading skills?
(From the link)
Brewing of beer with pumpkin dates to before the founding of the United States.[3][4] The first commercially brewed pumpkin ale came from Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, California, in the 1980s, the recipe based on brewing studies made by George Washington.

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:02 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 am
Del wrote:
(From the link)
Brewing of beer with pumpkin dates to before the founding of the United States.[3][4] The first commercially brewed pumpkin ale came from Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, California, in the 1980s, the recipe based on brewing studies made by George Washington.
Quoted, underlined, and highlighted. That's some real 13 year old girl territory right there.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:02 am
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:
(From the link)
Quoted, underlined, and highlighted. That's some real 13 year old girl territory right there.
Oh I knew I shouldn't have poked the bear. I couldn't resist though. I saw you in my mind at the bar gasping from cayenne, secretly wishing you would have ordered the pumpkin.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am
hugodrax wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:
(From the link)
Oh I knew I shouldn't have poked the bear. I couldn't resist though. I saw you in my mind at the bar gasping from cayenne, secretly wishing you would have ordered the pumpkin.
Oh, I bet it was hilarious when I realized. Stuff was rough. Anyway, you poked no bear. I'd have teased anybody that quoted, underlined, and highlighted. Then again, you were trying to make sure Del read it correctly.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:40 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm
Pumpkin Ale, oh, pumpkin ale
greatest of the season beers
We lift our glass and give a toast
to the puritans back all those years!
Pumpkin ale, yes, pumpkin ale
you don't show without the bitchers
But we just laugh, kick them out the bar
and refill all our pitchers!
Yes and Amen
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 am
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:
(From the link)
Oh, I bet it was hilarious when I realized. Stuff was rough. Anyway, you poked no bear. I'd have teased anybody that quoted, underlined, and highlighted. Then again, you were trying to make sure Del read it correctly.
Not to disturb the thread, but I had a PhD chem-e co-worker that highlighted, underlined, and used different sized and colored fonts as well. I wish I had a pic of his office.

Anyway, we're having pumpkin scones for breakfast this mrng. Blue Moon's pumpkin ale, not so good.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:59 am

Here's the thing with Pumpkin Ale. Each one is different. You've got to find your pumpkin ale or maybe it has to find you. One of the nastiest beers I've ever tasted in my life was a pumpkin ale. Don't give up.

The Great Pumpkin Ale is out there.

Waiting for you.

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:59 am
Here's the thing with Pumpkin Ale. Each one is different. You've got to find your pumpkin ale or maybe it has to find you. One of the nastiest beers I've ever tasted in my life was a pumpkin ale. Don't give up.

Waiting for you.

"I got a rock." -Hugodrax

Del

Post by Del » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 am
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:
(From the link)
Not to disturb the thread, but I had a PhD chem-e co-worker that highlighted, underlined, and used different sized and colored fonts as well. I wish I had a pic of his office.

Anyway, we're having pumpkin scones for breakfast this mrng. Blue Moon's pumpkin ale, not so good.
Ph.D. Engineer? I bet he packed one heckuva pocket protector!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am
tuttle wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:59 am

Waiting for you.

"I got a rock." -Hugodrax
:rotfl:
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Best Pumpkin Ale I ever ran into: Schlafly Pumpkin Ale ( https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/583/32767/ ). This is the cat's pyjamas. Yum!
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 pm

I stopped in at the LC to grab my wife some wine today, and they had a big display of different kinds of pumpkin beers. I grabbed a porter and an ale.

I had the porter tonight. It was ok, but I didn't really taste much pumpkin.

Happy Thanksgiving by the way.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 pm
I stopped in at the LC to grab my wife some wine today, and they had a big display of different kinds of pumpkin beers. I grabbed a porter and an ale.

I had the porter tonight. It was ok, but I didn't really taste much pumpkin.

Happy Thanksgiving by the way.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
That sounds like a win.