Pumpkin Ale

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Re: Pumpkin Ale

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't drink, but this would be reason enough to quit.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 pm
I stopped in at the LC to grab my wife some wine today, and they had a big display of different kinds of pumpkin beers. I grabbed a porter and an ale.

I had the porter tonight. It was ok, but I didn't really taste much pumpkin.

Happy Thanksgiving by the way.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
That sounds like a win.
Did you just concede that the best pumpkin ales are the ones that don’t taste like pumpkin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
I stopped in at the LC to grab my wife some wine today, and they had a big display of different kinds of pumpkin beers. I grabbed a porter and an ale.

That sounds like a win.
Did you just concede that the best pumpkin ales are the ones that don’t taste like pumpkin?

Concede? I concede nothing. I insinuated that the best pumpkin ales would not taste of pumpkin. :)

When's the last time you bit into a pumpkin and said "Mmmm, that's good pumpkin?" What freak craves the taste of pumpkin? Would not a pumpkin ale that didn't taste of pumpkins have a high likelihood of tasting like, I dunno, ale?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am
tuttle wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:59 am
Here's the thing with Pumpkin Ale. Each one is different. You've got to find your pumpkin ale or maybe it has to find you. One of the nastiest beers I've ever tasted in my life was a pumpkin ale. Don't give up.

The Great Pumpkin Ale is out there.

Waiting for you.

"I got a rock." -Hugodrax
Yep. I have to weigh in with the Tuts. All things come from the great pumpkin field. Pumpkins are really just a pleasant excitation in the field. And being Rusty along with a love of Halloween makes all orange stuff good. And anything pumpkin is especially so. Dogs love pumpkin too and it's quite good for them. Feed your loved ones pumpkin.
This year I'm going to try the Wild North Pumpkin Ale. This is my favourite season.
http://lakeofbaysbrewing.ca/wild-north- ... mpkin-ale/

"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

That sounds like a win.

Concede? I concede nothing. I insinuated that the best pumpkin ales would not taste of pumpkin. :)

When's the last time you bit into a pumpkin and said "Mmmm, that's good pumpkin?" What freak craves the taste of pumpkin? Would not a pumpkin ale that didn't taste of pumpkins have a high likelihood of tasting like, I dunno, ale?
I apologize. It was late at night when I posted that and I had forgotten that you had already come down on the side of 'Get-that-zederated-zederation-out-of-my-pint-glass.'

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

That sounds like a win.

I apologize. It was late at night when I posted that and I had forgotten that you had already come down on the side of 'Get-that-zederated-zederation-out-of-my-pint-glass.'
Meh. You want pumpkin booze, I wish you joy of it. There is more than one path to enjoyment,

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

That sounds like a win.

Meh. You want pumpkin booze, I wish you joy of it. There is more than one path to enjoyment,
I'm fully in agreement with you. I think pumpkin ale is ridiculous and I'm also in the 'Get-that-zederated-zederation-out-of-my-pint-glass' camp. One of the problems we run into with online threads is that, when you are looking at someone who makes a statement, or at least hearing their voice as they say it, it's easy to lose track of who said what unless you go back and refresh your memory. It seems that one tripped us both up on this thread.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:08 am

Pumpkin ale, O pumpkin ale
may your delicacies continually flow
let us not forget the harvesters
who labored and pruned at every row.
Pumpkin ale, yes pumpkin ale
may your gourd never be smashed
unless that gourd is me
at the bottom of ye glass!
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:08 am
Pumpkin ale, O pumpkin ale
may your delicacies continually flow
let us not forget the harvesters
who labored and pruned at every row.
Pumpkin ale, yes pumpkin ale
may your gourd never be smashed
unless that gourd is me
at the bottom of ye glass!
You're giving Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings a real run for her money.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 am

Pepik wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm
Best Pumpkin Ale I ever ran into: Schlafly Pumpkin Ale ( https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/583/32767/ ). This is the cat's pyjamas. Yum!
That one is at the top of the list for me as well!
Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 am

This year I'm going to try the Wild North Pumpkin Ale. This is my favourite season.
http://lakeofbaysbrewing.ca/wild-north- ... mpkin-ale/
That one has been added to the list.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 am

hugodrax wrote:
As imagers of God, mankind seeks to redeem lost things. No child of God in their right mind would pick up a pumpkin and take a bite and be content. But what an extraordinary reflection of the divine! The child of God takes that seemingly inedible orange stuff, and with love and tender care, turns it into something new, beautiful, and full of flavor. A flavor that is all pumpkin and yet, not at all what it once was. If any pumpkin is in beer it is a new creation. The old is gone and the new has come.
:signofcross:
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:42 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 am
hugodrax wrote:
As imagers of God, mankind seeks to redeem lost things. No child of God in their right mind would pick up a pumpkin and take a bite and be content. But what an extraordinary reflection of the divine! The child of God takes that seemingly inedible orange stuff, and with love and tender care, turns it into something new, beautiful, and full of flavor. A flavor that is all pumpkin and yet, not at all what it once was. If any pumpkin is in beer it is a new creation. The old is gone and the new has come.
I don't want to share a forest with you anymore.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:42 am
tuttle wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
:rotfl:

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am
hugodrax wrote:
tuttle wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
I wonder if Luther brewed anything with pumpkins...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Skip wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
tuttle wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

https://faithfulreaders.com/2012/05/01/ ... in-luther/

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm
Skip wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
tuttle wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

https://faithfulreaders.com/2012/05/01/ ... in-luther/
He really liked poo, so he'd probably have enjoyed it.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 am

Every year I want to like it, but I can't. Sorry. Same for the pumpkin latte. Just give me plain beer and plain coffee.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 am
Every year I want to like it, but I can't. Sorry. Same for the pumpkin latte. Just give me plain beer and plain coffee.
Coffee I agree with. Coffee should be black, roasted from all sorts of different beans.

What is a plain beer? Give me plain beer brewed from all different things to brew with. Wheat? Rice? Pumpkin? Barley? Pumpkin, the king of plain ol fall beers!

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 am
Cleon wrote:
Coffee I agree with. Coffee should be black, roasted from all sorts of different beans.

What is a plain beer? Give me plain beer brewed from all different things to brew with. Wheat? Rice? Pumpkin? Barley? Pumpkin, the king of plain ol fall beers!
To me "plain" beer is made from: grains, yeast, water, and some hops. No vegetables or fruit.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 am
Jester wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 am
Cleon wrote:

To me "plain" beer is made from: grains, yeast, water, and some hops. No vegetables or fruit.
No apple ale?