How's the weather where you are ?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Arizona. Land of rocks that float. And wood that sinks. In rivers of no water.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:12 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm
Arizona. Land of rocks that float. And wood that sinks. In rivers of no water.
Land of Canadian snowbirds. My father used to live in Mesa from late October through until March. The rest of the year he lives in White Rock, BC. Apparently the place (Mesa) was infested with Canadians. He's too old to go down anymore. I told him he's missing snow in his life. He used to tease me on really cold windy days that I couldn't remain indoors. "It's minus 40 and howling out there, and so you think it's a good time to go out." It was true. Ice boat sailors are a particularly rugged breed. The winds would blow the snow off the lake leaving a nice ice surface, for miles. Good sailing. If one didn't own a boat, and the ice boaters didn't have a place for you, then you could make do with ice skates, a sheet, and some broom handles. But it's scary. You have to wear hockey shin pads & a helmet at least because you will fall.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Been quite warm here, and bone dry. In a few days from now, this very large high pressure system may finally give way to a return of monsoonal flow, and the blessed clouds it brings.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am

It has turned to autumn today. Cool, cloudy, breezy. Most of the birch trees are now adorned with golden crowns.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:24 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am
It has turned to autumn today. Cool, cloudy, breezy. Most of the birch trees are now adorned with golden crowns.

Wow. That is REALLY early for leaves to start turning color.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 am

Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

No, not for the birch trees. They are the first to go, along with small bush shrubs. Usually around this time. It always feels too early though :(

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:43 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:24 am
ReverendThom wrote:

That's winterpeg you're talking about. Summer warmth is just a veneer. The leaves may be starting here too. After all the rain this year (the leaves are dense on the trees and fat) I suspect we're going to have a lot of colour.

6 C last night. I guess that's like low 40's F. The furnace went on automatically at something like 5 am. So the house was probably chilly. It might make it up to 15C or 16C today. Oh joy! It's 9C and breezy right now, which is 48F? Something like that. It's unseasonably cool.
Summer, such as it was, is over. If this keeps up we will have frost before the end of Sep.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:46 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:43 am
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

That's winterpeg you're talking about. Summer warmth is just a veneer. The leaves may be starting here too. After all the rain this year (the leaves are thick and fat) I suspect we're going to have a lot of colour.

6 C last night. I guess that's like low 40's F. The furnace went on automatically at something like 5 am. So the house was probably chilly. It might make it up to 15C or 16C today. Oh joy! It's 9C and breezy right now, which is 48F? Something like that.
Summer, such as it was, is over. If this keeps up we will have frost before the end of Sep.
And we may have seen the last of the 110+F temps for the year.... maybe.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

That's winterpeg you're talking about. Summer warmth is just a veneer. The leaves may be starting here too. After all the rain this year (the leaves are dense on the trees and fat) I suspect we're going to have a lot of colour.

6 C last night. I guess that's like low 40's F. The furnace went on automatically at something like 5 am. So the house was probably chilly. It might make it up to 15C or 16C today. Oh joy! It's 9C and breezy right now, which is 48F? Something like that. It's unseasonably cool.
Actually I'm in your province, at the cabin (between Kenora and Sioux Narrows) ... So ok, a lot closer to winterpeg than Ottawa :)

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:17 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:42 pm
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Actually I'm in your province, at the cabin (between Kenora and Sioux Narrows) ... So ok, a lot closer to winterpeg than Ottawa :)

'K. I should have guessed that. You radio execs are good at seizing the extra long weekends. Are you going swimming this weekend? What about the weather report? Has there been frost at night yet? Numbers are reality.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

'K. I should have guessed that. You radio execs are good at seizing the extra long weekends. Are you going swimming this weekend? What about the weather report? Has there been frost at night yet? Numbers are reality.
I took the whole week off - turned 5 days off work into 10 at the cabin with weekends.

No frost yet. The worst low has been 10c so far.

Looks like summer appears again tomorrow with a high of 24.

Rusty

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:45 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 pm
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

I took the whole week off - turned 5 days off work into 10 at the cabin with weekends.

No frost yet. The worst low has been 10c so far.

Looks like summer appears again tomorrow with a high of 24.

The whole week! Did you tell them it's paternity leave? Did they shut the city down for labour day? The old 1000 Hz test pattern signal. "Bye Winnipeg... see ya Tuesday." A whole week in western Ontario. Wow. You must be a cracker-jack radio exec.

We're going down to 6C again tonight. High of 17C tomorrow. That's better than today and it's not rain. The leaves are changing. It's not just Birches either. It's Maples. Red maples. This is early. They're protesting. Altogether too much partying.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:46 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:43 am
Goose55 wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

That's winterpeg you're talking about. Summer warmth is just a veneer. The leaves may be starting here too. After all the rain this year (the leaves are thick and fat) I suspect we're going to have a lot of colour.

6 C last night. I guess that's like low 40's F. The furnace went on automatically at something like 5 am. So the house was probably chilly. It might make it up to 15C or 16C today. Oh joy! It's 9C and breezy right now, which is 48F? Something like that.
And we may have seen the last of the 110+F temps for the year.... maybe.
I surely do hope so. I have been nursing along my poor little recently planted Tangerine Cross Vine now that the house eaves no longer shade it. The plant only has a few runners and can't yet shade itself yet, so I am watering often & pinning up a white sheet over it. Hopes are it will begin to look less distressed in October.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 am

Frosty. 3C this am. That's prob. a new record. Frost reports throughout the valley. But sunny. Tomorrow the dregs of Harvey visit E. Ontario. I hope you guys wrung it out before exporting it.

Ah yes, coldest Sep 1 on record in Ottawa and the valley.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 am

The high is forecast to be 92F today.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:15 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 am
The high is forecast to be 92F today.
About the same here. Tail end of a tropical depression swinging up over us from the eastern Pacific.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Summer came back today. Sunshine and about 24, with a nice breeze. The dogs and I went fishing finally.Image

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 pm
Summer came back today. Sunshine and about 24, with a nice breeze. The dogs and I went fishing finally.Image

Little dogs are so cute. I think my cat, Lucy would like them....

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am

Heavy monsoon swept back in here late yesterday afternoon & evening, with a lot of localized rain--and wind--in various places. We did get some here, but hardly enough to measure. We sure could use another big storm or two. So far, only about 2 inches, and monsoon is about over. But who can tell anymore, with the weather being so wild.

I think this most current monsoon activity has been somehow affected by all the moisture that dumped on SE Texas,.. for that is where our monsoon weather comes from.

Presently we are mostly cloudy, winds calm, and cool. About 75 F.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Don't tell Rusty's pool boy, but it's sunny and 33c here. That's like what, 93F? In the middle of September yet!
We took baby for her first beach day