How's the weather where you are ?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by gaining_age » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:13 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:23 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:57 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm
We had a dusting of snow last night. My city went bat%^&* crazy.
Snow in Texas...that flys in the face of the whole Global Warming idea
Um... no.

52 F and partly cloudy.
I went to Arizona a few years back in early May for a week of training and I dealt with snow 4 mornings in a row and we had to delay leaving because the hotel parking lot had been snowed in and they didn't have the equipment to dig it out.
Yes. I am not sure why it is difficult to understand. Increased temperature is adding energy to the climate. This extra energy increases volatility. Snow in south Texas (areas with little history of snow) may be a sign of climate volatility--a sign of climate change in the form of increasing warmth--especially if these temperature/weather extremes occur at increasing rates (or less time between instances).
<insert exotic energy diagrams > I know why it is difficult to understand... <insert and entropy/temperature equations and relations and closed vs. open systems analysis>

And... TOS ... TOS.... TOS.... moving on. Looks like we're back to 70s for a while after 60s today.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:15 pm

As a side note-- we're having a pretty typical La Nina-- the polar stream shifts and dips to give you snow in Texas.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:37 pm

A little snow
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm

My grandpa got snow in Mission, TX...

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 am

Wow, snow in the southern States. Houston is probably quite right to go bat**** crazy. First there was harvey and now this in the same year. They have to be wondering what is next. I would be worried too.

We like snow so I like all the pics that I found but I understand that it's unusual. It's cold here but a warm wet spell took away the snow. Oh we have flurries almost daily but it's busy irritating the southern US States. That's ok, we can wait and enjoy your snow pics in the meantime.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 am

At sunrise, 52 F degrees, calm, & partly cloudy. Spinach seedlings are now nearly all sprouted up in the tiny raised box garden. But the Red Romaine lettuce have yet to emerge. Hoping the 2016 seed was still viable.
Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:56 am

45 F and sunny
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

Clear to partly cloudy with highs in the low to mid 70s for as far as can be seen in the extended forecast
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am
Clear to partly cloudy with highs in the low to mid 70s for as far as can be seen in the extended forecast
That's a bit warm. Wouldn't you prefer sunny and 12 F? No wind either. New snow is still reflecting sunlight in large crystalline flakes. Very pretty. Perfect for enjoying a nice Latakia mixture. I'm thinking of opening a tin of Westminster.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm
Goose55 wrote:
That's a bit warm. Wouldn't you prefer sunny and 12 F? No wind either. New snow is still reflecting sunlight in large crystalline flakes. Very pretty. Perfect for enjoying a nice Latakia mixture. I'm thinking of opening a tin of Westminster.
I love that first whiff upon opening a tin of Westminster.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 am

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
I lived for a few years in SW Michigan and north central Indiana and that was cold enough for me. I don't like cold. I like heat.

Currently, in Ajo,...

Temp 51F
Pressure 30.34 in
Visibility 10 miles
Clouds
Few 15000 ft
Few 20000 ft
Dew Point 19 °F
Humidity 22%
Rainfall 0 in
Snow Depth 0 in

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 am
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
I lived for a few years in SW Michigan and north central Indiana and that was cold enough for me. I don't like cold. I like heat.

Currently, in Ajo,...

Temp 51F
Pressure 30.34 in
Visibility 10 miles
Clouds
Few 15000 ft
Few 20000 ft
Dew Point 19 °F
Humidity 22%
Rainfall 0 in
Snow Depth 0 in
It's a bit nippy here at -16C (3F) and dropping to -21C (-6F) over night. Plus there's a breeze so it feels a bit colder. But it's clear, of course. -17C at the the top of the world in Alert and we're dropping with the temp up there. It's warmer in Winnipeg so the world is out of kilter. -5F used to be the lower limit for the little kids (6-8 yo) playing organized hockey on outdoor rinks. Many memories there. We volunteered to make sure they weren't being frost bitten or losing toes due to tight skates when it was below zero. As 14-16 yo we each had one or two little ones to watch over.

We have some snow again too and the lakes up here are starting to freeze over so one can see snow on the lakes. They won't be clear again until mid April. Everything is hibernating except the most hardy creatures.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:50 pm

No snow, even in the mountains, and it’s unusually warm for this time of year.
Ski areas here are really hurting.

One of my students is Ski Patrol at Telluride. She hasn’t worked a single day yet.

Mrs. DP loves it. She hates snow.
Go figure. She married a former ski bum.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Tomorrow will have a high of 72 F but after that highs only in the mid sixties. Partly cloudy on Sunday but otherwise sunny.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am

57 F windy, and overcast in the am. Clearing and breezy in the afternoon

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 am

Highly unusual small thunderstorms rolled through here early in the morning. Some with nearby lightning strikes. I've lived here off and on for almost 10 years and this NEVER happens in December. T-Storms are during monsoon (July-Sept)

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Skip wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Cold. And windy. I can deal with the cold. Stupid wind.
Especially when trying to light your pipe!!! :x
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Warm and sunny.

It feels like spring, not Christmas.
Go figure?!

When our granddaughters were here, Christmas before last, we had 4’ of snow on the ground.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm
Warm and sunny.

It feels like spring, not Christmas.
Go figure?!

When our granddaughters were here, Christmas before last, we had 4’ of snow on the ground.
Oh boy! The photo reminds me of a massive rock formation, most similar to the one behind you in this great photo! All the locals called it something, which a sieve of a memory now 'days was Ship-something. Ship-Rock? With our oldest daughter and only son, we climbed it one day and I gook photos of us sitting on the crest of the 'bow' of the ship.

Thanks for sharing this photo. I've passed Durango several times! Merry Christmas!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake