How's the weather where you are ?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by Rusty » Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:48 am
Rusty wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 3:38 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:54 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am
A weird May. Many, extended unusually cool periods. And lots of wind. Today, another 3-4 inches of wind.

Somethin's happenin' here with the weather, on our tiny blue marble.
Okay - you keep giving wind measurements in inches and it's confusing me. Most people measure wind as a speed - mph, kph, mps, etc. What are these "inches of wind" that you keep referring to?
I live in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. We receive very little rainfall here. So, we instead measure wind in inches.
Not all of us.
That's all you have to say? Physicists, pfff. I would have guessed that you'd take some interest in explaining. There's an interesting question on the table.

I think the measure (inches of wind) is really measuring dynamic pressure due to wind speed and it's inches-Aqueous or Inches-Aq that is actually being measured in an instrument. It's the dynamic pressure, due to air movement or wind, required to suspend inches of water in a tube. I don't know what the instrument looks like. This is not static pressure eg atmospheric pressure being measured. This measure appears to be most often used with big Church pipe organs where the air pressure, or wind, is required to make sounds in the pipes. I would guess that there is (or one can derive) an equation that relates Inches-Aq to wind speed. Do you have a table of inches of wind vs. wind speed, Goose?

Raining here. Grey. Yechh.
I have been having several interesting questions on the table and don't always have time to sort through all that come across my plate. In this case, I was trying to identify as a "near neighbor" and that not all around these parts use that quaint phrasing--- as such, I'm not familiar with the background. I did a brief search on it and found no details. I did not find info in CRC either. Cest le vie.
Yes, google was surprisingly unhelpful on "inches of wind". It was the reference to pipe organs that google provided that made it click with me. Quaint is the word but from the tables provided in Ed's last url ref. it appears to have a real application with infiltration and load in the building/construction industry.

When Goose tells us he has 3"-4" of wind he's apparently saying he's got Beaufort scale 12 hurricane winds over 75 mph (according to the table provided by Ed). That's some figure of speech. Perhaps a reference table would be helpful so that you folks know when to pray for Goose and his home. I think he also mentioned 6" of wind at one point which apparently corresponds to wind speeds over 100 mph. I'll bet he ties down the stummels airing out in the backyard in those conditions. Stay tuned, more Goose weather, and a Goose lexicon are planned.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue May 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
A weird May. Many, extended unusually cool periods. And lots of wind. Today, another 3-4 inches of wind.

Okay - you keep giving wind measurements in inches and it's confusing me. Most people measure wind as a speed - mph, kph, mps, etc. What are these "inches of wind" that you keep referring to?
I live in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. We receive very little rainfall here. So, we instead measure wind in inches.
Not all of us.
That's all you have to say? Physicists, pfff. I would have guessed that you'd take some interest in explaining. There's an interesting question on the table.

I think the measure (inches of wind) is really measuring dynamic pressure due to wind speed and it's inches-Aqueous or Inches-Aq that is actually being measured in an instrument. It's the dynamic pressure, due to air movement or wind, required to suspend inches of water in a tube. I don't know what the instrument looks like. This is not static pressure eg atmospheric pressure being measured. This measure appears to be most often used with big Church pipe organs where the air pressure, or wind, is required to make sounds in the pipes. I would guess that there is (or one can derive) an equation that relates Inches-Aq to wind speed. Do you have a table of inches of wind vs. wind speed, Goose?

I have been having several interesting questions on the table and don't always have time to sort through all that come across my plate. In this case, I was trying to identify as a "near neighbor" and that not all around these parts use that quaint phrasing--- as such, I'm not familiar with the background. I did a brief search on it and found no details. I did not find info in CRC either. Cest le vie.
Yes, google was surprisingly unhelpful on "inches of wind". It was the reference to pipe organs that google provided that made it click with me. Quaint is the word but from the tables provided in Ed's last url ref. it appears to have a real application with infiltration and load in the building/construction industry.

When Goose tells us he has 3"-4" of wind he's apparently saying he's got Beaufort scale 12 hurricane winds over 75 mph. That's some figure of speech. Perhaps a reference table would be helpful so that you folks know when to pray for Goose and his home. I think he also mentioned 6" of wind at one point which apparently corresponds to wind speeds over 100 mph. I'll bet he ties down the stummels airing out in the backyard in those conditions. Stay tuned, more Goose weather, and a Goose lexicon are planned.
Based on the clues you gave, I did some additional Google-work. It appears that the "inches of water" is a pressure normally stated as PSF (pounds per square foot, presumably). With that in mind, this chart would indicate that 3 inches is about 34 mph and 6 inches is about 48 mph. It is possible, that if we continue working as a team, we may one day understand Goose. Of course, we've not even gotten close to understanding his proclivity for cat videos.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue May 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:04 pm
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Not all of us.

When Goose tells us he has 3"-4" of wind he's apparently saying he's got Beaufort scale 12 hurricane winds over 75 mph. That's some figure of speech. Perhaps a reference table would be helpful so that you folks know when to pray for Goose and his home. I think he also mentioned 6" of wind at one point which apparently corresponds to wind speeds over 100 mph. I'll bet he ties down the stummels airing out in the backyard in those conditions. Stay tuned, more Goose weather, and a Goose lexicon are planned.
Based on the clues you gave, I did some additional Google-work. It appears that the "inches of water" is a pressure normally stated as PSF (pounds per square foot, presumably). With that in mind, this chart would indicate that 3 inches is about 34 mph and 6 inches is about 48 mph. It is possible, that if we continue working as a team, we may one day understand Goose. Of course, we've not even gotten close to understanding his proclivity for cat videos.
LOL! I took Ed's 3rd url ref in providing wind speed in mph.
See table here -- http://www.nctlinc.com/velocity-chart/ Inches of water is in brackets in that table.
The table you referenced is in pounds per square foot to mph wind speed and not in Inches-Aq to wind speed. Important difference.
Nice additional ref. though I think you might consider concentrating on the cat stuff.

At least your original question has an answer.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Tue May 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:12 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Not all of us.

See table here -- http://www.nctlinc.com/velocity-chart/ Inches of water is in brackets in that table.
The table you referenced is in pounds per square foot to mph wind speed and not in Inches-Aq to wind speed. Important difference.
Nice additional ref. though I think you might consider concentrating on the cat stuff.
Let me start by saying that I REFUSE to take cat video duty. The chart you are referring to seems awfully confusing to me - too many columns that mention inches of water and velocity in mph. If you just look at the two columns at the far right of the top portion, it looks almost identical to what I came up with, but I don't know if those are the correct two columns. Maybe I was overly optimistic in my statement that we may one day understand Goose.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:20 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

Not all of us.

Let me start by saying that I REFUSE to take cat video duty. The chart you are referring to seems awfully confusing to me - too many columns that mention inches of water and velocity in mph. If you just look at the two columns at the far right of the top portion, it looks almost identical to what I came up with, but I don't know if those are the correct two columns. Maybe I was overly optimistic in my statement that we may one day understand Goose.
Yeah, I know... it's the too many notes syndrome. But it's easy to see in the far right two columns the numbers (units provided by me)

5.25 psf (1.01 In-Aq) ----> 45.86 mph wind speed. That's consistent with your table reference. So about 1" Aq corresponds to 45 mph wind. I'll let you find corresponding entries for 3" - 4" Aq. But 1" Aq does not correspond to 1 psf. This is why the cat duty is yours.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Tue May 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Not all of us.

Yeah, I know... it's the too many notes syndrome. But it's easy to see in the far right two columns the numbers (units provided by me)

5.25 psf (1.01 In-Aq) ----> 45.86 mph wind speed. That's consistent with your table reference. So about 1" Aq corresponds to 45 mph wind. I'll let you find corresponding entries for 3" - 4" Aq. But 1" Aq does not correspond to 1 psf. This is why the cat duty is yours.
I see where I went wrong - I forgot about the stupid parentheses.

Therefore, preliminary research on cat videos shows people love cat videos because: In short, it seems that everybody who cares has a theory, but none of them seem to agree which theory is correct. In Goose's case, I suspect it's all of them...every single one...plus a few more that nobody has thought of yet. Plus he likes to watch us cringe when he posts the videos.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:55 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

Not all of us.

Therefore, preliminary research on cat videos shows people love cat videos because: In short, it seems that everybody who cares has a theory, but none of them seem to agree which theory is correct. In Goose's case, I suspect it's all of them...every single one...plus a few more that nobody has thought of yet. Plus he likes to watch us cringe when he posts the videos.
Not exactly what I expected. But it's the weather thread. I think Goose posts the vids because he enjoys them and presumes that we do too, maybe secretly. The cringe alternative strikes me as out of character for Goose, but what do I know. My dog likes his cat vids. I'm not sure what she actually gets from them. But she sits and watches the cats in our neighbourhood too with some fascination. Doesn't chase the cats, interestingly.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Tue May 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Not exactly what I expected. But it's the weather thread. I think Goose posts the vids because he enjoys them and presumes that we do too, maybe secretly. The cringe alternative strikes me as out of character for Goose, but what do I know. My dog likes his cat vids. I'm not sure what she actually gets from them. But she sits and watches the cats in our neighbourhood too with some fascination. Doesn't chase the cats, interestingly.
To be fair, you're probably right. My wife has a pomehuahua (pomchi is such a boring name) that is frenetically exuberant when greeting people. He seems not to realize that he comes on a bit strong and assumes that you're as glad to see him as he is to see you. Goose is probably like that with the cat videos only a bit more subdued.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:11 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

To be fair, you're probably right. My wife has a pomehuahua (pomchi is such a boring name) that is frenetically exuberant when greeting people. He seems not to realize that he comes on a bit strong and assumes that you're as glad to see him as he is to see you. Goose is probably like that with the cat videos only a bit more subdued.
Meow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiIu3YNeiU
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 am

Yet even cooler today after some sort of weather system blew through here last evening.

I have to see if I can untangle the mess that is the Tangerine Cross Vine. It never did adhere to the stucco as the nurserymen said it would, and I am hanging some grid so I can tie the vine up with green, soft twist wire. My goal with it is to get the vine to grow up and out to attach to the office and LR new solar block window screens. These are south facing windows and I want to see green.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Beautiful evening with low humidity and a gentle south breeze up off the Sea of Cortez. Blissful, with a big bowl of McClelland 5100/ 5115, and a refreshing Gin Tonic. Felt really good after a long City trip today.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 am

A lot cooler today, and in the forecast, several inches of wind.

Starting to get an increase in humidity, and dew point now, also,.. as we get nearer to monsoon season which officially begins on July 1st.

Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 31%

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 am

Starting to get an increase in humidity, and dew point now, also,.. as we get nearer to monsoon season which officially begins on July 1st.

Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 31%
Right now it's a touch warmer here than in Ajo. Canada-hot. And you don't even have 1/2 inch of wind, you twit. Maybe it's several inches of wood that you're bragging about. Get thee to church!
The pool boy is finally happy. It's going up to 31C today. It's a pool-boy's dream. The girls are showing plenty of skin. Mukluks and parkas are long gone.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:37 am

ImageImage

Beautiful morning on the Missouri River here in the middle of Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:04 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 am
Goose55 wrote:

Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 31%
And you don't even have 1/2 inch of wind, you twit. Maybe it's several inches of wood that you're bragging about. Get thee to church!
But, Nay! Ye are oft times also the silly, annoying one. You've never set foot in the Sonoran Desert, so how can you also be an expert, and lecture about that?

What is it about you, anyway, that you always have to be right about everything? Go on. You can tell us. Was it something that happened to you when you were a child?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:04 am
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 31%
And you don't even have 1/2 inch of wind, you twit. Maybe it's several inches of wood that you're bragging about. Get thee to church!
But, Nay! Ye are oft times also the silly, annoying one. You've never set foot in the Sonoran Desert, so how can you also be an expert, and lecture about that?

What is it about you, anyway, that you always have to be right about everything? Go on. You can tell us. Was it something that happened to you when you were a child?
Condolences on the lack of wood.
The moose and I ferreted out the details about your wind measurements. I think you could improve your honesty when you report. That should be a Christian urge. Would you prefer to deceive and lie? Your understanding of the measure is flawed. Review the posts and the URL links above this and adjust your reporting accordingly. We are watching.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:15 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:04 am
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 31%

Condolences on the lack of wood.
The moose and I ferreted out the details about your wind measurements. I think you could improve your honesty when you report. That should be a Christian urge. Would you prefer to deceive and lie? Your understanding of the measure is flawed. Review the posts and the URL links above this and adjust your reporting accordingly. We are watching.
I've said this before, but just for you, I will say it again. Referring to wind, in inches is a figure of speech. You know what that is. There's nothing scientific about it. These parts get so few inches of rain, but a lot of wind. So, "we" speak figuratively, or--if you will--metaphorically, about inches of wind.

Let it go. Get over it. Why get your shorts all twisted out of shape over it?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 pm

The humidity this time of year is often in single digits, but never this low

Heat Index 94 °F
Dew Point -4 °F
Humidity 2%

6:30 pm

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Hot and stormy lately

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:26 pm

We are presently at 99 F at 11:30 am. Monday and Tuesday highs will be 113 & 114.