True or False: US Landed on Moon in 1969

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community

US Landed on Moon in 1969

True
83%
False
17%

Total votes: 76

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: True or False: US Landed on Moon in 1969

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:42 am

A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:It didn't happen. But it does read, down to details, just like Verne's 1865 novel. 8) Verne had a poor understanding of physics.
Now he get's the reference. Lord. Are all Canadians so witless and dull?
Nope, just me. :lol: Is your little spiteful mind too small to understand why Verne was completely wrong? Perhaps you can explain what would be necessary to achieve any orbit, around the moon or the earth.
I do not need to understand the underlying scientific principals in order to know that an hundred and fifty year old work of fiction did not, in fact, occur in real life. I can determine that without math.
I already explained why it couldn't have occurred. That's not the question. What would have to happen or be modified for Verne's vehicle to enter orbit around the moon or the earth? C'mon, exert your mind. There is no way that it will enter orbit around anything. What happens with Verne's shot, assuming his vehicle survives the atmosphere? It goes up, now what?
Hint: What shape describes the path of Verne's vehicle? Now what is the shape of an orbit? They're different.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:18 am

Truth be told the first man on the moon was a woman in the 1950's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qw86DsdZ0

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:01 am

Roadmaster wrote:Truth be told the first man on the moon was a woman in the 1950's

Poppycock.

The first successful landing party to attain the lunar surface were Messrs. Nostradamus, Alcofrisbas, Omega, Micromegas and Parafaragaramus in the subsequent relaunch of the space program in the year 1902. The space cannon and bullet shaped aluminium capsule (which both worked perfectly, no matter what Rusty says) were pulled from the mothballs and requisitioned by the French government for the then fledgling pan-European Astronomical Exploratory Commission.

Least there should be any further doubt or spreading of pernicious untruths, almost the entire lunar launch, expedition, and successful return were documented through the then recent innovation of the cinematographic moving picture. The footage still survives and is reproduced in its entirety below. [BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk[/BBvideo]Now, everybody needs to shut up.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:48 am

A_Morley wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:Truth be told the first man on the moon was a woman in the 1950's

Poppycock.

The first successful landing party to attain the lunar surface were Messrs. Nostradamus, Alcofrisbas, Omega, Micromegas and Parafaragaramus in the subsequent relaunch of the space program in the year 1902. The space cannon and bullet shaped aluminium capsule (which both worked perfectly, no matter what Rusty says) were pulled from the mothballs and requisitioned by the French government for the then fledgling pan-European Astronomical Exploratory Commission.

Least there should be any further doubt or spreading of pernicious untruths, almost the entire lunar launch, expedition, and successful return were documented through the then recent innovation of the cinematographic moving picture. The footage still survives and is reproduced in its entirety below. <video removed> Now, everybody needs to shut up.
LOL! It's Fiction vs. Physics.

With the cannon shot the capsule achieves maximum velocity at exit from the gun barrel, in the dense part of the planet's atmosphere. All manned rocket flights achieve max velocity high above the atmosphere. The rockets are much much slower than the cannon shot at launch. The path they follow is also different. You might compare these to model rockets which are much more like the cannon-shot.

A ballistic cannon shot follows a parabolic arc and on exit from the barrel immediately starts losing significant speed due to the stresses inherent in high speed flight through a dense atmosphere. It's like throwing a rock up in the sky. Except the capsule is a super-heated rock that will be destroyed by the stresses of high velocity flight in the dense part of the atmosphere. It's still on a parabolic arc and will fall back to Earth.

What does rocket flight look like by comparison... Slow build up of velocity protecting the vehicle from the stresses of travel through the dense lower atmosphere. They limited the shuttle to 3 g's and they actually throttle back the main engines very early in flight to maintain that. It isn't until they're over 11 km high that they throttle the engines back up again. This is part one of the problem - getting above the atmosphere.

The second part of the problem is changing the path of the vehicle so that it can orbit ie from a parabolic arc to an elliptical or circular orbit. Every orbital maneuver from now on is a segment of an ellipse. This is true of a orbital path or Translunar injection to the moon as well. The path of the vehicle is quite different than a cannon shot and it is very noticeable in the ascent. It has to match the orbital speed tangent to the Earth inherent in the vehicles height or it will not remain in orbit.

There are two tasks and they cannot be performed by a ballistic cannon shot on the ground - get above the atmosphere and get to orbital velocity. This is the explanation that I asked for.

Look what a manned rocket actually does...

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoNITE-CLc[/BBvideo]

You are "negative return" Morely. :lol:
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Found a video that explains it all.
Apparently it involved Kubrick, Nixon and maybe the Beatles.

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5tWYmIOWGk[/BBvideo]
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:40 am

Ranger 7 was the first successful moon landing. With the follow-on Surveyor missions man achieved the first successful moon soft landings beginning with Surveyor 1.

Ranger 1, launched 23 August 1961, lunar prototype, launch failure
Ranger 2, launched 18 November 1961, lunar prototype, launch failure
Ranger 3, launched 26 January 1962, lunar probe, spacecraft failed, missed Moon
Ranger 4, launched 23 April 1962, lunar probe, spacecraft failed, impact
Ranger 5, launched 18 October 1962, lunar probe, spacecraft failed, missed Moon
Ranger 6, launched 30 January 1964, lunar probe, impact, cameras failed
Ranger 7 launched 28 July 1964,impacted Moon 31 July 1964 at 13:25:49 UT, 10.35°S 20.58°W - Mare Cognitum
Ranger 8 launched 17 February 1965, impacted Moon 20 February 1965 at 09:57:37 UT, 2.67°N 24.65°E - Mare Tranquillitatis (Sea of Tranquility)
Ranger 9 launched 21 March 1965, impacted Moon 24 March 1965 at 14:08:20 UT, 12.83°S 2.37°W - Alphonsus crater
Surveyor 1 launched: 30 May 1966, landed: 2 June, 1966, 06:17:37 UT, 2.45°S 316.79°E - Flamsteed P

Out in the garage, I have a large photo of moon from Ranger 7 I grabbed from a man I once helped move. He was going to toss it out.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:13 am

hogleg wrote:Ranger 7 was the first successful moon landing. With the follow-on Surveyor missions man achieved the first successful moon soft landings beginning with Surveyor 1.

Ranger 1, launched 23 August 1961, lunar prototype, launch failure
Ranger 2, launched 18 November 1961, lunar prototype, launch failure
Ranger 3, launched 26 January 1962, lunar probe, spacecraft failed, missed Moon
Ranger 4, launched 23 April 1962, lunar probe, spacecraft failed, impact
Ranger 5, launched 18 October 1962, lunar probe, spacecraft failed, missed Moon
Ranger 6, launched 30 January 1964, lunar probe, impact, cameras failed
Ranger 7 launched 28 July 1964,impacted Moon 31 July 1964 at 13:25:49 UT, 10.35°S 20.58°W - Mare Cognitum
Ranger 8 launched 17 February 1965, impacted Moon 20 February 1965 at 09:57:37 UT, 2.67°N 24.65°E - Mare Tranquillitatis (Sea of Tranquility)
Ranger 9 launched 21 March 1965, impacted Moon 24 March 1965 at 14:08:20 UT, 12.83°S 2.37°W - Alphonsus crater
Surveyor 1 launched: 30 May 1966, landed: 2 June, 1966, 06:17:37 UT, 2.45°S 316.79°E - Flamsteed P

Out in the garage, I have a large photo of moon from Ranger 7 I grabbed from a man I once helped move. He was going to toss it out.
Wow. That's cool. Is that photo online?
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am

Lunar Grazing model (LGM)

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:20 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:09 am

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:16 am

It was me. I first piloted a hot air balloon thru a NC bank drive thru to get some vodka. Then I cranked up the heat and headed for Mars with a pitstop on the moon.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:19 pm

► Show Spoiler
http://www.space.com/16758-apollo-11-fi ... 7610706465
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:45 pm

I have on my wall, here in the ham shack, a color photo of Col. James Irwin, autographed to me and my wife, "His love, from Hadley Rill". It shows him saluting the flag on the moon during the Apollo 15 mission. After he retired from NASA, he did Christian motivational speaking and the photo was a gift from my grandparents who listened to him speak sometime in the mid 80s. I'd attach it but it's in a professionally mounted frame and I can't get it onto the scanner.

Rick Hadley,
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:48 pm

CW Spook wrote:I have on my wall, here in the ham shack, a color photo of Col. James Irwin, autographed to me and my wife, "His love, from Hadley Rill". It shows him saluting the flag on the moon during the Apollo 15 mission. After he retired from NASA, he did Christian motivational speaking and the photo was a gift from my grandparents who listened to him speak sometime in the mid 80s. I'd attach it but it's in a professionally mounted frame and I can't get it onto the scanner.

Rick Hadley,
Excellent! Between you and Hogleg, you've got some cool stuff.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:07 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:45 pm