Christmas Songs/Carols you hate

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Christmas Songs/Carols you hate

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:26 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Mary Did You Know?

Might have "accidentally" deleted that one at work the other day, before we go all Christmas music on Friday. Whoops

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:13 pm
From the other thread:
infidel wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 pm
tuttle wrote:I have developed a banned Christmas music list. I feel I'm pretty tolerant, but there is a limit to what a man can take. The following are banned at my house:

-"Last Christmas" by wham
-"Christmas Shoes" by...someone...country?
-"Santa Baby" (any version)
-"Step Into Christmas" by Elton John. I actually used to like it, until the dreaded year of 2013 when somehow, someway, I think I heard it every day of December. I banned it in a fit of rage.
I adopted your practice and have added these as well:

Baby it's Cold Outside
Blue Christmas
Rockin' around the Christmas Tree
Holly Jolly Christmas
The hippopotamus song
The two-front-teeth song
I saw mommy kissing santa claus
Do they know it's christmas
The Mariah Carey song
Anything by a former Beatle
Anything by a chipmunk

I've become almost reflexive at changing the channel or turning off the radio and shouting BANNED!
tuttle wrote:The Mariah Carrey song has come close a few times...but I think I've turned a corner on it. It's become one of those things that you hate so much you begin to love it. I found myself singing it out of the blue the other day. I might need help.
praying
You have saved us all a lot of work. Thank you.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 am

Any so called Christmas song that does not glorify God, Who gave us the first Christmas
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 am
Any so called Christmas song that does not glorify God, Who gave us the first Christmas
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Is it ok to hate caroling? You finally get a moment of peace to sit down and enjoy doing nothing and someone rings your doorbell, makes you get up off your fat butt, and stand at your door letting all the heat out while they perform an out of tune rendition of something probably listed in this thread. Then they have the audacity to expect a treat. A TREAT. Halloween was six weeks ago. A treat. At least then you had to put a little effort into dressing up. Sure, hold on, I'll run and mull some cider real quick. Meanwhile the ice is melting and watering down the bourbon sitting on the table next to your recliner. You want me to feel the joy of the season? Just LEAVE ME ALONE.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 pm
Is it ok to hate caroling? You finally get a moment of peace to sit down and enjoy doing nothing and someone rings your doorbell, makes you get up off your fat butt, and stand at your door letting all the heat out while they perform an out of tune rendition of something probably listed in this thread. Then they have the audacity to expect a treat. A TREAT. Halloween was six weeks ago. A treat. At least then you had to put a little effort into dressing up. Sure, hold on, I'll run and mull some cider real quick. Meanwhile the ice is melting and watering down the bourbon sitting on the table next to your recliner. You want me to feel the joy of the season? Just LEAVE ME ALONE.
Have you read My Lady Nicotine? I always loved the scene where he killed the waits (carolers).
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

JimVH wrote:
This.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:43 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm
Goose55 wrote:
I really want to see that image. But I apparently can’t.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Skip wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:43 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Balding, middle-aged African-American man giving the eye roll of derp.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Off Topic
sort of

When I am out and about town because I did not schedule the procurement of house hold items accordingly to prevent my need to go into any retail establishment from Nov. 20th to Dec. 29th, I simply turn off or unplug any offending "music" making device on my way.

I am heralded as a welcomed King in some circles for these actions.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:51 pm
Skip wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Thank you! I copied the link and was able to view it!

And for the record: I closed the report of "Bad Behavior from a member against others - be it harassment or out-of-line attacks or statements" for either the posting of the image or hugo's description thereof, I couldn't tell which. Bad Behavior would've been telling someone to pull the Yule log out of their butts or possibly suggesting they take a flying <zederated> at a red-nosed reindeer, and even that might be open to interpretation. If you can't handle the blitz, don't pull the Jesus juke. Even here.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am

Is it wrong to put this as a Christmas Carol that I hate (and have it represent pretty much all of the Hallmarkesque Christmas movies)?

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 am

Skip wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:51 pm
Skip wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Thank you! I copied the link and was able to view it!

And for the record: I closed the report of "Bad Behavior from a member against others - be it harassment or out-of-line attacks or statements" for either the posting of the image or hugo's description thereof, I couldn't tell which. Bad Behavior would've been telling someone to pull the Yule log out of their butts or possibly suggesting they take a flying <zederated> at a red-nosed reindeer, and even that might be open to interpretation. If you can't handle the blitz, don't pull the Jesus juke. Even here.
The testicular fortitude: propensity to derp ratio is all sorts of out of kilter.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 am

Skip wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm
JimVH wrote:
This.
Say it ain't so, boys. Say it ain't so.

I love caroling. We bring treats too. Candy canes for the people. Milk Bones for the dogs. The cats don't care.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 am
Skip wrote:
JimVH wrote:
This.

I love caroling. We bring treats too. Candy canes for the people. Milk Bones for the dogs. The cats don't care.
I have to agree with Jim and Skip and others...carolers are fine at the park, fine at the parade and selected other places and events...but not at my house
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 am
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:
JimVH wrote:
This.

I have to agree with Jim and Skip and others...carolers are fine at the park, fine at the parade and selected other places and events...but not at my house
I don't turn on my street light unless I am expecting visitors. Problem solved.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:09 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:
JimVH wrote:
This.

We have a neighbor that sees the lack of outdoor lighting as an opportunity/invitation to use our access to the greenbelt...I have asked nice but if the light is off...so the light stays on and I don't have to play security guard
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:21 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:09 am
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:
JimVH wrote:
This.

We have a neighbor that sees the lack of outdoor lighting as an opportunity/invitation to use our access to the greenbelt...I have asked nice but if the light is off...so the light stays on and I don't have to play security guard
That boy might need a little shootin

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:09 am
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Skip wrote:
JimVH wrote:
This.

That boy might need a little shootin
:lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )