Science in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Re: Science in the News

Post by peter cornbriar » Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 am

I just became a card carrying member of the Association for the Advancement of Science,(AAAS).Chose to pay$20 more/yr to receive AAAS' print version of their newsweekly,"Science". Just received my first copy.Most of the articles are way above my paygrade/chemistry,physics,astronomy,biology knowledge level.Got me a free t-shirt,too.51 issues come out to .39 cents/issue.
However I am having trouble with their insistence on Evolution and their take on Global Warming.Anyways, just got an e-mail from the home office revealing that my credit card number was no good.Now don't know if I should make the correction or just let my membership just die.
I do know that every research article has to have references and notes, plus every piece of research has to be validated by two non-interested scientists to validate the findings.Apparently no bogus research here.
Anyone subscribe to Science? I'd like to have a take on the magazine.
Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Fear God and keep His commandments,for this is the whole duty of man. Ecc.12:13

I get up, walk two steps, fall down and get up again only to repeat the same...if you meet me face down on life's pathway,please help me to get up.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 pm

peter cornbriar wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 am
I just became a card carrying member of the Association for the Advancement of Science,(AAAS).Chose to pay$20 more/yr to receive AAAS' print version of their newsweekly,"Science". Just received my first copy.Most of the articles are way above my paygrade/chemistry,physics,astronomy,biology knowledge level.Got me a free t-shirt,too.51 issues come out to .39 cents/issue.
However I am having trouble with their insistence on Evolution and their take on Global Warming.Anyways, just got an e-mail from the home office revealing that my credit card number was no good.Now don't know if I should make the correction or just let my membership just die.
I do know that every research article has to have references and notes, plus every piece of research has to be validated by two non-interested scientists to validate the findings.Apparently no bogus research here.
What an interesting thing to do. That's their general journal that is really addressed to their professional scientist readership. I think they have other more specialized journals as well. I've seen issues of it but I'm not a subscriber. It would surprise me if anyone on CPS was a subscriber. Wouldn't you rather read a science magazine whose audience is intended to be laymen? If the articles in the AAAS journal are way above your level of understanding then what are you getting from it?

Every research article is peer reviewed for acceptance in their publications but that doesn't necessarily mean the research is repeated to validate it. Their Statement Concerning Peer Review.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:52 am
+JMJ+
Sir Moose wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:35 am
I suppose this must be the thread for this link. Or I suppose I could have started a 'Chickens in the News' thread. Anyway....

The case for raising chickens in virtual reality
Ask, and you shall receive.
Apparently I need to make better use of the search function.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 11:01 am
Sir Moose wrote:
I suppose this must be the thread for this link. Or I suppose I could have started a 'Chickens in the News' thread. Anyway....

What year is it where you are?
It varies.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

It varies.
Was it May 2014 for you, when you posted?
That would be news for you if it was. Otherwise it's history, which is fine but you should say so.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

It varies.
That would be news for you if it was. Otherwise it's history, which is fine but you should say so.
Are you saying that it's not 2014? :confused: I may need to calibrate the settings on my time machine.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon May 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

It varies.
Are you saying that it's not 2014? :confused: I may need to calibrate the settings on my time machine.
It's not 2014. Is that science news too? 8)
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

That's gonna have a climate impact...
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat May 20, 2017 8:52 am

+JMJ+

A Defense of the Reality of Time

Physicists and philosophers seem to like nothing more than telling us that everything we thought about the world is wrong. They take a peculiar pleasure in exposing common sense as nonsense. But Tim Maudlin thinks our direct impressions of the world are a better guide to reality than we have been led to believe.

Not that he thinks they always are. Maudlin, who is a professor at New York University and one of the world’s leading philosophers of physics, made his name studying the strange behavior of “entangled” quantum particles, which display behavior that is as counterintuitive as can be; if anything, he thinks physicists have downplayed how transformative entanglement is. At the same time, though, he thinks physicists can be too hasty to claim that our conventional views are misguided, especially when it comes to the nature of time.

He defends a homey and unfashionable view of time. It has a built-in arrow. It is fundamental rather than derived from some deeper reality. Change is real, as opposed to an illusion or an artifact of perspective. The laws of physics act within time to generate each moment. Mixing mathematics, physics and philosophy, Maudlin bats away the reasons that scientists and philosophers commonly give for denying this folk wisdom. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

+JMJ+

NASA Spacecraft Finds a Chaotic Dance of Storms at Jupiter’s Poles

The top and bottom of Jupiter are pockmarked with a chaotic mélange of swirls that are actually immense storms hundreds of miles across. The planet’s interior core appears bigger than expected, generating surprisingly strong magnetic fields. Auroral lights shining in Jupiter’s polar regions seem to operate in a reverse way to those on Earth. And plumes of ammonia may be rising out of the planet.

[…]

With Juno’s orbits passing almost directly over the north and south poles, scientists now have a much better view.

That enables a much closer study of the powerful auroras, which are generated by charged particles traveling along Jupiter’s magnetic field. At Earth, charged particles from the sun speeding outward through the solar system are diverted by the planet’s magnetic field and slam into the ground in the polar regions. The expectation was that the same would be occurring at Jupiter.

Because Juno is not only looking at the auroras from above but also traveling through the magnetic fields and charged particles that generate the auroras, the scientists were able to see that the charged particles — mostly electrons — were traveling in the opposite direction at Jupiter: out of the planet into space. “That would be a complete 180 degree reversal of our thinking,” Dr. Connerney said.

[…]

The magnetic field is generated by the churning of electrically charged fluids at the core. On Earth, that comes from the convection of molten iron in the outer core. On Jupiter, the currents come from hydrogen, the planet’s prime constituent, which turns into a metallic fluid under crushing pressures.

For the magnetic field measurements, a glitch that has greatly slowed the pace of data gathering could turn out to be beneficial. A final engine burn last October was to put Juno in a 14-day orbit, but a pair of sluggish valves in the fuel system led mission managers to forgo that, and Juno remains in a 53-day orbit instead. The spacecraft is to make the same number of orbits and collect the same amount of data.

The longer mission means that Juno may be able to detect slow changes in the magnetic field. “That would be intriguing as well,” Dr. Connerney said.

The chaotic pattern of storms detected by Juno is also a surprise. Planetary scientists had wondered whether Jupiter would have a giant hexagonal pattern like that spotted on Saturn by NASA’s Cassini spacecraft. …

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Thu May 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Monkey mafia steal your stuff, then sell it back for a cracker
Long-tailed macaques living near an Indonesian temple have figured out how to run a ransom racket on visiting tourists.

The monkeys grab valuables, such as glasses, hats, cameras or, in one case, a wad of cash from the ticket booth, then wait for temple staff to offer them food before dropping their ill-gotten gains and dashing off with the tasty prize.

Although this behaviour has been reported anecdotally at Uluwatu Temple on the island of Bali for years, it had never been studied scientifically in the wild. So Fany Brotcorne, a primatologist at the University of Liège in Belgium, and her colleagues set out to discover how and why it has spread through the monkey population.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Thu May 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 4:27 pm
Monkey mafia steal your stuff, then sell it back for a cracker
Long-tailed macaques living near an Indonesian temple have figured out how to run a ransom racket on visiting tourists.

The monkeys grab valuables, such as glasses, hats, cameras or, in one case, a wad of cash from the ticket booth, then wait for temple staff to offer them food before dropping their ill-gotten gains and dashing off with the tasty prize.

Although this behaviour has been reported anecdotally at Uluwatu Temple on the island of Bali for years, it had never been studied scientifically in the wild. So Fany Brotcorne, a primatologist at the University of Liège in Belgium, and her colleagues set out to discover how and why it has spread through the monkey population.
And so it begins.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri May 26, 2017 11:02 am

How the transgenic petunia carnage of 2017 began

This is from the AAAS journal that Peter subscribed to.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:50 pm

+JMJ+

Proposed test would offer strongest evidence yet that the quantum state is real
A new algorithm could lead to experiments that provide the strongest evidence yet that the quantum state is real. Credit: Knee, IOP Publishing

(Phys.org)—Physicists are getting a little bit closer to answering one of the oldest and most basic questions of quantum theory: does the quantum state represent reality or just our knowledge of reality?

George C. Knee, a theoretical physicist at the University of Oxford and the University of Warwick, has created an algorithm for designing optimal experiments that could provide the strongest evidence yet that the quantum state is an ontic state (a state of reality) and not an epistemic state (a state of knowledge). Knee has published a paper on the new strategy in a recent issue of the New Journal of Physics.

While physicists have debated about the nature of the quantum state since the early days of quantum theory (with, most famously, Bohr being in favor of the ontic interpretation and Einstein arguing for the epistemic one), most modern evidence has supported the view that the quantum state does indeed represent reality.

Philosophically, this interpretation can be hard to swallow, as it means that the many counterintuitive features of quantum theory are properties of reality, and not due to limitations of theory. One of the most notable of these features is superposition. Before a quantum object is measured, quantum theory says that the object simultaneously exists in more than one state, each with a particular probability. If these states are ontic, it means that a particle really does occupy two states at once, not merely that it appears that way due to our limited ability to prepare particles, as in the epistemic view. …

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 pm
peter cornbriar wrote:
What an interesting thing to do. That's their general journal that is really addressed to their professional scientist readership. I think they have other more specialized journals as well. I've seen issues of it but I'm not a subscriber. It would surprise me if anyone on CPS was a subscriber. Wouldn't you rather read a science magazine whose audience is intended to be laymen? If the articles in the AAAS journal are way above your level of understanding then what are you getting from it?

Every research article is peer reviewed for acceptance in their publications but that doesn't necessarily mean the research is repeated to validate it. Their Statement Concerning Peer Review.
I don't because I refuse to pay the %120/year (latest offer I recieved) membership fee for the AAAS. Since work does not reimburse and being a member confers no benefit other subscription to Science (which I can read at work for free).

The thing with Science is they publish articles in a wide range of disciplines (all others tend to be specialized to various degrees) and to get published in Science the work has to be novel, and not derivative or directly based on previously published works. Two interesting journals/magazines more for the layman are The Scientist and The New Scientist (you can generally score a free subscription to them).

Peer review does not mean much, you can and do get crap (poorly designed experiments et c) published in peer reviewed journals as well as the converse where good work does not get published for a whole host of reasons. Though it is far better than the alternative of these pay to publish journals. (Got 4 papers sitting in peer review purgatory) No one repeats experiments to validate or haven't in the biological sciences for close to 20 years, no one has the funding anymore to spend the time and resources to do so. The only time this occurs is when someone needs to use a published method for their own research and find it does not work or their data assuming previously published results as given does not make sense. (Had that happen once.)
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 am

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 am
Rusty wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 pm
peter cornbriar wrote:

I don't because I refuse to pay the %120/year (latest offer I recieved) membership fee for the AAAS. Since work does not reimburse and being a member confers no benefit other subscription to Science (which I can read at work for free).

The thing with Science is they publish articles in a wide range of disciplines (all others tend to be specialized to various degrees) and to get published in Science the work has to be novel, and not derivative or directly based on previously published works. Two interesting journals/magazines more for the layman are The Scientist and The New Scientist (you can generally score a free subscription to them).

Peer review does not mean much, you can and do get crap (poorly designed experiments et c) published in peer reviewed journals as well as the converse where good work does not get published for a whole host of reasons. Though it is far better than the alternative of these pay to publish journals. (Got 4 papers sitting in peer review purgatory) No one repeats experiments to validate or haven't in the biological sciences for close to 20 years, no one has the funding anymore to spend the time and resources to do so. The only time this occurs is when someone needs to use a published method for their own research and find it does not work or their data assuming previously published results as given does not make sense. (Had that happen once.)
I enjoyed the Industrial Physicist when it was around. It had a nice spot on content and the section on "invisible physicists" were always interesting to read.
Archived items are available
https://www.aip.org/tip
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:31 pm

This event caught my attention. Changing beaches is nothing new-- -but this is cool just the same.

New island appears near NC coast
The 6s of 1st John:

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:41 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:31 pm
This event caught my attention. Changing beaches is nothing new-- -but this is cool just the same.

New island appears near NC coast
The stuff coming out of those holes has gotta go somewhere!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4