Great Potato Chips in History

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Great Potato Chips in History

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:36 pm
My wife bought a bag oc Lays Loaded Cheddar Bacon and Sour Cream chips for the game Sunday...we forgot to take them with us...I opened them Monday night when I got home from work and finished them last night when I got home from work.....

Jocose is ashamed of me...that works out...no sense in both of us being disappointed in my behavior...so I'll just pick up another bag on the way home tonight :)
Drop a little flax seed and you'll be fine.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 am

+JMJ+

Cape Cod Infused Jalapeño — Those familiar with Cape Cod (who isn't?), need no introduction to the base chip used here. The gimmick seems to be all in the flavoring. Or perhaps more accurately, in the aromatizing. Instead of being coated with flavor-seasonings, the finished (I assume) chips are 'spritzed' with vegetable oil infused with fresh ingredients. Jalapeño, in this case. While the topping is authentic, fresh and odiferously gratifying (and hot!), the unique processing allows the chip itself an unusual prominence. The gustatory experience is almost like munching plain, salted Cape Cod chips haunted by the Ghost of Jalapeño Past. Plain chips are surely noble and Cape Cods's are doubly-so, so this is certainly not a bad thing, and I eagerly finished the bag. Some may even find a best-of-both-worlds mojo going on here. But for me, 'tis perhaps a bit of a pretender to the flavored-chip throne.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 am
+JMJ+

Cape Cod Infused Jalapeño — Those familiar with Cape Cod (who isn't?), need no introduction to the base chip used here. The gimmick seems to be all in the flavoring. Or perhaps more accurately, in the aromatizing. Instead of being coated with flavor-seasonings, the finished (I assume) chips are 'spritzed' with vegetable oil infused with fresh ingredients. Jalapeño, in this case. While the topping is authentic, fresh and odiferously gratifying (and hot!), the unique processing allows the chip itself an unusual prominence. The gustatory experience is almost like munching plain, salted Cape Cod chips haunted by the Ghost of Jalapeño Past. Plain chips are surely noble and Cape Cods's are doubly-so, so this is certainly not a bad thing, and I eagerly finished the bag. Some may even find a best-of-both-worlds mojo going on here. But for me, 'tis perhaps a bit of a pretender to the flavored-chip throne.
What's the sodium content of the entire bag of chips?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Let the chips fall where they may.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL32tU1pAHM

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:14 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 pm

These and Mountain Dew got me through college.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am
What's the sodium content of the entire bag of chips?
I haven't been eating chips because of the carb content. I'm concerned about my sodium content, though not because the doctor has said it's something I should be concerned about. I guess just worrying for worry sake. I probably should try to roll back my sodium intake.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:42 pm

wosbald wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 am
+JMJ+

This was your most lucid work. Crisp and clearly written. Then you took it all back in the last sentence and I clearly recognized the Hand of Wos.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 am

+JMJ+

Ten Acre How Chicken Soup Saved The Day — Okay, okay already. Yes, the name alone bespeaks the brand's too-cool-for-skool hipness. But thankfully, these award-winning chips (or more properly, 'crisps' ) walk-the-walk and redeem what could have been a cynical exercise in market positioning into a impassioned encomium of potatoic virtue. The chips are both thin and substantial, exhibiting an elementally earthy flavor likely indicating heirloom cultivars. The seasoning is elegant, restrained and convincing, all-the-more remarkable given its vegan provenance. This sings the body poultry, yet without insinuation. Though another idiosyncratically obscure entry in a saturated market, this is highly recommended as an exemplar in its genre.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:45 pm

What was 20 cents is now $3.99. ....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:09 pm

+JMJ+

Mister Bee Honey Barbeque — Another entry in the Classic American Chip category, this regional produce's claim-to-fame consists in the loudly trumpeted slogan of being "The Only Potato Chip Made in West Virginia!". Leaving aside the current, literal accuracy of that claim, we are immediately know that we're in the presence of something special. As regarding the flavor profile of the base chip, if you've spent any time at all with long-established regional marques, then you've been through this territory before. It's a classic 1950's chip, with all of the toothsome charm and rote familiarity which such may entail. The topping is striking, in many respects evoking the powdery sweetness of Grippo's Bar-B-Q, yet sans that chip's savory and piquant spices. Here, instead, the mildly homey cloy of honey carries the day, and does so to good effect. Though it may not be positioned at the flashiest end of the snack-food spectrum, this chip's ingratiating companionability and staid elegance is enough to commend its gustatory virtues, just as its vaunted station in West Virginia history is enough to establish its preciousness as a cultural artifact, magnifying its gravitas as a worthy contender in the oft rough-and-tumble world of contemporary chipdom.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Anyone try the newest Lays flavor?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:54 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Anyone try the newest Lays flavor?

Mmmmm... pepperoni dogfart.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:34 am

+JMJ+

Wellsley Farms (BJ's) Kettle Cooked Sea Salt — Truly, these are a basic chip. "Basic" in the best-possible sense, that is. Which signifies that they are sans seasoning, save for salt. Nude. Nada. Naked. And in line with said "basic" thematic, these are traditionally — and thus, somewhat indolently — cooked. The kettleiest type of kettle chip. Which means that — bent, crinkled and, above all, folded — they craze into finely-honed, jagged daggers at the slightest provocation. Mindful munching is highly recommended. And which also means that these chips are sublimely greasy. The sad remnants nestled in the nether regions of the amply proportioned 30-ounce bag are awash in salty succulence. And at only $4.49 for these thirty lubricious ounces, the price is right, indeed.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 am

+JMJ+

Utz Ripples Fried Dill Pickle — Pennsylvania is a utopic haven for chip culture. To a degree perhaps, its lesser satellite, Ohio, marches in stalwart solidarity with the elder Commonwealth, though always a bit behind that signal polestar's lead. So, when dill is on the table, to present for consideration an also-ran pickle flavor would be the tired gambit of a snack-food feebling. Instead, enter fried dill pickle. Subtle sweet and toasty notes mellow what can often be an intermittently shrill experience: standard dill being apt for a Summer's seasonal dalliance, but one which the ripening of Fall can reveal as an overeager mispairing. "Crunch in haste; repent at leisure", as they say. Instead, here is a dill for the aeon. As suited to a cappella as it is to burgers and dogs, the rippling process indicates that dips are also prescribed. Though this reviewer had not opted for the latter twist at the time of this writing, one can only foresee these dill-icious beauties as a substrate admirably gracious to any sour-cream-&-onion extravagance.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Dang it boys! I can't eat this stuff anymore and now here you are, tempting, no, taunting me.

I'll never forgive any of you for this.
Chips are killers. Research shows it's worse than bacon. Apparently, it can kill in less time than second hand smoke.

Are you still on your healthy eating regimen or did you return to abuse?

A Catholic marketing chips on a Christian smoking site. What is the world coming to?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 am

+JMJ+

Lay's Wavy Fried Green Tomato — It's that time of year again. One knows that Summer is starting its long march to the grave when Lay's unveils the entrants in her Do Us a Flavor™ campaign. Fried Green Tomato, along with Crispy Taco and Everything Bagel, comprises this year's trio. One might think that Fried Green Tomato is a dish that, by virtue of being not only defined by a rather narrow band of flavor characteristics but also by a character that comes largely from a singular toothsomeness, would not felicitously lend itself to the chip format. But one would be wrong. Whilst the munching of these might not conjure immediate and unbroken apprehension of fried-green-tomatoey essence, the profile is balanced enough to both intrigue and ingratiate. Is it a necessary addition to chippery canon? No, of course not. In line with Do Us a Flavor's animating spirit, these novelty recipies are all superfluous. Ah, but what savory superfluity the late Summer brings!

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am

If I could only have one chip for the rest of my life...
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 am

I friggin love this thread. Eating Sea Salted Dirty Potato Chips now. Greasy and good.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:13 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am
If I could only have one chip for the rest of my life...
I have had a similar Maui Onion chip and liked them a lot. I love chips, but have for the time being, stopped buying them. As with other things like cookies, ice cream, and cakes,....too addicting.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis