Cool in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Cool in the News

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 am

infi-

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm

+JM+

Wizard of Wor Prototype Discovered: Invisible Monsters
ImageImage

… As for the game itself: “The play of the game is basic and there is no speech. It appears to be a never before seen Mini Cabaret Cabinet. The marquee and cpo say “Invisible Monsters” with Bally midway copyright underneath dated 1980. There are no serial numbers on the cabinet. The ROMs say I.M. in hand written ink. Someone else noticed the unusual cut out where the cpo (control panel overlay) is. This was a two player game…the normal Pacman Cabaret cab didn’t work….so they cut away the sides on the cabinet so 2 people could stand side by side. This is unique to this game only I believe.”

As it is, this is the only known version of this game in existence. Prior to the Craigslist ad, nothing was known about it, including that WoW was originally called Invisible Monsters. Troy is trying to get a hold of Mr. McHugh to get more details about this prototype but so far he has proven very difficult to get a hold of. I’m sure it would be interesting to find out more as to how the concept came about and how it evolved into what Invisible Monsters would become. …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGzRTOmd3H4

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:09 pm

4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Mon May 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed May 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Some of you may disagree with my categorization of this as "Cool in the news," but you're wrong.

The 75th Ranger Regiment Is Adding A Fifth Battalion
In a historic first, Task & Purpose has learned that the 75th Ranger Regiment will be activating a fifth Ranger battalion to provisional status on May 22. The new battalion, called the Ranger Military Intelligence Battalion, will be located on Fort Benning, Georgia, alongside regimental headquarters, the 3rd Ranger Battalion, and the Ranger Special Troops Battalion.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Earth has 9% more forest than we thought
And a new study obliges: Using satellite imagery, scientists have discovered global forest cover is at least 9 percent higher than previously thought....These newly reported dryland forests are scattered all over the world, but taken together, this is sort of like discovering a "second Amazon," as Patrick Monahan writes in Science Magazine.

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Fri May 26, 2017 10:58 am

+JMJ+

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters – the documentary about competitive Kong players Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe – is being turned into a musical according to Seth Gordon, the original film's director.

IGN spoke to Gordon recently, who confirmed the project and said that he's currently assessing the project's musical content, including "Museum of Your Heart" by Walter Day, founder of video game world record verifiers Twin Galaxies.

For more with Billy Mitchell and Walter Day, check out their recent visit to the office in this episode of The Game Informer Show.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:51 am

+JMJ+

Is Atari About To Announce A New Console?
Now, here’s something we didn’t see coming. Amid the usual pre-E3 news and rumours, Atari has posted an official teaser for the “Atari Box” a new Atari product the company says it has been working on for years.

It’s safe to say that Atari’s glory days as a household name are long gone. A string of poor business decisions and financial difficulties mean that a new console is almost completely out of the question.

Instead, with its evocative woodgrain and polished black plastic, the Atari Box looks to be some kind of retro micro console, similar to Nintendo’s recent NES Classic.

That said, the Atari Box website has a section for developers, suggesting that it could possibly run other games beyond the company’s own retro catalogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WNsmCpdhhY

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 am

Congress might create a new military branch: the Space Corps
The legislation in question is an amendment to the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the annual military funding and policy bill. The proposal would make the Space Corps an independent branch under the aegis of the Air Force, much like the relation of the Marine Corps to the Navy. But the Air Force is the proposal's chief critic, as senior Air Force officials have argued there is no current need to change from the present functionality of the existent Air Force Space Command.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am

+JMJ+

Super Rare Atari 2700 Found At California Thrift Store

According to Redditor L064N, he was shopping at a thrift store in Oceanside, California last week when he came across a very strange Atari console. Some quick Googling told him it was a rare prototype for the Atari 2700, an un-produced wireless follow-up to the 2600. He bought it for $30.

And then he sold it on eBay for $3,000

Planned for release in 1981, the Atari 2700 was a new iteration of the popular early video game console. Compatible with all Atari 2600 games and accessories, the core difference between the 2700 and its predecessor was a pair of wireless controllers that combined a joystick with a paddle.

The Atari 2700 got as far as marketing planning, as evidenced by the 1981 magazine ad above. It was a sleek unit, with built-in storage for the controllers in the console housing. …

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am