THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 pm

I fixed my single decade rosary this afternoon.

It was really bugging me.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 am

T.S. Eliot reads his Four Quartets
https://youtu.be/Ga8tQrG4ZSw

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 am

+JMJ+

In Lenten message, pope evokes end-times to describe ‘great tribulation’

ROME – Describing a world marked by signs of “the end of time,” including false prophets and cold hearts, Pope Francis on Tuesday urged Catholics to use Lent to counteract this “great tribulation” through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

In his annual message for Lent, released by the Vatican on Tuesday, Francis quoted a line from Christ in the Gospel of Matthew: “Because of the increase of iniquity, the love of many will grow cold.”

Those words, the pope said, come as Jesus is describing the end-times, in which “false prophets would lead people astray, and the love that is the core of the Gospel would grow cold in the hearts of many.”

Those false prophets, Francis said, come either in the form of “snake charmers,” “who manipulate human emotions in order to enslave others and lead them where they would have them go,” or “charlatans,” “who offer easy and immediate solutions to suffering that soon prove utterly useless.”

In either case, he said, the false prophets lead people to mistake false sources of happiness for real ones – which, he said, is a strategy typical of the devil.

[…]

In addition to deceit, Francis said hearts grown cold to the practice of charity are also a sign of the great tribulation.

“In his description of hell, Dante Alighieri pictures the devil seated on a throne of ice in frozen and loveless isolation,” he said.

The pope said lust for wealth is the usual form a cold heart takes.

“More than anything else, what destroys charity is greed for money, ‘the root of all evil’,” he said.

“All this leads to violence against anyone we think is a threat to our own ‘certainties’: the unborn child, the elderly and infirm, the migrant, the alien among us, or our neighbor who does not live up to our expectations,” he said.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 am

Archbishop Chaput on Christian masculinity---
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... says-50600

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:47 pm

The St. Paul's Catholic Student Parish on the University of Wisconsin campus has a Sunday evening Mass at 9:00 pm. This Mass is very popular and well-attended, considering the typical lifestyle and odd schedule of college students.

According to Pipeson, the after-worship fellowship featuring milk and breakfast cereal is also very popular.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:47 pm
The St. Paul's Catholic Student Parish on the University of Wisconsin campus has a Sunday evening Mass at 9:00 pm. This Mass is very popular and well-attended, considering the typical lifestyle and odd schedule of college students.

According to Pipeson, the after-worship fellowship featuring milk and breakfast cereal is also very popular.
Has anyone noticed that Rice Chex and Cheerios don't taste as good as they used to? I mean, when you open a new box of the stuff?
https://youtu.be/S4allm-Wwys

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm

I missed the turn to St. Thomas More Catholic Church and then got lost. Took me 15 minutes to get around.

According the the sign they have daily Mass @ 12:15p AND 5:15p.

I was there late afternoon and the sanctuary was open with a single door rear side, Perfect.

It was silent. Holy. Beautiful.

They have the monstrance directly behind the altar. I love that. I hope they have an adoration chapel.

Daily Mass at lunch or leave work early?

I need a PM on how to to go to confession for a decade or better worth of sin and not take up 3x the time saying so. Seriously.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:08 pm

+JMJ+

How Well Do You Know Pope Francis?

Five years ago, Pope Francis was elected to lead the Catholic Church. In that time, how much have you learned about the first Jesuit Pope? Loyola Press challenges you to take a fun, 10-question quiz: How Well Do You Know Pope Francis?

The quiz is part of a collection of resources to celebrate the fifth anniversary of Pope Francis’s election in March. Before you take the quiz, you might brush up on a few facts about the Pope with the infographic below. The infographic can be downloaded as a PDF here.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:08 pm
+JMJ+

Five years ago, Pope Francis was elected to lead the Catholic Church. In that time, how much have you learned about the first Jesuit Pope? Loyola Press challenges you to take a fun, 10-question quiz: How Well Do You Know Pope Francis?

The quiz is part of a collection of resources to celebrate the fifth anniversary of Pope Francis’s election in March. Before you take the quiz, you might brush up on a few facts about the Pope with the infographic below. The infographic can be downloaded as a PDF here.

I scored 8/10.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm

I got online last night to find some Friday fish fries and discovered that three Catholic churches in Ft Collins have them during Lent. But none publishes a menu to help guide my choices. I guess we'll just go in blind this year.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm
wosbald wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:08 pm
+JMJ+

I scored 8/10.
9/10 thanks to two lucky guesses. Interesting tactic.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm
I got online last night to find some Friday fish fries and discovered that three Catholic churches in Ft Collins have them during Lent. But none publishes a menu to help guide my choices. I guess we'll just go in blind this year.
You could always call ahead.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 pm
FredS wrote:
On the telephone?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 pm
FredS wrote:
On the telephone?
In my area, the Knights of Columbus replaced the fish fry with a “fish bake” citing health reasons. There is a parish in south county that still fries the fish and used Cajun seasoning, it’s pricey too! Very few parishes even have any Friday fish around here though, despite the huge Catholic population. If they made fish tacos it might be a different story. :taco:
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

The Italian Catholic Federation has the market sewn up for meatless dinners on Fridays during Lent at my parish.
Darned good, too!
$10/plate for adults and a drinkable wine is included.
The menu rotates between fish and chips, lasagna, and other meatless dishes.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm
The Italian Catholic Federation has the market sewn up for meatless dinners on Fridays during Lent at my parish.
Darned good, too!
Gotta love penance, right?

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am

+JMJ+

The Ignatian Workout for Lent: An Online Retreat

Tim Muldoon writes that, “Life in Christ demands the same kind of vigilance, preparation, and training that a person undertakes as an athlete.”

This Lent, become a spiritual athlete and join Tim for The Ignatian Workout for Lent. Each Monday he’ll share audio reflections accompanied by suggestions for prayer and action. Based on the book of the same name, the online retreat begins the week of Ash Wednesday and continues through Easter Week.

Retreat Introduction
Tim introduces us to the retreat below.

Ash Wednesday
Welcome to the week of Ash Wednesday. Pause and survey the landscape as you begin this online retreat, your Ignatian Workout for Lent.

First Week of Lent
Jesus calls us to repent and believe in the good news. We consider that in this week’s exercise in our retreat.

Second Week of Lent
In this week’s retreat exercise, we consider the theme “The Sick Need a Doctor.”

Third Week of Lent
In John’s Gospel, Jesus begins his public ministry with the miracle of changing water into wine. Why does he choose this action, rather than something more—well—Godlike? We consider that this week in our retreat.

Fourth Week of Lent
The story of Jesus calming the storm is the starting point this week in the retreat.

Fifth Week of Lent
Jesus faced his suffering with resolve. That’s the message this week in our retreat.

Holy Week
During this Holy Week, our retreat invites us to reflect on trial and suffering.

Easter Week
Our retreat now turns our attention to the Resurrection. Where will we recognize Jesus this Easter season?

Retreat Conclusion
Thank you to all who joined in our retreat. To close this retreat, Tim Muldoon invites you to consider the graces of Easter and how to integrate them into daily life.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm
Darned good, too!
Here we go---
2/16 Fish & Chips
2/23 Cheese Raviolis
3/2 Veggie Lasagne
3/9 Eggplant Parmagina
3/16 Stuffed Shells
3/23 Fish & Chips

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 am

Taken from another thread:

Is this a cry for help? :lol:

Just kidding.
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:04 am
One of the mysteries of CPS for me is how my protestant brothers strengthen my faith and my Catholic brothers make me want to sit in a different room.

Why must God be so knowable and definable? How is everybody so hellfired assured of themselves?

Don't think I'm knocking anything here. I've certainly taken the view that I have the best understanding of theology before and I'll probably do it again.

The older I get, the less assured I am I know anything about the ways of God. I'm discerning the Spiritual Franciscans right now and I do not know if I'm called or not, but I'm attracted by the concept of moving from the Gospel to life and from life to the Gospel.

The two can clash. The Gospel says don't divorce. In life, it happens. Should divorced and remarried couples receive communion? Time, prayer, and the Synods will decide. It isn't Drax' s call, thank God.

I hope someday to be an instrument of love. The Pharisee in me wants to be an instrument of His justice, and that isn't right. Maybe I'm just not supposed to treat those people like their disease will infect me.

Could you describe in more detail why you want to go sit in another room when confronted by a CPS Catholic? I’m not asking you to define the whole mystery of it, just better explain what had been revealed to you about the Catholics here that make you want to “sit in another room?” :wink:

I have noticed that the remaining Catholic or three that frequents CPS the last few years has been of a certain character that likes to think too much about things going on that have little to do with the simple pleasures the salt of the earth Protestants around here generally prefer. Those “salt of the earth”fellows are quite Catholic at heart I figger. :lol:

But we are Christians and we do know stuff. God revealed things about Himself to us. No shame in that.

Someday when you have a chance, Thunk, really appreciate a primer on the Eastern Catholics.
Someday perhaps. What sort of primer do you want? What exactly are you hoping to learn about? I must forwarn you though, I’m still very much in the “getting to know” stage of a couple of Eastern Catholic Churches that use the Byzantine Rite. I still know the Eastern Orthodox churches who use the Byzantine Rite Liturgies better, though not as well as I would like. I think a lot of Roman Catholics, tend to lump all Eastern Catholics together. I suppose even for us here in the US all “Eastern Catholics”are a novelty of sorts so we might band together in Spirit a bit.

But even among the various Eastern Catholics there is variation and different rites and different churches and different cultural expressions at work between them. For example, you would probably learn more about Alaxandrian Rite Catholocism as practiced in the Coptic Catholic Church by conversing with Thoth since he’s Coptic Orthodox.

My personal experience and interest is with the various churches who use the Byzantine Rite and have their histories and patronage primarily from Greek and Slavic cultures, which is weird even for me at times, because I was raised to be and think very Germanic and white bread American. After 15 years, the “Eastern” mindset is often an enigma. For me, the interest I’ve had in the Byzantine Rite churches were based in attraction, not unlike my propensity to find a wife who is very different than myself. In truth, I often find the works of the Roman Church more helpful to me spiritually and easier to understand in many ways, while the Byzantine experience a good compliment to that, though somewhat less easy and clear for me to understand. To make matters worse, there are some things Greek that really annoy me too!

Having said all that, it’s all sort of silly really. We’re all people in the end. In America the melding is already happening and on the Catholic side the Conference does a continual job of gluing it all together. It’s almost like choosing your favorite flavor of ice cream at 31 Flavors! The Mother Churches over seas seem farther away than ever for both the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics.
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 am

Hah. What with phone-posting in between appointments and general scatterbrainedness, I sometimes express myself badly. My apologies.

"Sitting in another room" doesn't mean conversion (for such it would be to become a Byzantine Catholic). I am Roman and always will be.

No, what I meant was my Protestant friends here often confirm that I really do believe in the tenets of Catholicism and my Catholic friends can show me how gracelessly arrogant we can be in our certainty. Nothing more.

And I can be more arrogant than most. Why else would I want to sit in another room? We should all sit at the same table, even if Del does persist in putting bread sticks up his nose. At least Bob spiked the punch bowl, right?