THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:13 am

My bishop happens to be bi-ritual, with faculties to celebrate the Byzantine Rite.

However, there is no Byzantine Rite community in our diocese. I would love to experience this worship someday.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 am

+JMJ+

In new school, Byzantine spirituality meets Montessori method
Montessori classroom. (Credit: zlikovec via Shutterstock.)

Sophia Montessori of Denver is in its final stages of its development, and classes for children aged between three and six are expected to start in the fall of this year. The school envisions Catholic teaching and the Montessori Method being brought together.

DENVER, Colorado - With the goal of encountering children on a more personal level to meet their academic and spiritual needs, a Montessori school influenced by the Byzantine Catholic tradition is opening in Denver, Colorado.

Pauline Meert, who co-founded Sophia Montessori Academy along with Irene O’Brien, said the two “wanted to combine Montessori and Catholicism because it just made so much sense.”

Meert said the school aims to help children fulfill their God-given potential, and that “the Montessori message really makes that possible for each child, not just for a classroom as a whole, but for each individual.”

Students in Montessori schools work in periods of uninterrupted time - ideally three hours - having the freedom to choose from an established range of options.

The Montessori Method uses hands-on techniques in presenting concepts to individual children, rather than a group oriented, lecture-based approach to learning. The student’s involvement in his or her own work then gives the teacher freedom to spend time with each child and cater to each of their needs.

Sophia Montessori of Denver is in its final stages of its development, pending licensing and a few business inspections. Classes for children aged between three and six are expected to start in the fall of this year, and both Meert and O’Brien hope the school, currently with 11 families enrolled, will grow in number and into the high school level.

When asked about the origin of the idea for the school, Meert discussed her connection to children and her dream helping bring about a child’s full potential. She began her Montessori training in high school, and later envisioned Catholic teaching and the Montessori Method together.

Meert said the school has been four years in the making, but that she added the Byzantine spirituality aspect within the past year after she became a parishioner at Holy Protection Parish in Denver.

“The Byzantine faith is going to be the foundation,” she said, noting that the day will begin with a form of the Jesus prayer. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 am

+JMJ+
wosbald wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:17 pm
Here's another thoughtful article [from Crux!] by Fr. de Souza. Though I think that he misreads the purpose of the article in the manner which I'd indicated earlier, he does make some valid counter-considerations.

Article by pope’s confidantes adds little to understanding Trump’s America
————————————————————————————————————————————————

Interesting counter-considerations to Fr. de Souza's counter-considerations.

Contra Fr. de Souza's criticism of Civilta
Friday, I wrote about the blockbuster article in Civilta Cattolica by Jesuit Fr. Antonio Spadaro and Rev. Marcelo Figueroa entitled "Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism in the USA: A surprising ecumenism." The response to the Civilta article has been quite remarkable, which is a good thing because the authors have initiated a conversation that has been whispered for sometime in official circles but which is now in the full light of day. Today, I would like to look at one of the responses, that by Fr. Raymond de Souza, published at Crux.

I chose de Souza because he raises the most serious challenge, the idea that none of what Spadaro and Figueroa write is based on reality.

[…]

Fr. de Souza complains that the Civilta article only points to Church Militant as an example of the kind of Catholic organization that fits their indictment. "Perhaps Michael Voris is successful, but only a vast ignorance of the American Catholic scene would consider Church Militant to be influential, let alone representative," de Souza writes. I suppose that depends on what you mean by representative. You could go to other websites or journals and find a similar bias towards a Republican agenda, a bias that in no way is required by a commitment to the Catholic faith in its fullness and integrity and in some ways should be, but isn't, challenged by the Catholic faith: First Things, CatholicVote.org, LifeSiteNews, Fr. Longenecker's blog at Patheos, the Acton Institute Power Blog and Catholic World Report. The Civilta authors could have chosen any of these, as they could have focused on the Register and its parent organization EWTN. Did I tell you about my friend who applied for a job at EWTN and who was told during one of the interviews that their reporters were never to criticize Donald Trump?

[…]

One thing that I do criticize Fr. Spadaro and Rev. Figueroa for is not explaining that while Church Militant may not be mainstream, it is not too far afield from the conservative Catholic mainstream either. Voris and his team of zealots may not have many subscribers, but EWTN, which is more nuanced, reaches many Catholics. Can a zealot who reaches few do more harm than a strong bias (and a bias against Francis) that reaches millions? Not only that, as any honest chancery official can tell you, the church does such a lousy job reaching young people, the few young people that a bishop is likely to meet fit the EWTN mold, giving pastoral leaders a distorted sense of what the lay faithful really think and feel about any particular topic. This is an issue that will concern this blog frequently in the next year as we prepare for the Synod of 2018 on Young People, the Faith and Vocational Discernment. For this reason, I wish Spadaro and Figueroa had selected EWTN not Church Militant to make their case.

[…]

Another line of criticism that has emerged over the weekend, though not one leveled by de Souza, and which must be debunked at the start of this conversation is that the left does it too, that Spadaro and Figueroa could have undertaken a broad examination of the same kinds of disturbing conflations of religion and politics on the left as they did on the right, with the same kind of shaky, and un-Catholic, intellectual pedigree. But, the two greatest alignments of the political left with the Christian churches in the 20th century started with religious insights, not political ones: The social teaching of the Catholic Church on social justice issues made its way through the labor movement and, eventually, into the Democratic Party platform and the policies of the New Deal, and the Civil Rights movement was born in the black church, and the Democrats eventually jumped on board. There was no equivalent on the religious and political left to the meetings in the spring of 1979 at which political operatives Richard Viguerie, Howard Phillips and Paul Weyrich, met with the Rev. Jerry Falwell in a successful effort to get him to launch what became the Moral Majority.

As well, it is worth noting that on the Catholic left there are plenty of prominent pro-life Democrats who are not shy about stating our positions, criticizing our party and its leaders, being to the Democrats what Gerson is to today's Republicans. Stephen Schneck, Cathy Kaveny, Nick Cafardi, Tony Annett, John Gehring, Charles Camosy, Meghan Clark and myself all write frequently for popular publications and we have all challenged the political left when we are inspired, in large part by our Catholic faith, to do so. Who is the conservative Catholic writer who so frequently challenges the Republican Party on economics or immigration or climate change or the death penalty or military spending? Yet it is we who were labeled "cafeteria Catholics"!!!!

The response to the article in Civilta was out of all proportion to the argument it contained. Which leads to my last point. The reason so many people are in such high dudgeon is that they now can attack Pope Francis without attacking Pope Francis. Both Fr. Spadaro and Rev. Figueroa are known to be close associates of the pope, but they are not the pope, so it is safe to hurl arrows their way. But, the critics are not fooling anyone. What Spadaro and Figueroa had to say is as obvious as the nose on your face. Those attacking them thought they owned the Church and are angry that Pope Francis has demonstrated that they do not. They were wrong. Now they are angry. It is pitiable.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 am

+JMJ+

Two (strong) views on blockbuster essay about U.S. religion, politics
Jesuit Father Antonio Spadaro with Pope Francis. (Credit: L'Osservatore Romano.)

On Monday, Crux's weekly radio show on the Catholic Channel, "Crux of the Matter," featured a conversation between Austen Ivereigh and Thomas Williams about a recent article by two close friends of Pope Francis asserting there's an "ecumenism of hate" in the United States in ties between Evangelical Fundamentalists and "Catholic Integralists." This is a transcript of their exchange.

A recent blockbuster article by two close friends of Pope Francis asserting there’s an “ecumenism of hate” in the United States, aligning fundamentalist Evangelicals with “Catholic integralists,” continues to kick up dust. Critics are deriding its grasp of American realities, while defenders insist it names an ugly truth that needs to be confronted.

Adding fuel to the fire, many people have assumed that because the authors are close to the pontiff, at least in some big-picture sense the article must reflect Francis’s own views.

To discuss the issues raised in the article by Jesuit Father Antonio Spadaro and Argentinian Protestant Marcelo Figueroa, this week “Crux of the Matter,” Crux’s weekly radio show on the Catholic Channel Sirius XM 129, which airs Mondays at 1 p.m. Eastern, invited two regular Crux contributors to weigh in:
  • Austen Ivereigh, a British Catholic intellectual and commentator and co-founder of Catholic Voices, who’s the author of a deeply approving biography of Pope Francis entitled The Great Reformer: Francis and the Making of a Radical Pope.
  • Thomas Williams, an American theologian and ethicist based in Rome, who also serves as the Rome bureau chief for Breitbart News.

Given those pedigrees, it may come as little surprise that Ivereigh and Williams had sharply contrasting views on the La Civiltà Cattolica article, with Williams describing its “bald statements” as “laughable by academic standards,” and Ivereigh insisting he’s “amazed” people seem to be missing the point, which is that the article’s core argument is “absolutely spot-on and irrefutable.”

The following is an excerpted transcript of the conversation between Ivereigh and Williams, which took place July 17. “Crux of the Matter” is co-hosted by Crux editor John Allen and co-editor and Vatican correspondent Inés San Martín. …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 am

+JMJ+

Parolin’s visit to Russia key step in Pope Francis’s courtship of Putin
President Putin meets Pope Francis at the Vatican in 2013. (Credit: Vladmir Putin personal website.)

The second highest-ranking official in the Vatican, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, is preparing for his August trip to Russia. The historic event represents a key step in Pope Francis’s courtship with President Putin, with one eye pointed toward ambitious ecumenical possibilities with the Orthodox Church and the other fixed on the Middle East.

ROME - If there’s one thing made clear by recent events, it’s that Pope Francis and his team does not believe the future of Catholicism will stem from the United States.

A recent article by two close friends of Francis that looks at a perceived alliance between fundamentalist Evangelicals and “Catholic integralists,” frowned at what it called an “ecumenism of hate” and offered a glimpse into what may be the pope’s personal perspective in this time of deep political and social divide in the U.S.

The Argentinian looks instead to the East, toward Russia and China.

Francis seems to have had an intuition that the profound changes taking place in the once great bastions of communism can offer a fertile ground for dialogue and the growth of Christianity in the context of an increasingly secular and individualistic West.

The pope has openly courted Russia and its vast number of Orthodox Christians, often incurring the criticism and disappointment of those who hoped to hear a stronger opposition from the Vatican towards Vladimir Putin’s authoritative, if not downright aggressive, internal and foreign policy.

The Holy See’s Secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, is readying for an August trip to Moscow, which will be an important step in furthering Vatican-Russian relations. Meanwhile, the Vatican’s number two will likely find a willing listener in Putin, who longs to establish himself as the new upholder of morality and defender of persecuted Orthodox Christians in many areas of the Middle East. …

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:21 am

Of all the talk around here about the social and political fallout from the world upon the Church, I feel compelled to add a perspective of my own. Having slept with the whore of atheism, I know her evils intimately. Hindsight is oftentimes 20/20 and it was the lack of faith on my part that allowed the demons to drag me into an abyss of loss and eternal despair. Happy as I was for it at times, I also knew from experience, that I had lost the bride. I was a member detached, who ignored the call to perfection and the grace that makes it possible. Nevertheless, I never really forgot what the groom provided and eventually I have begun to succumb to the reality of my loss. In the Orthodox rites I was provided much spiritual wealth and grace, it was I who didn't fully appreciate it, and something that I am beginning to now. It wasn't the lack of pastoral care to blame for my condition, it was my resistance to the gift of faith given to me. I cannot, at this time help but wonder if perhaps the people of God are failing to grasp this, starting with their Liturgical rites and sacraments. The rest of the political and social upheaval will fall into line. . .

Cardinal Sarah on the Mass.
Certainly, the Second Vatican Council wished to promote greater active participation by the people of God and to bring about progress day by day in the Christian life of the faithful (see Sacrosanctum Concilium, n. 1). Certainly, some fine initiatives were taken along these lines. However we cannot close our eyes to the disaster, the devastation and the schism that the modern promoters of a living liturgy caused by remodeling the Church’s liturgy according to their ideas. They forgot that the liturgical act is not just a PRAYER, but also and above all a MYSTERY in which something is accomplished for us that we cannot fully understand but that we must accept and receive in faith, love, obedience and adoring silence. And this is the real meaning of active participation of the faithful. It is not about exclusively external activity, the distribution of roles or of functions in the liturgy, but rather about an intensely active receptivity: this reception is, in Christ and with Christ, the humble offering of oneself in silent prayer and a thoroughly contemplative attitude.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 am

+JMJ+

Copyrighting the Church: From the Vatican to the Missionaries of Charity
Pope Francis dolls in a shop near Times Square in New York City ahead of the September 2015, visit by the pontiff. (Credit: Jocelyn Noveck/AP.)

The recent decision by a religious order to trademark its religious habit has been condemned by one former Vatican official as inappropriate, even though the Vatican itself has claimed the right to protect the image of the pope, claiming it as intellectual property.

[…]

Legal protections have an expiration date, meaning they are for the most part a 20th and 21st century issue. Which leads to some awkward realities.

The Missionaries of Charity can claim legal ownership over Mother Teresa, but the Franciscans and Dominicans can stake no claim on their founders, and have to grin and bear it if you sell a ‘St. Francis talking to the animals’ coffee mug, or ‘St. Dominic preaching to the Albigenses’ commemorative plate. The Vatican can stop you from publishing Laudato si, but the encyclicals of Leo XIII are in the public domain. You can mass produce a poster featuring Saint Ignatius Loyola, but you better check with a lawyer before printing one of Saint Maximilian Kolbe. …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:42 pm

+JMJ+

6 killed as tensions over shrine turn violent in Israel
A Palestinian protester throws a teargas canister fired by Israeli soldiers back during clashes on the Israeli border with Gaza, Friday, July 21, 2017. An escalating dispute over metal detectors at a contested Jerusalem shrine turned violent on Friday, setting off widespread clashes between Palestinian stone-throwers and Israeli troops. (Credit: AP Photo/Khalil Hamra.)

What began with the attempt by Israel to put up metal detectors at al-Aqsa Mosque after an attack that left two Israeli police dead, has now wrought more violence. A young Palestinian man broke into an Israeli settler's home to kill those he found there at dinner. The Church leaders in the Holy Land had been warning that any attempt to modify the Status Quo of the holy sites would lead to more violence.

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Israel sent more troops to the West Bank on Saturday, a day after a Palestinian stabbed to death three members of an Israeli family in their home and widespread Israeli-Palestinian clashes erupted over escalating tensions at the Holy Land’s most contested shrine.

The father of the 20-year-old Palestinian assailant said he believes his son was upset over the loss of Palestinian lives and wanted to protect the “honor” of the Jerusalem holy site.

A senior Israeli government official blamed the latest round of violence on what he said was Palestinian incitement against Israel and called on Palestinian leaders to help restore calm.

Disputes over the shrine, revered by Muslims and Jews, have set off major rounds of Israeli-Palestinian confrontations in the past. They were also at the root of the current violence which began last week when Arab gunmen fired from the shrine, killing two Israeli policemen.

In response, Israel installed metal detectors at the gates of the 37-acre (15-hectare) walled compound, portraying the devices as a needed security measure to prevent more attacks.

Christian leaders in the Holy Land have expressed “serious concern” over the escalation of violence at the site.

The Heads of Churches in Jerusalem - which includes the leaders of local Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant communities - issued a statement on the conflict on Wednesday.

“We are worried about any change to historical (Status Quo) situation in al-Aqsa Mosque (Haram ash-Sharif) and its courtyard, and in the holy city of Jerusalem,” the statement reads. “Any threat to its continuity and integrity could easily lead to serious and unpredictable consequences, which would be most unwelcome in the present tense religious climate.” …

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Our freedom to live as Catholics is still hanging by a thread.

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2 ... s-illegal/

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 am

Del wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm

It's a good thing Catholic living doesn't depend upon threads of freedom then doesn't it?

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 am
Del wrote:

It's a good thing Catholic living doesn't depend upon threads of freedom then doesn't it?
You mean that it's a good thing that we thrive under persecution?

Which reminds me: We should be talking more about Fatima.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 am
Del wrote:

You mean that it's a good thing that we thrive under persecution?
Yes, though I hardly feel persecuted yet. I'm about to leave to freely attend an extraordinary Mass without fear of any harm to me for it. Last week, I drove by a public sidewalk protest next to a PP clinic where Catholic Protesters where praying before a very large icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe, not a cop in sight or any trouble at all from anyone. All of this in California even! Of course, there are limits to what is socially accepted in talking about our faith, such is the nature of multicultural and multi religious secularism where we must all find a way to exist peacefully. Meanwhile, there are Christians in other regions of the world who are really being persecuted, whose churches are being confiscated by the state, the few they were permitted to have. Forced abortions and real death threats. That kind of persecution requires the infinite treasury of God's graces to be saved in for sure!

We live in decadent comfort to complain about California state governments who logically conclude their employee protection laws according to secular liberal values. Naturally, the Church loses a piece of it's own influence that it enjoyed up to now here. Now it must file suite and let the courts fight it out. Courts who must weigh the freedom of religion and individual rights. Oh the great trouble we have! Again we must rely upon the Graces of God to be saved here too! The real oppression is of a very different nature than threads of freedom I think.
Which reminds me: We should be talking more about Fatima.
Go for it!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:23 am

+JMJ+

Manichean-style hatred must be resisted on both left and right [Commentary]
A supporter of Donald Trump faces protesters outside Trump Tower. (Credit: Associated Press.)

A recent 'La Civiltà Cattolica' article denounced an 'ecumenism of hate' in the U.S. between fundamentalist Evangelicals and 'Catholic Integralists,' but Charles Camosy says that ironically, the article trafficked in the very dualistic thinking it denounced, and that 'Manichean poison' of either left or right damages the Body of Christ.

Given that our discourse is dominated by news stories and opinion pieces that generally refuse to float too far away from the theo-political corners in which they originate, it is a rare article indeed which gets broadly read in the U.S. Catholic world. But that’s precisely what has happened to a recent piece written by Father Antonio Spadaro and Rev. Marcelo Figueroa in La Civiltà Cattolica titled “Evangelical Fundamentalism and Catholic Integralism in the USA: A Surprising Ecumenism.”

Likely because this particular journal tends to serve as an unofficial mouthpiece for the Vatican, and also because the critical views offered in the piece were so scathing, it has prompted responses from many different corners of U.S. Catholicism.

There are so many different thoughts packed into their piece that it would be impossible to address them in a brief Crux commentary. But let me draw attention to one line of critique: the view of Spadaro and Figueroa that alliances between conservative Catholics and fundamentalist Evangelicals in the United States are constituted by a dualistic “Manichean vision.”

Such a vision divides between “absolute Good and absolute Evil”; between “sworn enemies” and “eternal friends.”

This “strange ecumenism,” the authors tell us, is based on “hate.” It is to be distinguished from the ecumenism offered by Pope Francis which “moves under the urge of inclusion, peace, encounter and bridges.”

Let us not miss the irony present in this kind of critique. In drawing the distinction this way-between the ‘good’ ecumenism of inclusion and peace, and bridges and the ‘evil’ ecumenism of hate-Spadaro and Figueroa perform the very thing they attempt to criticize.

This was not lost on Rusty Reno, whose response to their article pointed out that the La Civiltà Cattolica commentary is itself “laced with dualistic caricatures” and expressions of hate for evil figures such as Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and George W. Bush.

I’d add that, in not a few cases, the hatred from some on the Catholic left is so strong that it is transferred even to those who merely voted for one of the evil ones. Pew recently found, for instance, that close to half of liberals, if they discovered that a friend of theirs had voted for Trump, say it would actually put a strain on the friendship. A high percentage also claimed that they simply couldn’t stand to be in the same room as a Trump voter.

The evil Catholics who express doubts about climate change, or even about what the best kind of response is to climate change, are regularly put into the untouchable category of “climate denier.” Some, especially in the context of Laudato Si’, are explicitly put into the “dissenter” category.

As someone who did not vote for Trump, and is enthusiastic about Laudato Si’ and climate change activism, I obviously don’t have personal experience with how being on the receiving end of such hate makes one feel. But as an active member of the pro-life movement, I’m regularly confronted with a special kind of vitriol from those in the left, including Catholics, who accuse me of everything from being “pro-birth” to having a “fetus fetish.”

To understate the point: this doesn’t feel good.

It does not follow, of course, that merely because Spadaro and Figueroa have this blind spot their critique does not land. Though it is a bad mistake to paint either liberal Catholics or conservative Catholics with too broad a brush, it is fair to say that many in the conservative Catholic/Evangelical ecumenical camp they criticize also see the world in dualistic ways that are at times quite hateful. …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:59 am

+JMJ+

Pope Francis calls for “moderation and dialogue” in Jerusalem crisis
Israeli border police officers stand guard near newly installed cameras at the entrance to the Al Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, Sunday, July 23, 2017. (Credit: Mahmoud Illean/AP.)

Pope Francis has called for "moderation and dialogue" during the unrest in the Holy Land after Israel installed metal detectors at the Western Wall/Noble Sanctuary in Jerusalem. Christians and Muslims fear the move violates the "Status Quo" which has governed access to several Jewish, Christian, and Muslim holy sites for centuries.

Pope Francis on Sunday said he was following the recent events surrounding Jerusalem’s Temple Mount with “trepidation.”

Speaking during the Angelus, the pope called for “moderation and dialogue” after several people were killed over the past few days, and asked for prayers that both sides come together with proposals for reconciliation and peace.

[…]

The site is one of several governed by what is known as the “Status Quo,” an arrangement guaranteed by the Ottoman government in the 18th and 19th centuries laying out who controls aspects of seven sites in Jerusalem and two sites in Bethlehem.

Seven of these sites are Christian, and responsibility is shared between different Churches, and two - the Western Wall/Noble Sanctuary in Jerusalem, and Rachel’s Tomb in Bethlehem - are shared between Jews and Muslims.

Under the Status Quo, even the smallest change to any site must be approved by all the involved parties, and the unilateral installation of metal detectors could be seen as violating the principle.

[…]

On Monday, Franciscan Father Francesco Patton told SIR, the news agency of the Italian bishops’ conference, the situation was “very dangerous.”

Patton is the head of the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land, which has been given the task of protecting the Christian sacred places in the region.

He said the pope’s call to prayer is “fundamental” to all believers “because without this inner inspiration, which comes from God, it is hard for people to open themselves up to dialogue, reconciliation, and peace.”

Patton said the invitation to moderation and dialogue were important, because moderation is necessary “to avoid further fueling tension and violence” and dialogue is “a diplomatic, this is peaceful, instrument that helps to find consensus and compromise.” …

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Really, Wos?

:D
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:06 pm

+JMJ+
Skip wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm
Really, Wos?

:D
Wut? It was a follow-up, on Crux, to the last article.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 pm

+JMJ+

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:56 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 pm
+JMJ+

Lol!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 am

+JMJ+

Vatican: Jerusalem needs “internationally guaranteed” special status
Monsignor Simon Kassas, the Chargé d’Affaires of the Vatican’s mission to the United Nations, speaks on Tuesday during a United Nations Security Council debate on the Middle East. (Credit: Holy See Permanent Mission to the United Nations.)

A Vatican diplomat has told the UN Security Council the historical status quo of the holy sites in the Holy Land is "a matter of profound sensitivities,” and reminded them that Jerusalem is sacred to Jews, Christians, and Muslims. Israel sparked a crisis by unilaterally installing metal detectors at the Temple Mount, leading to Muslims accusing the Jewish state of trying to expand control at the site under the guise of security.

In the wake of a crisis surrounding the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, the Vatican on Tuesday told the United Nations Security Council it supported “a comprehensive, just and lasting solution to the question of the City of Jerusalem.”

Earlier in the day, Israel began dismantling metal detectors it had installed last week, after two Israeli policemen were killed at a checkpoint at the site, which is called the Noble Sanctuary by Muslims.

After the installation, Muslims began protesting, accusing Israel of trying to expand control at the site under the guise of security.

During the Security Council meeting, Monsignor Simon Kassas - the Chargé d’Affaires of the Vatican’s mission to the United Nations - said the Vatican said Jerusalem needs an “internationally guaranteed” special status, in order to ensure the freedom of religion of the city’s inhabitants, “as well as the secure, free and unhindered access to the Holy Places by the faithful of all religions and nationalities.”

[…]

Kassas told the Security Council “the historical status quo of the holy sites is a matter of profound sensitivities,” and reminded them that Jerusalem is sacred to Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

“Only last Sunday, during the Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square, Pope Francis, who is deeply concerned about the situation in Jerusalem, made a strong appeal for moderation and dialogue, praying that all may be inspired by the resolve to work for reconciliation and peace,” the Vatican diplomat said.

Kassas also reiterated the Vatican’s “firm support” for a two-state solution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUZflzhtXs

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 am

+JMJ+

No, Virginia, there’s no ‘secret commission’ on Humanae Vitae [Commentary]
A banner referencing "Humanae Vitae," the 1968 encyclical of Blessed Paul VI, is seen in the crowd at the conclusion of the beatification Mass of Blessed Paul celebrated by Pope Francis in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican Oct. 19. The Mass also concluded the extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the family. Blessed Paul, who served as pope from 1963-1978, is most remembered for "Humanae Vitae," which affirmed the church's teaching against artificial contraception. (Credit: Paul Haring/CNS..)

Rumors of late, circulated by mostly conservative blogs, have suggested that Pope Francis and Italian Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia have created a secret commission to reevaluate the teaching of 'Humanae Vitae,' Pope Paul VI's 1968 encyclical on birth control. As it turns out, establishing the truth of the matter is even easier than generating the conspiracy theory in the first place.

[…]

According to the rumors, a commission to review the document was allegedly put together under the cover of darkness by Pope Francis and Italian Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia, who last year was appointed by the pontiff to head the Vatican’s Academy for Life and to serve as Grand Chancellor of the John Paul II Pontifical Institute.

Paglia has denied that any such commission exists. Speaking recently with Argentine journalist Andrés Beltramo Álvarez, Paglia said, “There’s no commission, that’s all been made up.”

This interview was published online on July 13 in the Spanish Alfa y Omega. Paglia himself provided a translation into English via Twitter.

Yet on Tuesday, Vatican Radio published a separate interview with Father Gilfredo Marengo, a professor of theological anthropology at the St. John Paul II institute in Rome. Responding to questions, he said he leads a “research group” on Humane Vitae.

That raised some eyebrows, since Marengo is precisely the man the rumors had identified as leader of the alleged “reinterpreting-the-document” commission. So, I picked up the phone, called the John Paul II Pontifical Institute, and asked to speak with him.

He wasn’t there, but the person on the other side of the line happily gave me his email. I wrote, and not ten minutes later I had a response.

Marengo told me that, together with colleagues, he’s part of a research group on Humane Vitae, but it “has nothing to do with ‘reforming the encyclical’.”

Instead, the group is going through archives and documents that have been preserved from that era to reconstruct the writing process behind the encyclical.

“This is a historical-critical investigation work. Nothing else,” he said.

Emphasizing what he told Vatican Radio, Marengo said he sees “no need nor value in reforming what Humane Vitae teaches: At the beginning of the interview, I recognize its ‘prophetic’ value.” …