THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Rainman498 wrote:Catholics and Obama:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html
That's a real shock. I might need a whole half of a second to recover from that.
If you can stomach reading the remarks after the article, you'll find that the commentors on the Washington Post forum are enlighteningly clueless.

The secular persecutions have started, and we're first in line.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Pelosi starts to make sense...

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm

but not the way she probably intended
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... um=twitter

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:43 pm

The Diocese of Orange bought the Chrystal Cathederal!
Apparently they were jealous over tasteless cathederal in Los Angeles and likely wanted to show them that when it comes to tacky architecture, Orange is a force with which to be reckoned!
God help the church in California!

Del

Post by Del » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Hovannes wrote:The Diocese of Orange bought the Chrystal Cathederal!
Apparently they were jealous over tasteless cathederal in Los Angeles and likely wanted to show them that when it comes to tacky architecture, Orange is a force with which to be reckoned!
That is heinous.

Can that Evangelical idol to iconoclasm even be wreckovated?

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Del wrote:
Hovannes wrote:The Diocese of Orange bought the Chrystal Cathederal!
That is heinous.

Can that Evangelical idol to iconoclasm even be wreckovated?
Well, if it were green it would bear an uncanny resemblence to the Emerald City. Perhaps the Diocese of Orange is playing the munchkin card? :facepalm:

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:34 am

I really prefer the old school Gothic look, myself.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Is Bosco more Catholic (for the obvious reason) than Ovaltine?

Del

Post by Del » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:28 pm

I have been waiting for the three-and-a-half years, for the corrected translation of the Mass.

It is finally here, this Sunday, the First Sunday of Advent, 2011.

WHOO-HOO!

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Went to the local Catholic Bookstore to pick up a Daily Missal.

Me: I'm shocked that you guys still have these in stock.

Clerk: Well we just got a new shipment in, some people are waiting for the burgundy ones, and some want the editions that just have English with them and no Latin.

Me: Latin is fine with me, maybe I'll even learn some Latin one day.

Customer hanging out at register: [Starts saying something in Latin I don't understand]

Me: Well I'm way far away from that. I just came into the Church last spring.

Customer: Well you missed a lot then.

Me: That's what I hear.

Clerk: Well they are starting to move back to some of the Latin

Customer: I've missed the Latin, I wish we'd go back to it. Vatican II was like cutting our own throats. The whole world would be a better place if the 60's and 70's never happened.

Me: This is a story of a friend of a friend type thing, but I knew someone who was talking to an older priest that said they used to hold mass with a cheeseburger and pop.

Customer: Well all those guys are dead or dying now.

Me: It will be interesting to see where the Church goes in the next few years.

[Group agreement and small talk]

Wos - Did I just meet your dad? It was at St. Clarence bookstore in North Olmsted.
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 pm

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:Customer: The whole world would be a better place if the 60's and 70's never happened.
I like this guy.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 pm

colton wrote:
tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:Customer: The whole world would be a better place if the 60's and 70's never happened.
I like this guy.
I think he meant the 1560's and 1570's.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:13 pm

UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
I like this guy.
I like this guy.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 pm

UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
I like this guy.
Right? We'd be way better off without pencils and Livonia. Dark years, indeed.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:18 pm

+JMJ+

Polish far-right's 'no gay sex' logo sparks anger

The homosexual community in Poland -- where more than 90 percent of the 38-million-strong population is Roman Catholic -- has in the past complained of living in a "climate of fear".
Ya' think? :lol:

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:22 pm

colton wrote:
I like this guy.
There's a guy like that here in St. Joe, MO. He runs a little Catholic store called Salve Regina and I think he would completely repeal V2 if he could. He goes so far as to refuse to carry any materials on the Rosary that include the Luminous Mysteries.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:52 pm

What's a CATHOLIC? Is that a kind of coffee?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:53 pm

+JMJ+
Rainman498 wrote:
colton wrote:
I like this guy.
There's a guy like that here in St. Joe, MO. He runs a little Catholic store called Salve Regina and I think he would completely repeal V2 if he could. He goes so far as to refuse to carry any materials on the Rosary that include the Luminous Mysteries.
I like these guys.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

jo533281
like R2D2, just not as cool
like R2D2, just not as cool

Post by jo533281 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:21 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Rainman498 wrote:
colton wrote:
I like this guy.
I like these guys.
What are the Luminous Mysteries? I know nothing of the Rosary, or almost nothing. Enlighten us please.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm

jo, the Rosary is the flagship of formal Catholic prayer and it traditionally had 15 mysteries (events in the life of Christ and Mary) that one was to contemplate while saying it. However, several years ago, five new ones were added and the whole scheme of praying them throughout the week had to be changed in order to accommodate them.

Originally, you said the Joyous mysteries (about the birth of Christ) on Mondays and Thursdays; the Sorrowful Mysteries (about the death of Christ) on Tuesdays and Fridays; and the Glorious Mysteries (about the resurrection of Christ) on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Sunday's set depended on what time of year it was. To me, and most other traditionalists, this seems to be rather complete. But the Luminous Mysteries were added in to cover the teachings of Christ or other actions and were slammed into the Thursday spot and everything else had to be shuffled to fit it. The Luminous Mysteries were made optional, since it must have been anticipated that they would not be universally accepted. I don't say them, myself, as you can probably guess. I like to get my Rosary literature from Salve Regina for this reason.

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 am

Rainman498 wrote:jo, the Rosary is the flagship of formal Catholic prayer and it traditionally had 15 mysteries (events in the life of Christ and Mary) that one was to contemplate while saying it. However, several years ago, five new ones were added and the whole scheme of praying them throughout the week had to be changed in order to accommodate them.

Originally, you said the Joyous mysteries (about the birth of Christ) on Mondays and Thursdays; the Sorrowful Mysteries (about the death of Christ) on Tuesdays and Fridays; and the Glorious Mysteries (about the resurrection of Christ) on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Sunday's set depended on what time of year it was. To me, and most other traditionalists, this seems to be rather complete. But the Luminous Mysteries were added in to cover the teachings of Christ or other actions and were slammed into the Thursday spot and everything else had to be shuffled to fit it. The Luminous Mysteries were made optional, since it must have been anticipated that they would not be universally accepted. I don't say them, myself, as you can probably guess. I like to get my Rosary literature from Salve Regina for this reason.
Just to clarify...

Formal = structured
Formal == required

http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI