THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
graperonto
Usher
Usher

Post by graperonto » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:24 am

Forgive the intrusion...

As someone who is High Church curious, I thought I would ask this question (and since I'm new to CPS):

How many of you were born and raised Catholic and how many of you were adult converts (and from what other tradition)?

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 am

graperonto wrote: How many of you were born and raised Catholic and how many of you were adult converts (and from what other tradition)?
Baptized as an infant in the Lutheran Church, practiced nothing until 3-4 years ago (~age 24), went to a non-denom church (really Baptist) and was baptized again, came into full communion with the RCC last Easter Vigil.
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:12 am

graperonto wrote:How many of you were born and raised Catholic and how many of you were adult converts (and from what other tradition)?
I was received into full communion with the Catholic Church as an adult, nearly two decades ago.

My mom's side of the family was Southern Baptist, my dad's side Presbyterian (and Methodist and Episcopalian). After their own adult conversion experiences (when I was very young), we attended and I was raised in a nondenominational, charismatic evangelical congregation that grew from a home meeting and street-person ministry into a multi-thousand member megachurch. I went through primary school and junior high at the church school where (on the happy side of the ledger) I was taught a lot of Scripture. My wife and I were married by the pastor of the Christian & Missionary Alliance congregation I attended during university years, and in the years before my poping, we attended Evangelical Free churches.

My Catholic inquiry began during university years. I originally took it up to help disabuse a Catholic friend of the "nonsense and accretions" I thought his idolatrous co-religionists had heaped upon a simple Gospel. Thanks be to God, who had different plans. :)

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 am

@graperonto, I came into Communion on Easter Vigil 2010. Before that, I was a seeker (meaning I had no formal church) but I was raised and baptized in the Southern Baptist Church. I left it shortly after leaving home.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:17 am

How many of you were born and raised Catholic and how many of you were adult converts (and from what other tradition)?
Raised Southern Baptist. All but lost any real Christian faith in college. Still, though, couldn't deny that Christ was a unique category as far as founders of world religions go. "He spoke with authority, and not like one of the scribes".

In grad school, I had a close friend - also the most intelligent and unfailingly rational mind I had ever known - who experienced a radical conversion to Christianity and who challenged me in (what was left of) my (watery) faith.

Anyhow... I ended up Presbyterian, for a while, and was ordained an elder in the PCUSA. But if there is anything that will make you start looking hard at the question of Authority, it's being an elder in the PCUSA. What a circus. I mean, seriously, what a nuthouse.

One thing led to another, and I very cheerfully became a Catholic in 1993, and will ever be thus.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:19 am

Does anyone else notice the inordinate number of times the phrase "I was a Baptist" is coming up? The RCC is becoming the Home for Baptist Runaways.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:42 am

Rainman498 wrote:Does anyone else notice the inordinate number of times the phrase "I was a Baptist" is coming up? The RCC is becoming the Home for Baptist Runaways.
I still - on the whole - have a fondness and respect for the Baptist churches I was raised in. Good folks. But when it came to asking the Big Questions, I found little to go on. No real serious intellectual or theological heritage. Wondeful people, but somewhat suspicious of big words and book learnin'.

This is just my experience, of course.

I had to go outside Baptist circles to find good, meaty analysis, and that's how the dots began to connect back to the Church Fathers, Apostolic Tradition and the Magisterium.

graperonto
Usher
Usher

Post by graperonto » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:45 am

Rainman498 wrote:Does anyone else notice the inordinate number of times the phrase "I was a Baptist" is coming up? The RCC is becoming the Home for Baptist Runaways.
Actually when I am reading more here is that many were "nothing" or "drifting" or "wandered away" for a season before returning to faith in the RCC.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 am

+JMJ+
graperonto wrote:
Actually when I am reading more here is that many were "nothing" or "drifting" or "wandered away" for a season before returning to faith in the RCC.
That was me, too, in a way. Raised RC in the 1970's-80's Novus Ordo, wandered away for a few years, returned to be repulsed at the NO having changed all-the-more even in such a short time, parish-shopped and saw some even crazier stuff, found refuge in Uniat Eastern parishes and LMCs and plan on playing it safe until the craziness passes.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:00 am

graperonto wrote:
That's true. I was nothing like a Baptist when I began to approach my Christian faith again, but early on that was one place I naturally wanted to investigate more deeply. For nostalgia's sake, I suppose, I would like to have carried on as a Baptist, had it been possible.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

New Bishop Appointed

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm

A new Bishop for the Diocese of Fresno!
Fr. Armando X. Ochoa is heading West from the Diocese of El Paso.
Any El Paso-istas observations? Whats he like?

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:50 am

I once saw a sig line at a Catholic Forum:

Protons have Mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.

That is all – Have a good morning, guys.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:56 am

You're unaware of the militant Baptist conspiracy to infiltrate the RCC with posers?

Don't fall for it. :no:

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:14 am

dasmokeryaget wrote:
You're unaware of the militant Baptist conspiracy to infiltrate the RCC with posers?

Ha! :lol:

Like the Manchurian Candidate? Maybe I should stop answering the phone...

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 am

OldWorldSwine wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:

Ha! :lol:

Like the Manchurian Candidate? Maybe I should stop answering the phone...
Ummm Hmmm..... Otherwise it's Baptista Mind Kontrol drugs and trigger words you learned in the SBC church camp when you were a kid. Think MK Ultra buddy.

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Did we almost make it through today without this?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_ur ... 3NQA&gl=US
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 pm

+JMJ+
Immaculate Conception, pray for us.

Happy Feast Day!

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 pm

On another note, where can one go to learn how to pronounce Latin? I've been looking into saying some of the basic prayers in Latin and have them written down, but I'm not sure of the pronunciation.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Rainman498 wrote:On another note, where can one go to learn how to pronounce Latin? I've been looking into saying some of the basic prayers in Latin and have them written down, but I'm not sure of the pronunciation.
In general, Latin vowels are like Spanish vowels. Latin consonants are like English consonants.

Most of your favorite prayers have been set to chants, which you can find on YouTube.

Pater Noster
Ave Maria
Salve Regina, with chant notation
Salve Regina, with piercingly clear child's voice
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks! I was getting surprisingly close on my own. Perhaps I should look into a class or something. I find it very interesting. My priest gave me a little prayer book that had the Latin next to the English and it caught my attention.