THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 am

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Ha! I saw that Star Wars thingy on New Advent. I thought it was great.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Did the Second Vatican Council come with Midi-chlorians too?
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 pm

The Spirit of Vatican II shook its fists at the heavens and said, "Nooooooo!"
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

BluntLogic
Kerdy
Kerdy

Post by BluntLogic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:53 pm

There appears to be some resistance to the new English translation of the Latin Mass. If the new translation is more accurate, other than routine, why would anyone resist?
I see the infantile administrator strikes again. Sad, really.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:17 pm

+JMJ+
The line between "relevant" and "retarded" fine it is.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Michael
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Michael » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 pm

graperonto wrote:Forgive the intrusion...

As someone who is High Church curious, I thought I would ask this question (and since I'm new to CPS):

How many of you were born and raised Catholic and how many of you were adult converts (and from what other tradition)?
Adult convert here. Raised Southern Baptist, to which background I owe much. Pretty well left Christian faith in college, but a gracious God reclaimed me in graduate school with the following progression: Bible church, then Evangelical Free Church, then Bible churches again (including four years at a well-known evangelical theological seminary), then Presbyterian (PCA), then Episcopal, and finally received Easter 1998 into the Catholic Church. What more could one ask -- Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, Liturgy, Sacraments, Magisterium, the deepest wells of prayer and devotion, fellow pilgrims of every race and nationality, and most of all, our Lord Himself in the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar. Thanks be to God! Home at last!
Maigret had a joyful way of smoking his pipe.
A Crime in Holland, by Georges Simenon

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:02 pm

BluntLogic wrote:There appears to be some resistance to the new English translation of the Latin Mass. If the new translation is more accurate, other than routine, why would anyone resist?
You would have to ask one of them. I'm guessing you won't find many (if any) on here.

http://www.catholic.com/video/why-do-so ... f-the-mass

Haven't watched the video, but I'd bet it is pretty accurate, if not very.
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 pm

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:There appears to be some resistance to the new English translation of the Latin Mass. If the new translation is more accurate, other than routine, why would anyone resist?
You would have to ask one of them. I'm guessing you won't find many (if any) on here.

http://www.catholic.com/video/why-do-so ... f-the-mass

Haven't watched the video, but I'd bet it is pretty accurate, if not very.
OldWorldSwine is a personal friend of Jimmy Akin.

Jimmy Akin is a pipe smoker, too.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:24 am

I have only seen a little of that, but it seems that it is a case of simply not adapting well to change.

The standard 'old fart' response, "Couldn't they have just waited until I died to do this?"

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 am

Rainman498 wrote:
I have only seen a little of that, but it seems that it is a case of simply not adapting well to change.

The standard 'old fart' response, "Couldn't they have just waited until I died to do this?"
From my pre councilliar perspective the more accurate newer translation is most welcome and the other reversionary changes expected in the areas of music and architecture are exciting to ponder.

I plan on waiting until our priest gets the right color vestments (black) back before I die :wink:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Spanish Martyrs video

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 am

BluntLogic
Kerdy
Kerdy

Post by BluntLogic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:51 am

What is the League of Bearded Catholics? I found the reference on Mr. OldWorldSwines’ blog page.

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:54 am

BluntLogic wrote:What is the League of Bearded Catholics? I found the reference on Mr. OldWorldSwines’ blog page.
Had to look it up myself....

http://timothyjones.typepad.com/tlbc/we ... ylaws.html
First, let's make clear what The League of Bearded Catholics is not... it is not an organization, let alone a Catholic men's organization. With some work it could become, say, a Loose Association, but even that sounds like too much fuss.

The League is meant to be held together by nothing much more than a sincere and spontaneous appreciation for Catholic culture, for authentic Catholic manhood and for the company of Catholic men and the women who tolerate them. If there is a chewy center to the Tootsie Roll Pop that is The League, it is an appreciation and gratitude especially for the lives and literary work of Tolkien, Lewis, Belloc and Chesterton - TLBC - (not necessarily in that order).

So, TLBC stands equally for The League of Bearded Catholics, and for Tolkien, Lewis, Belloc and Chesterton. You may have noticed that they are all dead British guys, and all important Christian writers of the twentieth century. You may also have noticed that not all of these gentlemen wore beards.
Last edited by tobacco_tenderfoot on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:55 am

Ooops

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:42 am

Just saw a commercial from the Catholics Come Home group. On during the Today show. I had heard that commercials were coming.

BluntLogic
Kerdy
Kerdy

Post by BluntLogic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:02 am

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:What is the League of Bearded Catholics? I found the reference on Mr. OldWorldSwines’ blog page.
Had to look it up myself....

http://timothyjones.typepad.com/tlbc/we ... ylaws.html
First, let's make clear what The League of Bearded Catholics is not... it is not an organization, let alone a Catholic men's organization. With some work it could become, say, a Loose Association, but even that sounds like too much fuss.

The League is meant to be held together by nothing much more than a sincere and spontaneous appreciation for Catholic culture, for authentic Catholic manhood and for the company of Catholic men and the women who tolerate them. If there is a chewy center to the Tootsie Roll Pop that is The League, it is an appreciation and gratitude especially for the lives and literary work of Tolkien, Lewis, Belloc and Chesterton - TLBC - (not necessarily in that order).

So, TLBC stands equally for The League of Bearded Catholics, and for Tolkien, Lewis, Belloc and Chesterton. You may have noticed that they are all dead British guys, and all important Christian writers of the twentieth century. You may also have noticed that not all of these gentlemen wore beards.
It looks as if it is a sort of literary, smoking, drinking, philosophy, theological swatch of activities for Catholics (or those who are not Catholic, but adhere to basic Catholic ideas) that get together and simply enjoy each other’s company. Is this correct?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 pm

What is Christmas? Don't ask a Catholic University!
Sadly, I have to agree
http://news.investors.com/Article.aspx?id=595025&p=2

Del

Post by Del » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:26 pm

BluntLogic wrote:
It looks as if it is a sort of literary, smoking, drinking, philosophy, theological swatch of activities for Catholics (or those who are not Catholic, but adhere to basic Catholic ideas) that get together and simply enjoy each other’s company. Is this correct?
Yup. Uber-Catholic uber-nerds, out having fun. Not much different than what we do here at CPS.

TLBC gather in social Christian fellowship, and usually pick a hobby of some sort.

When Pipeson and Cigarson were teenagers, they had TLBC group going.... they were too young to drink, but we let them smoke at my home, and they even introduced some of their young friends pipes (with their parents' permission, of course). There was also quite a bit of Dungeons & Dragons played.

Cigarson has a TLBC thing going with his young adult friends. They have a variety of hobbies, like home-brewing beer and gear-head discussions concerning motorcycles and cars.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

BluntLogic
Kerdy
Kerdy

Post by BluntLogic » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 am

Del wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:
Yup. Uber-Catholic uber-nerds, out having fun. Not much different than what we do here at CPS.

TLBC gather in social Christian fellowship, and usually pick a hobby of some sort.

When Pipeson and Cigarson were teenagers, they had TLBC group going.... they were too young to drink, but we let them smoke at my home, and they even introduced some of their young friends pipes (with their parents' permission, of course). There was also quite a bit of Dungeons & Dragons played.

Cigarson has a TLBC thing going with his young adult friends. They have a variety of hobbies, like home-brewing beer and gear-head discussions concerning motorcycles and cars.
Sounds intriguing. How would I learn if such a group exists locally?