THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:51 pm

I’ve been attempting to make a concentrated effort to remember to slip my awesome single decade rosary in the watch pocket in my pants. It’s cold. I wear pants when it’s cold. Can we continue, please? Thank you. My concentrated efforts did not also focus on taking said awesome rosary out of the watch pocket.

It went through a full laundry cycle.

Yes. A chain link broke.

And here I recently lamented that my haunts for rosary’s had dried up.

Gotta be some sort of jewelry deal in my little crafty section of town. But, being in Pittsboro, NC and presenting myself openly as Catholic (shhhhhhhhhhh) might make someone other than I uncomfortable.

Kind of like it when it comes together like this.

Pax.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:29 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 pm
http://stmchapelhill.org/welcome
The Sacrament [of Reconciliation] is celebrated on Saturday from 3:45-4:45 PM in the church.

Saturday: 5:15 p.m. Vigil Mass
I drove out to visit this afternoon. I’ll need to look at the route again. Mr. “Smart Phone” sure had a lot of U-turns in the direct route option.

I had the dogs so I didn’t enter the chapel.

Between the Church and the school, I saw a very nice stone arch over Our Lady. Something was going on. Lots of car everywhere. Closer to the school it lightened up. Parked down at the low traffic area and walked the pups over on the far side of the wooded line and up the hill to the arch.

I was met with the simplistic elegance most loved. Our Lady treading the serpent. All in ‘white’ with her hands out, palms up, yet low.

They had a small seating bench and closer in, steps hewn for a kneeler.

Spend some time there. Was mad at myself that I forgot my pocket rosary, Had to use the thumb nail to knuckle crease in the fingers method. It works, but. Come on. Anyway.

There was an obvious mulch path. I ventured. It’s the Stations of the Cross and I’m telling you; the Icons they have posted along the path there are some serious Liturigal buisness.

Approaching from the side from the path, each looks the standard Bird House Placquard. But the Icons under the bird house eves are classic Latin Rite Icons.

I will go back. And maybe a discrete pic or 2.

Pax

DL Jake

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

My combat rosary has gone missing, as well.

We were praying at the sidewalk. And I haven't seen it since. I don't know if it lost in a pocket or under a car seat....

I grabbed a knotted-cord rosary out of the rosary bowl, but I hope the combat rosary shows up soon.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 am

Del wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am
My combat rosary has gone missing, as well.

We were praying at the sidewalk. And I haven't seen it since. I don't know if it lost in a pocket or under a car seat....

I grabbed a knotted-cord rosary out of the rosary bowl, but I hope the combat rosary shows up soon.
Good grief, Del, those aren't cheap!
I've long thought about getting one, but then I think I probably shouldn't have a rosary that costs more than my car, LOL!
I hope St. Anthony reveals it's location.

I left my .44 Magnum rosary (the large ones which the Holy Cross Sisters of my youth used to hang from the cords on their habits) in the hands on my late sister as she lay in her coffin at the visitation last April.
The funeral home was apparently unaware of Catholic custom.

I've yet to replace it as I've been making due with my KofC and 1st Communion rosarys (and fingers---is it a coincidence that we have ten fingers? I think not!)

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm

+JMJ+

Pope Francis: Where Mary is, ‘the devil does not enter’
Pope Francis celebrates Mass at St. Mary Major for the Feast of the transfer of the icon of Salus Populi Romani, Jan. 28, 2018. (Credit: Daniel Ibanez CNA.)

VATICAN CITY - At Mass in the Basilica of St. Mary Major on Sunday, Pope Francis said that when we go through difficult times or have problems or worries, Mary is our shield, guarding our faith and protecting us from evil.

“Where the Madonna is at home the devil does not enter; where there is the Mother, disturbance does not prevail, fear does not win,” the pope said Jan. 28.

“Who of us does not need this, who of us is not sometimes upset or restless? How often the heart is a stormy sea, where the waves of problems overlap, and the winds of worry do not cease to blow! Mary is the sure ark in the midst of the flood.”

Francis celebrated a special Mass at the Basilica of St. Mary Major for the Feast of the transfer of the icon of Salus Populi Romani.

[…]

In his homily, Francis said that it is “a great danger to faith, to live without a mother, without protection, letting ourselves be carried away by life as leaves by the wind.”

Just like persecuted people once took refuge under the cloak of the noble, high-ranking women of their village, in “turbulent moments” we must take shelter under the mantle of Mary, “the highest woman of mankind,” for our own protection.

“Her coat is always open to welcome us and gather us,” he said. “The Mother guards faith, protects relationships, saves in bad weather and preserves from evil.”

As Christians, we cannot be neutral or detached from our Mother, he continued. “Because without a Mother we cannot be children. And we are, first of all, children, beloved children, who have God for a Father and the Madonna for a Mother.”

[…]

“And she never, never despises our prayers; she does not let even one fall. She is a Mother, she is never ashamed of us, she only waits to be able to help her children.”

“Let’s make the Mother the guest of our daily life, the constant presence in our home, our safe haven,” he concluded. “Let’s entrust (ourselves) to her every day. Let’s invoke her in every turbulence. And let’s not forget to come back to her to thank her.”

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Did I just attend a Belloc Mass?

In The Path to Rome Belloc praises the ideal daily mass---it's in Latin and is 30 minutes long, if I remember what I read correctly.
Meanwhile, back in Fresno---
Our Latin Mass Society has morphed into a FSSP Chaplaincy.

I haven't attended morning daily mass, which is in the ordinary form, in quite awhile and I confess, this poverty has be gnawing at me.

My morning tasks attended to, I figured I'd attempt an afternoon mass
I went to the12:15, which turned out to be the extraordinary form.
It was over by 12:45.

I'm in my happy place now. Thank you, Hilaire Belloc and the FSSP Chaplaincy!
I can't wait until tomorrow.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:50 pm

I like a good low Mass. I'm glad you found one, Hovannes,
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 am

+JMJ+

Remember you’re going to die, Pope Francis counsels
In this file photo, Pope Francis gives the homily during morning Mass in the chapel of the Domus Sanctae Marthae at the Vatican. (Credit: CNS photo/L'Osservatore Romano.)

ROME - Spending time reflecting on your own death can be a freeing experience, and one that can even help us to become better people, Pope Francis saidin a homily at the Casa Santa Marta Thursday.

Death “is a fact that affects everyone,” the pope said Feb. 1. For some people it may come sooner and for some later, but regardless, “it comes.”

Because we are all men and women on a journey in finite time, he continued, it is a good idea to pray to God asking for a good sense of time, so that we are not “imprisoned” by the present moment. He also recommended repeating to yourself the phrase: “I am not the master of time.”

Remembering that we are all on the path to death “will make us treat everyone well.”

[…]

Continuing on this [David & Solomon] theme, Francis said that another question we should ask ourselves is: “What would be my legacy if God were to call me today? What legacy would I leave as a testimony of my life?”

“It is a good question to ask ourselves. And thus, we can prepare ourselves, because each one of us… none of us will remain ‘as a relic.’ We must all go down this path,” he said.

Remembering that we will inevitably die can help us live the present moment better, he noted, “illuminating with the fact of death the decisions that I must make every day.”

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 am
+JMJ+

Remember you’re going to die, Pope Francis counsels
In this file photo, Pope Francis gives the homily during morning Mass in the chapel of the Domus Sanctae Marthae at the Vatican. (Credit: CNS photo/L'Osservatore Romano.)

ROME - Spending time reflecting on your own death can be a freeing experience, and one that can even help us to become better people, Pope Francis saidin a homily at the Casa Santa Marta Thursday.

Death “is a fact that affects everyone,” the pope said Feb. 1. For some people it may come sooner and for some later, but regardless, “it comes.”

Because we are all men and women on a journey in finite time, he continued, it is a good idea to pray to God asking for a good sense of time, so that we are not “imprisoned” by the present moment. He also recommended repeating to yourself the phrase: “I am not the master of time.”

Remembering that we are all on the path to death “will make us treat everyone well.”

[…]

Continuing on this [David & Solomon] theme, Francis said that another question we should ask ourselves is: “What would be my legacy if God were to call me today? What legacy would I leave as a testimony of my life?”

“It is a good question to ask ourselves. And thus, we can prepare ourselves, because each one of us… none of us will remain ‘as a relic.’ We must all go down this path,” he said.

Remembering that we will inevitably die can help us live the present moment better, he noted, “illuminating with the fact of death the decisions that I must make every day.”
What are you eliding at, Wosbald? Are you threatening me?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Tempus fugit Memento mori,
I think Wos just went all You-tooby on you, Hugo!
https://youtu.be/H3qb-RQdgYI
Or maybe it was Pope Francis?

On a lighter note, it's Candlemas!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 am

+JMJ+

Cardinal Cupich rejects 'Benedict option,' calls for engagement with the world
Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago speaks to thousands of participants who braved frigid temperatures during Chicago's March for Life Jan. 14. (CNS/Chicago Catholic/Karen Callaway)

Chicago — Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich refuted the so-called "Benedict Option" that calls for retreat from the modern world, and instead urged Catholics to engage with the world through a "consistent ethic of solidarity" that addresses a wide range of issues.

"That's not who we are," Cupich said of the "Benedict Option," which takes its name from a book that calls for a conservative counterculture. He was responding to a question at a public talk Feb. 1 at Holy Name Cathedral here.Instead, Cupich said, Catholics should go out and engage the world, much like Jesus' disciples after Pentecost, or those who fought Hitler in World War II.

"We have to be in the trenches," Cupich said, but Americans "are risk-adverse … to take up big problems."

The answer, he said, is a "Consistent Ethic of Solidarity," modeled after Cardinal Joseph Bernadin's "Consistent Ethic of Life," which sought to link pro-life issues.

"Just as Cardinal Bernardin proposed that an of ethic of life be consistently applied to unite all the life issues, we need in our day to mine the church's social teaching on solidarity."

Cupich said the best way to honor the former cardinal of Chicago is to apply the convictions that underlie his "consistent ethic of life" to today's issues, including health care, economic issues, international aid and development, military spending, nuclear war and weapons, and, yes, abortion.

"The number of abortions has gone down significantly in the United States, but the violence of abortion continues to haunt our society," Cupich said in his talk. "And there are new pressures to require cooperation with what we believe is the taking of an innocent human life."

[…]

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Did your handlers allow you near flame?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:25 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 am
Hovannes wrote:

Of course not!
But they are usually occupied playing candy crush at the nurse's station, heh-heh-heh.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:25 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 am
Hovannes wrote:

Of course not!
But they are usually occupied playing candy crush at the nurse's station, heh-heh-heh.
Genuine audible laughter.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 pm

I attended a full memorial mass today and was once again struck by the realization that the Protestants kind of threw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't feel that the mass is any "better" or "worse" than a Protestant service, but it is profoundly different, remarkable, and majestic.

Del, please, just let it lie. No comments, 'k?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Del

Post by Del » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Skip wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 pm
I attended a full memorial mass today and was once again struck by the realization that the Protestants kind of threw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't feel that the mass is any "better" or "worse" than a Protestant service, but it is profoundly different, remarkable, and majestic.

k

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:46 pm

+JMJ+
Skip wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Del

Post by Del » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 am
+JMJ+

Cardinal Cupich rejects 'Benedict option,' calls for engagement with the world
Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago speaks to thousands of participants who braved frigid temperatures during Chicago's March for Life Jan. 14. (CNS/Chicago Catholic/Karen Callaway)

Chicago — Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich refuted the so-called "Benedict Option" that calls for retreat from the modern world, and instead urged Catholics to engage with the world through a "consistent ethic of solidarity" that addresses a wide range of issues.

"That's not who we are," Cupich said of the "Benedict Option," which takes its name from a book that calls for a conservative counterculture. He was responding to a question at a public talk Feb. 1 at Holy Name Cathedral here.Instead, Cupich said, Catholics should go out and engage the world, much like Jesus' disciples after Pentecost, or those who fought Hitler in World War II.

"We have to be in the trenches," Cupich said, but Americans "are risk-adverse … to take up big problems."

The answer, he said, is a "Consistent Ethic of Solidarity," modeled after Cardinal Joseph Bernadin's "Consistent Ethic of Life," which sought to link pro-life issues.

"Just as Cardinal Bernardin proposed that an of ethic of life be consistently applied to unite all the life issues, we need in our day to mine the church's social teaching on solidarity."

Cupich said the best way to honor the former cardinal of Chicago is to apply the convictions that underlie his "consistent ethic of life" to today's issues, including health care, economic issues, international aid and development, military spending, nuclear war and weapons, and, yes, abortion.

"The number of abortions has gone down significantly in the United States, but the violence of abortion continues to haunt our society," Cupich said in his talk. "And there are new pressures to require cooperation with what we believe is the taking of an innocent human life."

[…]
I want to like and admire Cupich, so I will not dock him points just because the National Catholic Reporter is quoting him.

All the same, the Benedict Option is already out of date. Back when Obama was suing the Little Sisters of the Poor into submission and it looked like Hillary was going to escalate a persecution, the Benedict Option was something to consider.

But for the time being, we do not face the prospect of a regime that actively hates us. We do not need to dive underground.

All the same.... Engaging the secular culture and preserving our Catholic culture are not opposite goals. We still march for Life, pray on the sidewalks, and we establish and fund Pregnancy Resource Centers. And we also support homeschoolers and start Catholic schools of the New Evangelization.

The same machinery that engages the culture is also useful for resisting the culture. It all comes down to how antagonistic the culture decides to be.

Last week, I saw a car in my hometown with a pro-life bumper sticker. Someone had taken a blunt tool (tire iron, perhaps?) and vandalized the car with a single, powerful blow to mar the bumper sticker. It was still legible, but the violence was evident. This generation may still need to go underground, at least in the less tolerant parts of our nation.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

So I've been home with a sore throat & flu and just now realized that today is the feast of my patron St Blasé and I missed the blessing!

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm
So I've been home with a sore throat & flu and just now realized that today is the feast of my patron St Blasé and I missed the blessing!
I’m thinking you didn’t.

;)
DL Jake