THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:29 pm
+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:19 pm
As "Catholic bulletin board" goes... I don't think about the Pope every week. But I do think about the souls in Purgatory, every day.
You can always post a link to Cousin Del's Livestream Purgatory Prayer Closet.
That sounds like some contraband from he Dark Web.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 am

+JMJ+

Running (and pondering) the numbers on papal popularity
Polling shows that each of the last three popes have enjoyed strong approval ratings in the United States, especially among American Catholics. (Credit: Stock image.)

One Catholic writer recently asserted that Francis is "probably the most popular pope in history." The data don't actually support that, since St. Pope John Paul had better numbers, but what they really show is that no matter who the pope is, Catholics are inclined to support him. Is it possible that in thinking that most Catholics evaluate popes in terms of left v. right, journalists are simply mistaken?

Amid the discussion triggered by Capuchin Father Thomas Weinandy’s recent decision to go public with a critical letter to Pope Francis, one well-known Catholic writer dismissed Weinandy’s claim that Catholics are “scandalized” by the pontiff, saying, “Bosh. Francis is probably the most popular pope in history.”

The line caught my eye, because the rhetoric in these sorts of discussions usually doesn’t pivot on claims that can be empirically assessed. Since it’s a quality around which an entire science has developed, I decided to go back over the last 40 years to see what the data tell us.

[…]

Perhaps the best conclusions from this data, however, are the following.

First, since Americans, and Catholics in particular, always seem to like popes, public opinion is likely a poor choice in building an argument for or against any particular pontiff.

Second, it’s striking that three popes perceived in the media as, respectively, conservative, arch-conservative, and liberal, had average approval ratings among Catholics of 91 percent, 75 percent, and 86 percent.

Is it possible that what the numbers really prove is that in thinking that Catholics evaluate popes primarily in terms of left v. right, we journalists are simply out of touch?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:47 pm

+JMJ+

Catholics praise BBC miniseries for balanced approach to Gunpowder Plot
Kit Harington stars in a scene from the TV drama series "Gunpowder," which began airing Nov. 4. The three-part series recounted the notorious November 1605 Gunpowder Plot, when militant Catholics attempted to blow up King James I and his parliament. (Credit: CNS photo/BBC.)

The BBC production of "Gunpowder," centers on the Gunpowder Plot's mastermind, Robert Catesby, played by "Game of Thrones" star Kit Harington. In 1605, militant Catholics attempted to blow up King James I and his parliament. In a pamphlet reprinted in 2016, England's Catholic Church adamantly denied any clergy were involved in the plot and insisted Catholics had all "vehemently condemned and repudiated the crime."

[…]

“It’s said history is written by the victors, but this drama really brought home the violence inflicted on Catholics - something that’s previously been airbrushed from historical accounts,” said Jesuit Father Timothy Byron, a historian. “Given that the BBC is sometimes accused of being anti-Catholic, this series, pitched at a large audience, could significantly affect public perceptions.”

[…]

“It clearly undermines the established narrative and vandalizes the anti-Catholic national myth,” Shaw said in a Catholic News Service interview. “For those who don’t accept this myth, it comes as a welcome development.”

Aspects of that anti-Catholic myth have long been questioned by researchers seeking a more balanced view of England’s Reformation epoch.

Historians such as Eamon Duffy and Christopher Haigh have challenged the once-accepted view that a corrupt Catholic Church was rightly taken over and reformed by King Henry VIII. They have shown the calamitous consequences of the destruction of monasteries, libraries, artworks and popular devotions that followed. …

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 am

Bishop Morlino: don’t let funeral controversy overshadow Christ’s love

My bishop sent out an email to priests of our diocese. He does this every week.

A few weeks ago, he answered some questions and offered them some guidelines regarding funeral services for individuals in same-sex civil unions. He encouraged the pastors to be as warm and loving as possible. And also to be mindful that we always have a duty of love to the community as well, so we need to take care to avoid giving scandal.

As in most American dioceses, we still have some priests who are covert gay activists. So portions of the letter were leaked to the secular press. The LGBT lobby initiated an online petition to have Pope Francis remove our bishop. It's nasty.

Thus the bishop's private instruction to his priests has become a "political" concern. The story has gone viral over the Catholic media, so even Crux is re-publishing news commentary. I'm sorry about that. So is our bishop.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 am
Bishop Morlino: don’t let funeral controversy overshadow Christ’s love

My bishop sent out an email to priests of our diocese. He does this every week.

A few weeks ago, he answered some questions and offered them some guidelines regarding funeral services for individuals in same-sex civil unions. He encouraged the pastors to be as warm and loving as possible. And also to be mindful that we always have a duty of love to the community as well, so we need to take care to avoid giving scandal.

As in most American dioceses, we still have some priests who are covert gay activists. So portions of the letter were leaked to the secular press. The LGBT lobby initiated an online petition to have Pope Francis remove our bishop. It's nasty.

Thus the bishop's private instruction to his priests has become a "political" concern. The story has gone viral over the Catholic media, so even Crux is re-publishing news commentary. I'm sorry about that. So is our bishop.
The world has gotten a little out of hand. My wife and I were not originally married in a Catholic church. She's not a Christian. At the time, neither was I. Cheaster Catholic. Anyway, we got married civilly in Las Vegas and moved right along with life. We had three kids. I wanted to get them baptized. Local priest wouldn't unless I had my marriage convalidated in a local church.

Did I tell on him? Call the newspapers? No, I abided by his decision and took a further walk away from my faith.

Fast forward to me getting real sick. When I came out of that I decided I needed to revert. Made a general confession of every unconfessed sin I could think of for 18+ years. Took a while. Pretty emotional experience, believe it or not. At the end, this wonderful, kindly old priest asked whether I had been married in the Catholic Church. I said "no" and he refused absolution.

Did I b****? Did I start a grass roots organization to tear apart the tenants of the Church so I didn't have to follow them? No, I spoke to my wife, had our marriage convalidated, and our children baptized, and was then absolved. One simply cannot make the Church bless one's sins. Love the sinner, by all means, but don't confuse that with loving the sin.

You haven't lived until you've seen a six year old child renounce Satan on her own behalf before dunking her own head in the font, by the way.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am

+JMJ+

Chaput: Controversies have obscured the ‘great wisdom and beauty’ of ‘Amoris’
Pope Francis raises the chalice as he celebrates the closing Mass of the World Meeting of Families on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia Sept. 27. With him at the altar is Philadelphia Archbishop Charles J. Chaput. (Credit: Paul Haring/CNS.)

In an address on Wednesday, Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia said Pope Francis's apostolic exhortation 'Amoris Laetitia' offers great wisdom, but the controversies over it have "obscured much of the good in the document.” Chaput's remarks came at the third annual National Assembly of Filipino Priests in Houston, Texas.

NEW YORK - In an address on Wednesday to the National Assembly of Filipino Priests USA in Houston, Texas, Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia said the controversies over Amoris Laetitia have “obscured much of the good in the document.”

Titled “Amoris Laetitia and the Nature of Mercy,” Chaput’s remarks focused on three major areas: “the pastoral challenges Amoris Laetitia seeks to address; the pastoral challenges the text itself may seem to create; and how we as priests need to respond as ‘missionaries of mercy.’”

Amoris Laetitia, Francis’s landmark apostolic exhortation on marriage and family life, is the outcome document resulting from two Synods on the Family called by Francis in 2014 and 2015. Chaput’s remarks were delivered at the third annual gathering of Filipino priests, aimed to promote more effective pastoral leadership.

“Papal documents are always important,” said Chaput. “But - if we can be candid for a moment - some have the energy of a lead brick. Amoris Laetitia is very different. It has passages of great wisdom and beauty on marriage and on family life. And it has other passages that have caused some obvious controversy.” …

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am
You haven't lived until you've seen a six year old child renounce Satan on her own behalf before dunking her own head in the font, by the way.
I know that experience. A good kid from 6 to 10 years of age can make a pure and firm decision to be good and holy -- in a way that we broken and grimy adults just aren't capable of. The child has not yet dragged her soul through all of the muck and slime that we have in our past.

I can't believe that anyone objected to the canonization of St. Jacinta because she was "too young."

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 am

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 am
hugodrax wrote:
I know that experience. A good kid from 6 to 10 years of age can make a pure and firm decision to be good and holy -- in a way that we broken and grimy adults just aren't capable of. The child has not yet dragged her soul through all of the muck and slime that we have in our past.

I can't believe that anyone objected to the canonization of St. Jacinta because she was "too young."
Strewth.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 am

hugodrax wrote:
The world has gotten a little out of hand. My wife and I were not originally married in a Catholic church. She's not a Christian. At the time, neither was I. Cheaster Catholic. Anyway, we got married civilly in Las Vegas and moved right along with life. We had three kids. I wanted to get them baptized. Local priest wouldn't unless I had my marriage convalidated in a local church.

Did I tell on him? Call the newspapers? No, I abided by his decision and took a further walk away from my faith.

Fast forward to me getting real sick. When I came out of that I decided I needed to revert. Made a general confession of every unconfessed sin I could think of for 18+ years. Took a while. Pretty emotional experience, believe it or not. At the end, this wonderful, kindly old priest asked whether I had been married in the Catholic Church. I said "no" and he refused absolution.

Did I b****? Did I start a grass roots organization to tear apart the tenants of the Church so I didn't have to follow them? No, I spoke to my wife, had our marriage convalidated, and our children baptized, and was then absolved. One simply cannot make the Church bless one's sins. Love the sinner, by all means, but don't confuse that with loving the sin.

Back to your original point....

Often, as parents, we find that the most loving and difficult thing to do is to say "No" to our children when necessary. And applying discipline when needed to correct the child's bad behavior.

It probably hurt both of those priests very much to have to say no to you. I'm sure it did. But it would have been less loving to overlook the concerns and give a free pass so a guy can carry on as a cheaster Christian.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 am

+JMJ+

Cupich: Catholics are not scandalized by Pope Francis
David Axelrod, institute director of the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics, introduces Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne and Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich. (NCR photo/Heidi Schlumpf)

Contradicting the criticisms of some conservative Catholic commentators, Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich defended Pope Francis, whom he called "one of the most popular people on the planet."

"I don't think people are scandalized by the pope. I think they're being told to be scandalized. I think there's a difference," Cupich said Nov. 6 at a public conversation with Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne at the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics.

[…]

In his visits to Chicago parishes, Cupich said he finds Catholics are happy with Pope Francis, because he speaks to their everyday lives and has a pastoral approach that allows the shepherd sometimes to be led by the sheep.

That, Cupich said, frustrates more traditionalist Catholics.

The pope is "calling people to have an adult spirituality, rather than being infantilized in their spirituality," Cupich said to applause. "For people who like to tell other people what to do, that's threatening."

In Amoris Laetitia, the apostolic exhortation on marriage and the family, Pope Francis encouraged pastors to guide Catholics' consciences, not replace them. The church then accompanies people in their decision-making, rather than dictating to them, Cupich said.

[…]

Cupich also praised what he called the pope's "consistent ethic of solidarity."

"The problem we're facing now isn't that we're divided over issues, but people are divided into tribes, into camps," he said. "We need to recapture, before we get to the issues, that common bond." …

Del

Post by Del » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 am
+JMJ+

David Axelrod, institute director of the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics, introduces Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne and Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich. (NCR photo/Heidi Schlumpf)

Contradicting the criticisms of some conservative Catholic commentators, Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich defended Pope Francis, whom he called "one of the most popular people on the planet."

"I don't think people are scandalized by the pope. I think they're being told to be scandalized. I think there's a difference," Cupich said Nov. 6 at a public conversation with Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne at the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics.

[…]

In his visits to Chicago parishes, Cupich said he finds Catholics are happy with Pope Francis, because he speaks to their everyday lives and has a pastoral approach that allows the shepherd sometimes to be led by the sheep.

The pope is "calling people to have an adult spirituality, rather than being infantilized in their spirituality," Cupich said to applause. "For people who like to tell other people what to do, that's threatening."

In Amoris Laetitia, the apostolic exhortation on marriage and the family, Pope Francis encouraged pastors to guide Catholics' consciences, not replace them. The church then accompanies people in their decision-making, rather than dictating to them, Cupich said.

[…]

"The problem we're facing now isn't that we're divided over issues, but people are divided into tribes, into camps," he said. "We need to recapture, before we get to the issues, that common bond." …
Warn us when you link/quote National Catholic Reporter, please. They try really hard to look like real news for Catholics, and fool some.

However, I suspect that Cdl. Cupich really does think that "traditional Catholics" have an "infantile spirituality" and "like to tell other people what to do." Liberal bullies have been saying that for a long time, blind to their own hypocrisy.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

Warn us when you link/quote National Catholic Reporter, please. They try really hard to look like real news for Catholics, and fool some.

However, I suspect that Cdl. Cupich really does think that "traditional Catholics" have an "infantile spirituality" and "like to tell other people what to do." Liberal bullies have been saying that for a long time, blind to their own hypocrisy.
And perhaps "traditional Catholics" have been denying their "infantile spirituality" for a long time, blind to their own hypocrisy.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Skip wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm
Del wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

And perhaps "traditional Catholics" have been denying their "infantile spirituality" for a long time, blind to their own hypocrisy.
So now I'm a hypocrite? Look, you want to fight Del, go nuts. But do it without delsplqining my faith to me.

Sheesh. Dudes in skirts.

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:25 pm
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

So now I'm a hypocrite? Look, you want to fight Del, go nuts. But do it without delsplqining my faith to me.

Sheesh. Dudes in skirts.
I wasn't talking to you, so let it go.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Skip wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

Sheesh. Dudes in skirts.
No. You might not have been talking to me, but you were talking about me. I'm a traditional catholic. I prefer latin. I like the old ways and prefer the Tridentine Mass. Do you realize there is a war against my kind in the Catholic Church? That we should no longer exist?

I dont think you think bad things about me. We're friends on a deep level. But there are elements in my Church that think I shouldnt exist. They think these things about me withut knowing me. But you know me rather well. Do I strike you as possessing an infantile spirituality? Do I strike you as an hypocrite?

Sometimes we hurt without meaning to...telling a man to forget it when you've made him question your friendship doesn't much help. It tells him that you're too proud to acknowledge what was very likely an inadvertent insult. I get you didn't mean it and I'm not asking for some apology. But I think you were a little insensitive here and that isn't like you. No need for a big deal, but you made an eyebrow raise here.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I am just happy to be a Catholic. :signofcross:
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 pm
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

Sheesh. Dudes in skirts.
No. You might not have been talking to me, but you were talking about me. I'm a traditional catholic. I prefer latin. I like the old ways and prefer the Tridentine Mass. Do you realize there is a war against my kind in the Catholic Church? That we should no longer exist?

I dont think you think bad things about me. We're friends on a deep level. But there are elements in my Church that think I shouldnt exist. They think these things about me withut knowing me. But you know me rather well. Do I strike you as possessing an infantile spirituality? Do I strike you as an hypocrite?

Sometimes we hurt without meaning to...telling a man to forget it when you've made him question your friendship doesn't much help. It tells him that you're too proud to acknowledge what was very likely an inadvertent insult. I get you didn't mean it and I'm not asking for some apology. But I think you were a little insensitive here and that isn't like you. No need for a big deal, but you made an eyebrow raise here.
Dammit, you're right. I was too quick to go for the clever turn of phrase without thinking. I'm in the wrong here. I'm sorry.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Skip wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:19 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 pm
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

Sheesh. Dudes in skirts.

Dammit, you're right. I was too quick to go for the clever turn of phrase without thinking. I'm in the wrong here. I'm sorry.
Nah. We're friends. But the "dust farter" vs the "rainbow farter" is very real. I submit that the article is about a perceived "rainbow farter" using the Pope as a means of attacking the perceived "dust farters." Personally, I think I'm just flatulent. There's room in my faith for both wings.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 pm

+JMJ+

To be fair, Cupich's comments about "infantility" were in the context of Weinady's "open letter" (a context I'd redacted in the interest of spatial economy), which might help to blunt some of Cupich's apparent broad-brushedness. Maybe the pushback of the next few weeks will prompt Cupich to a greater clarity.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 am

Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]

So now I'm a hypocrite? Look, you want to fight Del, go nuts. But do it without delsplaining my faith to me.

Sheesh. Dudes in skirts.
Liberal Catholics have been "telling us what to do" for almost 5 decades!

Some of us are pushing back -- "This sucks. Teach us the hard truth. Give us the good stuff." And suddenly we are the infantile ones who like telling other people what to do!

Hugo's testimony was dead-on. Those priests did NOT want to say "no," and risk turning Hugo away. That had to hurt them. But they honored their duty to God, and gave the hard truth.

Just like Jesus looked with love and gave the hard truth to the Rich Young Man, "If you wish to have eternal life, there is one more thing you must do. You must give all you have to the poor, and come follow me. Then you will have treasure in heaven" I'm sure it broke Jesus' heart to watch him turn away as well.

Most of us are not saints. We hold on to some sin or attachment that prevents us from full unity with Christ. The duty of Christ's Church is to point that thing out to us -- "Let go of that sin. Then you will have treasure in heaven." Praise God for courageous pastors!

If the fake news at National Catholic Reporter is quoting accurately, then Cardinal Cupich just called his job "infantile."