THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 pm
Wozzie? Show the Polish Prince of Parma more respect than that!
Nope.

We have a gentleman’s understanding of artful passive aggression.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Nope.

Glad you used the singular.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Nope.

Glad you used the singular.
Ouch.

Didn't mean to leave you out, of course.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:45 pm
… devoted to liberal politics above anything Catholic or Christian.

[…]

Notice the glib slurs …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 am
+JMJ+
Del wrote:

[…]

Notice the glib slurs …
No way he understood that, Wos.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 am

wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
Del wrote:

[…]

Notice the glib slurs …
Meh. The banner line under La Croix International says, "The World's Premium Independent Catholic Daily." I reckon that independent = dissident, in their case.

Am I wrong?

I also suspect that there are more rosaries prayed in the Trump White House than in the offices of La Croix.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 am

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
Del wrote:

[…]

Notice the glib slurs …
Meh. The banner line under La Croix International says, "The World's Premium Independent Catholic Daily." I reckon that independent = dissident, in their case.

Am I wrong?

I also suspect that there are more rosaries prayed in the Trump White House than in the offices of La Croix.
Dunno. I'd still be surprised if you could walk and chew gum at the same time, seeing that you seem incapable of grasping the difference between a fact and an opinion.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am

You know, I can't find any information that daily mass or daily rosaries are said at the White House. Where can I find this information?

Del

Post by Del » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am
You know, I can't find any information that daily mass or daily rosaries are said at the White House. Where can I find this information?
My bishop did not divulge his source. Give me some time to see if I can find out.

We didn't even know that Melania Trump was Catholic until her visit with Pope Francis. She keeps her life very private. But she can surprise us.

Here is Melania, opening a rally for President Trump by leading a recitation of the Lord's Prayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8yPM0ZDyQ

At her wedding to The Donald, she clutched a rosary instead of a bouquet.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:06 am

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am
hugodrax wrote:
My bishop did not divulge his source. Give me some time to see if I can find out.

We didn't even know that Melania Trump was Catholic until her visit with Pope Francis. She keeps her life very private. But she can surprise us.

Here is Melania, opening a rally for President Trump by leading a recitation of the Lord's Prayer:

I'd appreciate it if you could, my friend. Id really like to think it's true.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:06 am
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Yeah. I'd like to know for sure, too.

P.S.: My flooring contractor/pipe-smoking buddy just arrived. He was at the same benefit dinner, and he is looking for some verification too. His wife is well-connected. Good chance that we will find out something.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:00 pm

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

P.S.: My flooring contractor/pipe-smoking buddy just arrived. He was at the same benefit dinner, and he is looking for some verification too. His wife is well-connected. Good chance that we will find out something.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:10 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:00 pm
+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Boy howdy. When I Googled "trump white house daily rosary," I clicked on a link about the combat rosaries given to the President, First Lady, and others. Ever go to the "Church Militant" website?

I think the best analogy would be going to a gun show and noting the percentage of the clientele that are morbidly obese yet wearing tactical clothing. Couldn't outrun a one legged man and can't shoot straight either. Couldn't get laid at a butterfly convention but want to make sure you aren't "race mixin'." Reckon that's why they need one o'them super special pull chain rosaries for their rugged lifestyle. Hyperbole and American doofistry to the max.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 am

+JMJ+

Pope: Guadalupe feast shows Mary’s closeness to those on margins
Pope Francis swings a censer in front of an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe as he celebrates Mass Dec. 12 marking her feast day in St. Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican. (Credit: CNS/EPA.)

ROME - The appearance of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which mirrored that of the indigenous people of the time, is a sign of Mary’s closeness to those who are marginalized, Pope Francis said.

Like St. Juan Diego, who felt of no importance at being chosen by Mary because of his indigenous heritage, marginalized people in today’s world are often made to feel worthless by conditions imposed upon them, the pope said in his homily during a Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica Dec. 12, the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

“Among them are the indigenous and Afro-American communities, who often are not treated with dignity and equality of conditions; many women who are excluded because of their sex, race, or socioeconomic situation; young people who receive a poor education and have no opportunities to advance in their studies or to enter into the labor market so as to move ahead and establish a family; many poor people, unemployed, migrants, displaced, landless peasants, who seek to survive on the informal market; boys and girls subjected to child prostitution, often linked to sex tourism,” he said, quoting a 2007 Latin American bishops’ council document he helped write.

[…]

Mary, shown “with dark-skin and mestizo appearance,” reflected a “mother capable of taking on the traits of her children to make them feel a part of her blessing,” the pope said.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, he added, remains a symbol of the wealth and cultural diversity of Latin America and the Caribbean that must not only be cultivated, but also defended from every attempt to impose a way of thinking that “makes everything we inherited from our elders invalid or sterile.”

“In short, our fruitfulness requires us to defend our people from an ideological colonization that cancels out the richest thing about them, whether they be indigenous, Afro-American, mestizo, farmer, or suburban,” the pope said.

Francis called on Christians to look to Mary and learn from her, to become a church with a “mestizo appearance, an indigenous appearance” that takes the form of the little ones.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 am

+JMJ+

Sunday has lost its sense as day of rest, renewal in Christ, pope says
Pope Francis waves as he arrives to lead his general audience in Paul VI hall at the Vatican Dec. 13. (Credit: CNS/Reuters.)

ROME - Just like a plant needs sun and nourishment to survive, every Christian needs the light of Sunday and the sustenance of the Eucharist to truly live, Pope Francis said.

“How can we carry out the Gospel without drawing the energy needed to do it, one Sunday after another, from the limitless source of the Eucharist,” he said Dec. 13 during his weekly general audience.

“We don’t go to Mass to give something to God, but to receive from him that which we truly need,” the pope said. Sunday Mass is the time and place Christians receive the grace and strength to remain faithful to his word, follow his commandment to love others and be credible witnesses in the world.

[…]

Unfortunately, in many secularized countries, the Christian meaning of the day has been lost and is no longer “illuminated by the Eucharist” or lived as a joyous feast in communion with other parishioners and in solidarity with others, he said.

Also often missing is the importance of Sunday as a day of rest, which is a sign of the dignity of living as children of God, not slaves, he said.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 pm

+JMJ+

No selling hair, teeth or hands of saints, Vatican decrees
In this file photo taken on April 10, 2014, Sister Amelia from the Daughters of Charity stands in front of the altar where the bloodstained undershirt worn by Pope John Paul II during the assassination attempt on May, 13, 1981, is kept, in Rome. The Vatican's saint-making office has updated its rules for authenticating and conserving relics for would-be saints, issuing detailed new guidelines that govern how body parts and cremated remains are to be obtained, transferred and venerated. (Credit: AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia.)

ROME - The Vatican’s saint-making office has updated its rules governing the use of relics for would-be saints, issuing detailed new guidelines Saturday that govern how body parts and cremated remains are to be obtained, transferred and protected for eventual veneration.

The instructions explicitly rule out selling the hair strands, hands, teeth and other body parts of saints that often fetch high prices in online auctions. They also prohibit the use of relics in sacrilegious rituals and warn that the church may have to obtain consent from surviving family members before unearthing the remains of candidates for sainthood.

[…]

Officials said the new guidelines were necessary given some obstacles that had arisen since the rules were last revised in 2007, particularly when surviving relatives and church officials disagreed. One current case before a U.S. appeals court concerns a battle over the remains of Fulton Sheen, an American archbishop known for his revolutionary radio and television preaching in the 1950s and 1960s.

[…]

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 am

DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 am
Nice JPII rosary DL! My son has one like that.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:51 am

<Nope.>

Del

Post by Del » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 pm
+JMJ+

No selling hair, teeth or hands of saints, Vatican decrees
In this file photo taken on April 10, 2014, Sister Amelia from the Daughters of Charity stands in front of the altar where the bloodstained undershirt worn by Pope John Paul II during the assassination attempt on May, 13, 1981, is kept, in Rome. The Vatican's saint-making office has updated its rules for authenticating and conserving relics for would-be saints, issuing detailed new guidelines that govern how body parts and cremated remains are to be obtained, transferred and venerated. (Credit: AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia.)

ROME - The Vatican’s saint-making office has updated its rules governing the use of relics for would-be saints, issuing detailed new guidelines Saturday that govern how body parts and cremated remains are to be obtained, transferred and protected for eventual veneration.

The instructions explicitly rule out selling the hair strands, hands, teeth and other body parts of saints that often fetch high prices in online auctions. They also prohibit the use of relics in sacrilegious rituals and warn that the church may have to obtain consent from surviving family members before unearthing the remains of candidates for sainthood.

[…]

Officials said the new guidelines were necessary given some obstacles that had arisen since the rules were last revised in 2007, particularly when surviving relatives and church officials disagreed. One current case before a U.S. appeals court concerns a battle over the remains of Fulton Sheen, an American archbishop known for his revolutionary radio and television preaching in the 1950s and 1960s.

[…]
The "updated rules" sound like the old rules. Christians have not been allowed to sell sacred items and spiritual gifts since this was refused to Simon the Magus.

Perhaps the "updated" portion is just adding a phrase to prohibit online simony. (I heard that the Vatican Secret Police have recently learned that people sell stuff over the internet.)