THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm
You people are why I can't have nice things.
You can't blame my posting for your lack of happiness no matter how poorly I write. :P

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed May 10, 2017 12:46 am

GiantNinja wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:21 pm
Just curious guys, What's the point of Stigmata? This doesn't happen in The Orthodox Church AFAIK and the church doesn't have any official opinions on it.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the point', Jo. It *sounds* like you're suggesting there was some thought/intention by Popes and/or Catholic theologians into whether there SHOULD BE Stigmata.

DL's answer above (I believe/interpret) was suggesting that (from a Catholic perspective) Stigmata ARE. They are a gift from Christ. We don't pretend to know why Christ gave them to us. We can theorize on it. But we can't *know* why He chose to gift some of His disciples with the Stigmata.

Does that help?
Ok, thank you.

I worded my question wrong.

Sorry to get everyone all riled up.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 am

GiantNinja wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:21 pm
Just curious guys, What's the point of Stigmata? This doesn't happen in The Orthodox Church AFAIK and the church doesn't have any official opinions on it.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the point', Jo. It *sounds* like you're suggesting there was some thought/intention by Popes and/or Catholic theologians into whether there SHOULD BE Stigmata.

DL's answer above (I believe/interpret) was suggesting that (from a Catholic perspective) Stigmata ARE. They are a gift from Christ. We don't pretend to know why Christ gave them to us. We can theorize on it. But we can't *know* why He chose to gift some of His disciples with the Stigmata.

Does that help?
GIANT NINJA SIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well worded. Thanks for the assist.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 10, 2017 8:56 am

OMG

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm
You people are why I can't have nice things.
You can't blame my posting for your lack of happiness no matter how poorly I write. :P
No, no, no. Of course not. I've never viewed you as completely human anyway. :clown:

No, I was referring to manufactured disagreements. Dude politely asked about the stigmata. Got an answer. Didn't argue. Then got thumped anyway.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 10, 2017 4:48 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm
I've never viewed you as completely human anyway. :clown:
I hate it when you say things like that. What the heck do you mean? I will take it to mean that you believe that my father is Zeus! At least until I get clarification from you anyway. :twisted:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:48 pm
hugodrax wrote:
I hate it when you say things like that. What the heck do you mean? I will take it to mean that you believe that my father is Zeus! At least until I get clarification from you anyway. :twisted:
I said "you people." You responded like I was talking to you. I told you I don't view you as human. The hidden part follows: if I don't view you as human, then you couldn't be part of "you people." For as many times as you claim to understand everybody's worldview from just a few sentences, you really shouldn't admit to not following wordplay.

I confess I've never thought of your parents. Why would I? I imagine that they were decent folk. Nature and nurture are usually pretty intertwined.

Sorry if you thought I was questioning your parentage. Would never do that even in jest. And your humanity is very apparent: you're quite good guy.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
I said "you people." You responded like I was talking to you. I told you I don't view you as human. The hidden part follows: if I don't view you as human, then you couldn't be part of "you people." For as many times as you claim to understand everybody's worldview from just a few sentences, you really shouldn't admit to not following wordplay.

I confess I've never thought of your parents. Why would I? I imagine that they were decent folk. Nature and nurture are usually pretty intertwined.

Sorry if you thought I was questioning your parentage. Would never do that even in jest. And your humanity is very apparent: you're quite good guy.
Oh good Lord, see what happens when I respond to you over things you will or will not post on your refrigerator? I should at least respond in the right threads. Anyway, I find the stigmata to be quite disturbing.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Oh good Lord, see what happens when I respond to you over things you will or will not post on your refrigerator? I should at least respond in the right threads. Anyway, I find the stigmata to be quite disturbing.
Want to know a terrible secret? Our refrigerator has wooden panels. I can't stick anything to it. So the kids art has taken over the dining room.

The stigmata give me the creeps, too.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed May 10, 2017 7:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Want to know a terrible secret? Our refrigerator has wooden panels. I can't stick anything to it. So the kids art has taken over the dining room.

Let's go Pens!

There is a theological though that Saint Paul's thorn in the side was stigmata. No I am not giving you references, other than to refer you to my opening line to this post.

As an aside, I am so glad to see that giant ninja's font agin.

I can't even imagine having any sort of stigmata light let alone the full banana.
DL Jake

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

How about the relics of saints, the body or body parts? The Orthodox also have an infatuation with skulls and bones. Nothing like kissing a box with a withered hand in it. Let me tell you, it's the stuff of nightmares. I hope the Baptists read this and tremble. Their nice clean and tidy crosses hung up behind their pulpits are boringly civilized!

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu May 11, 2017 11:38 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

How about the relics of saints, the body or body parts? The Orthodox also have an infatuation with skulls and bones. Nothing like kissing a box with a withered hand in it. Let me tell you, it's the stuff of nightmares. I hope the Baptists read this and tremble. Their nice clean and tidy crosses hung up behind their pulpits are boringly civilized!
Christians have been that way since we celebrated the Divine Liturgy over the graves of martyrs in the catacombs.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat May 13, 2017 11:03 am

+JMJ+

Cardinal Bertone talks about the third secret of Fatima
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, former Vatican secretary of state, speaks with EWTN on May 4, 2017. (Credit: Daniel Ibanez / CNA.)

… The “third secret of Fatima” refers to a message during the apparitions predicting suffering and persecution of the Pope and the Church. Unlike the first two secrets - a vision of hell and a prediction of World War II - the third secret was not initially revealed by Lucia.

At first, she said that Mary had not yet permitted her to reveal it to the world. Later, the Vatican chose to keep it secret until 2000, when it was finally revealed.

The Fatima apparitions “confirm some encouraging news,” Bertone said, “that the Mother of the Son of God Incarnated and Our Mother does not abandon humanity in the course of history. She is present, and watches over humanity as the spokesperson and guarantor of God’s Mercy. She is the mediator of salvation.”

On his way to Portugal for his 2010 apostolic trip, the cardinal noted, Pope Benedict XVI stressed that in addition to referencing the suffering of John Paul II, the third secret points to realities involving the future of the Church, “which are gradually taking shape and becoming evident.”

That means, he added, that “the vision implies the need for a passion of the Church, which naturally is reflected in the person of the Pope, yet the Pope stands for the Church and thus it is sufferings of the Church that are announced. The Lord told us that the Church would constantly be suffering, in different ways, until the end of the world.”

Bertone pointed to the theological commentary released by Cardinal Ratzinger at the time of the third secret’s release.

Ratzinger said: “In the vision we can recognize the last century as a century of martyrs, a century of suffering and persecution for the Church, a century of World Wars and the many local wars which filled the last fifty years and have inflicted unprecedented forms of cruelty.

“In the ‘mirror’ of this vision we see passing before us the witnesses of the faith decade by decade,” he added.

“In one sense he (Ratzinger) says that the events described in the third secret are now past,” Bertone said. “At the same time, the heart of Fatima’s appeal deals with conversion. That is, the conversion of the faithful and the path of the Church towards fidelity. Sister Lucia really cared about accomplishing what she calls the ‘mandamiento de Maria,’ the commandment of Mary. Just as there is the Lord Jesus’ commandment, ‘Love one another as I loved you,’ there is also Mary’s commandment, ‘Do whatever he tells you’.”

Bertone said that the decision to release the third secret of Fatima was made in order to avoid the “apocalyptic interpretation” that was spreading more and more at the end of the millennium. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon May 15, 2017 6:32 am

+JMJ+

Bishops’ point man on religious freedom gives mixed verdict on Trump order
Baltimore Archbishop William Lori is Chair of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty. (Credit: CNS.)

Archbishop William Lori, chair of the U.S. bishops' Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty, told Crux that while he welcomes the recent executive order on religious freedom issued by President Donald Trump, "the devil is in the details". He also said that repeal of the Johnson Amendment barring churches from endorsing candidates isn't a focus, because "that's really not our job."

For the last six years, Archbishop William Lori of Baltimore has been one of the most visible, not to mention controversial, members of the American Catholic hierarchy. That’s because he leads the U.S. bishops’ Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty, seen by fans as one of the most important initiatives the bishops have launched in a long time, but by critics as the tip of the spear for their involvement in America’s wars of culture.

[…]

Among other things, Lori said:
  • Originally the ad hoc committee was a response to a perceived “erosion” of religious freedom on the local and state level, such as a bill in Connecticut that would have stripped pastors of their authority to make decisions in a parish in favor of an elected parish committee.
  • President Donald Trump’s recent executive order on religious freedom is a welcome development, but “the devil is in the details” and Lori cautioned that we need to see how it plays out.
  • There’s still “work ahead of us” on the contraception to ensure that what the administration is offering is a real exemption, not “another ‘accommodation we have to fool around with.” That includes, he said, defining preventive services “so they really do pertain to preventing diseases and not to inducing abortions or preventing birth.”
  • Repeal of the Johnson Amendment barring churches from endorsing political candidates is not a priority for the bishops, because, Lori said, “that’s really not our job.”
  • This year’s Fortnight for Freedom will include a focus on persecuted Christians and other religious minorities abroad, an issue, he said, that everybody needs to be worried about.”
[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue May 16, 2017 7:22 am

+JMJ+

Reports say Callista Gingrich to be ambassador to the Vatican
In this July 20, 2016 file photo, Callista Gingrich is seen during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. The Trump administration has chosen the wife of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich to be the next U.S. ambassador to the Vatican. (Credit: John Locher/AP.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Trump administration has approached the wife of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich to be the next U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, days before President Donald Trump embarks on his first foreign trip.

Trump will nominate Callista Gingrich for the post, two people with direct knowledge of the discussions said Monday. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly before an official announcement.

Trump’s foreign trip this month includes a stop at the Vatican.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 am

+JMJ+

Pope Francis must support Venezuela opposition, or lose credibility
Demonstrators hold black crosses adorned with Venezuela flags and with the names of those who were killed in weeks of violent demonstrations calling on Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro to step down, stage a demonstration in St. Peter's Square on Sunday, May 7, 2017. (Credit: Andrew Medichini/AP.)

A month ago I wrote about how recent silence from the Vatican on the crisis in Venezuela indicated a confusion about how to proceed. In the intervening weeks developments in Venezuela have rapidly deteriorated.

[…]

Earlier this year, Maduro had his allies on the supreme court strip the National Assembly of its powers, until an international protest forced a reversal.

The opposition has rejected the constitutional reform tactic, as have the Catholic bishops. On Saturday, Maduro denounced the bishops for taking a harder line against him than Pope Francis. He publicly called for the Venezuelan bishops to agree to his proposals in obedience to Pope Francis.

Vatican diplomacy has now stumbled into a place where Maduro considers Pope Francis an ally against the bishops of Venezuela.

It is a repeat of Vatican fumbling in Ukraine, where local Catholics felt that Pope Francis was siding with the Russian invaders. The Russia-Ukraine situation was fast-moving and great power politics - not to mention the delicate ecumenical situation with the Russian Orthodox - were at play.

Nothing of the sort is at play in Venezuela. It is the pope’s backyard. If the Holy See is positioned on the side of tyranny in opposition to her own bishops, it would be an inexplicable catastrophe. So much of the Holy Father’s defense of the suffering and exploited would ring hollow.

Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican secretary of state, senses that matters have reached a dangerous point. While in Fatima, as Maduro was playing off Pope Francis against the Venezuelan Church and people, Parolin dropped his neutrality and said that that elections were the only solution for Venezuela. …

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

You know who else has a fascination with these items? ISIS. They are destroying everything they find which is why Christians are secretly moving these items to safer places. These items are a source of inspiration and veneration for millions of people. The fact ISIS is trying to wipe them all out is very telling of their importance.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri May 19, 2017 6:53 am

Pope Francis has a plan for Venezuela: Give it time to work
A protester faces the National Guard during clashes May 10 in Caracas, Venezuela. The motto on his back reads: "Mom, today I went out to defend Venezuela. If I do not come back, I went with her." (Credit: Miguel Guitierrez/EPA via CNS.)

My fellow Crux contributor Father Raymond de Souza on Wednesday issued a plea for Pope Francis to intervene directly in Venezuela to mobilize international opinion against the dictatorial and discredited regime of President Nicolás Maduro.

The Holy See, he claimed, was “unsure how to proceed.” At risk was “its entire diplomatic credibility.” Without “a quick and dramatic intervention in favor of the opposition to Maduro, Pope Francis’s Venezuela policy will compromise his status as a serious player in global affairs.”

[…]

I’m frankly amazed that de Souza has fallen right into the trap Maduro has laid and which his henchmen are currently exploiting, of a “left-wing” Francis versus “right-wing” bishops. Given that De Souza has elsewhere admonished Francis for what he thinks are his suspiciously socialist views, I guess this was a trap waiting for him.

[…]

According to the Vatican expert Luis Badilla, neither the government nor the opposition could give the guarantees the Holy See required for it to be involved in facilitating talks. All sides, he told Agence France Presse, have “used the pope and are not trustworthy.”

[…]

Right now, what is in Venezuela’s best interests is that all agree to a negotiated way out of the crisis, or it will continue to spiral into fratricidal violence.

For the Church to back one party of the opposition against any of the others would be to escalate the conflict. It has to be a joint exercise if it is to have any chance of success.

That’s what Francis meant when he said that without the necessary guarantees “we are just playing childish games that lead nowhere.” …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am

+JMJ+

Pope and Trump focused on life, religious freedom and conscience, Vatican says
U.S. President Donald Trump stands with Pope Francis during a meeting, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, at the Vatican. (Credit: AP Photo/Evan Vucci, Pool.)

… In advance of the meeting, officials from both the Vatican and the White House emphasized they wanted a friendly encounter, and today’s statement strikes that tone. It avoided any direct mention of past flashpoints between Trump and the pontiff, such as the president’s call for building a wall along the U.S./Mexico border to halt the flow of immigrants or his reported consideration of abandoning the Paris climate change agreement that Francis and his encyclical letter Laudato Si' helped to inspire.

Francis, did however, find a subtler way of making his ecological case to Trump, presenting him with a copy of Laudato Si’ along with other papal texts.

From Rome, Trump departs on Wednesday for Brussels for a NATO summit before returning to the Italian island of Sicily for a gathering of G7 leaders.

So far, the White House has not issued a statement on the meeting with Francis. Trump is not scheduled for a press briefing while in Rome, though he met both the Italian Prime Minister, Paolo Gentiloni, and President Sergio Mattarella.

During his meeting with Gentiloni, Trump called Francis “something” and said he and the pope had a “fantastic meeting.”

In a statement issued later in the day, the White House largely confirmed the Vatican’s version of what had transpired in the meeting, adding one other detail: that the two sides had discussed anti-famine efforts. …

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Good evening.

I am Sacrementally married and civilly divorced.

The chances of reconciliation are slim to none.

I am not in full communion with the Roman rite and have obstained from the Sacrement offered at Mass.

I have no physical or emotional issues with remaining faithful to the Church teachings is this odd situation.

Why am I telling you this?

Not real sure. But there it is.
DL Jake