THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 pm
Good evening.

I am Sacrementally married and civilly divorced.

The chances of reconciliation are slim to none.

I am not in full communion with the Roman rite and have obstained from the Sacrement offered at Mass.

I have no physical or emotional issues with remaining faithful to the Church teachings is this odd situation.

Why am I telling you this?

Not real sure. But there it is.
Having walked in similar shoes, I sympathize with you. The Lord who gave us the Eucharist also gave us baptismal water, crucifixes, blessings, and the sign of the cross. Of course they're no substitute for the Real Presence, but they impart little bits of grace upon us.

God bless.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Good evening.

I am not in full communion with the Roman rite and have obstained from the Sacrement offered at Mass.

I have no physical or emotional issues with remaining faithful to the Church teachings is this odd situation.

Having walked in similar shoes, I sympathize with you. The Lord who gave us the Eucharist also gave us baptismal water, crucifixes, blessings, and the sign of the cross. Of course they're no substitute for the Real Presence, but they impart little bits of grace upon us.

God bless.
I didn't know that being civilly divorced meant that you were barred from the Eucharist, except for a time perhaps. I thought people barred themselves from the Eucharist if they were sacrementally married, civilly divorced, never got an annulment and then civilly remarried. :confused:

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu May 25, 2017 6:32 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Good evening.

God bless.
I didn't know that being civilly divorced meant that you were barred from the Eucharist, except for a time perhaps. I thought people barred themselves from the Eucharist if they were sacrementally married, civilly divorced, never got an annulment and then civilly remarried. :confused:
There are several steps to full communion. I assumed he simply hasn't been confirmed or something else.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 am

Thunktank wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Good evening.

I am not in full communion with the Roman rite and have abstained from the Sacrament offered at Mass.

God bless.
Being civilly divorced does not keep one from the Sacrament. The remarried no annulment line is right.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 am
Thunktank wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Good evening.

I am not in full communion with the Roman rite and have abstained from the Sacrament offered at Mass.

God bless.
Being civilly divorced does not keep one from the Sacrament. The remarried no annulment line is right.
Ah, sorry. I guess I assumed the wrong idea about your situation.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 am
Thunktank wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Good evening.

God bless.
Ah, sorry. I guess I assumed the wrong idea about your situation.
np, I tossed it out there. all good.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue May 30, 2017 7:11 am

+JMJ+

An Argentine asks Americans, why the obsession with the culture wars?
Pope Francis delivers his message at the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Guardia, in Genoa, Italy, Saturday, May 27, 2017. (Credit: Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP.)

ROME - I’m often accused of selectively playing my “I’m from Argentina” card. I do so to justify typos when writing in English, to wash my hands of responsibility when someone talks to me about American politics, or when my friends question why I don’t like American sports such as baseball.

Never, however, am I happier to play it than when the “culture wars” come into a conversation.

The concept of “left v. right” Catholicism was a new one to me when I began writing for Crux.

Of course, I knew that there were some bishops, priests, and laity who had liberal ideas, and others who missed the pre-conciliar times. But the idea of people getting at each other’s throats, accusing one another of being Catholic or not in newspaper columns, was a revelation.

Commentators today often speak about the need for this culture war inside the Church to end. However, their style doesn’t seem to follow Francis’s call for dialogue and bridge-building. It often takes more of a “we’ve won, the other side should admit defeat” tone.

I worry that the left and right in the United States is missing two key points of Francis’s magisterium.

On Saturday, during a busy one-day trip to the Italian port city of Genoa, the Argentine pontiff described the Church as a river. He did so as he was giving a set of mostly off-the-cuff remarks to the local religious community, including nuns, bishops, priests and seminarians.

“The Church is like a river: the important thing is to be in the river,” Francis said. “If you are in the center or more to the right or to the left, but within the river, this is a legitimate variety … So many times we want the river to narrow only on our side and condemn others … this is not fraternity. Everyone inside the river. All. This is what you learn in seminary.”

One has to wonder, are the culture warriors conscious of the fact that when they do the victory dance - claiming that the time for the Catholic left or right has arrived, and that those on the other side should remain quiet and accept defeat - they are actually ignoring Francis’s call for a more welcoming church? …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 am

+JMJ+

Key papal ally says ‘Amoris’ means tougher line on divorce in the West
Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria. (Credit: CNS.)

VIENNA, Austria - While critics of Pope Francis’s document Amoris Laetitia often see it as fostering a permissive line on divorce and remarriage, a key papal ally says that if people actually take it seriously, at least in the West it would likely mean greater firmness vis-à-vis a “lax” culture.

“In some areas of the Church, discernment in the sense of Amoris Laetitia, would lead to a stricter attitude,” Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria, told Crux on Tuesday.

The 72-year-old Dominican, widely seen as one of the leading intellectual lights of the European hierarchy, spoke in an exclusive interview in his archbishop’s palace.

[…]

His point was that Amoris Laetitia calls for a lengthy and morally serious process of discernment about the failure of a marriage modeled on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits. If that’s really taken seriously, he suggested, it would certainly be a more rigorous screening process for admission to Communion than is often the case in the trenches in many Western cultures.

Schönborn also said he’s “not really” troubled by the fact that different bishops and groups of bishops have given different interpretations of Amoris, since “reception is a long process.”

What Schönborn does believe is that the Church shouldn’t be in such a hurry to draw immediate practical conclusions, and more focused of becoming “imbued” with the spirit of the document and especially its call to discernment.

“It needs discussion, and I’m not afraid that the voices of the bishops and of the laity aren’t fully concordant,” he said.

Schönborn also touched on other matters in his Crux interview:
  • He argued Pope Francis forms a “triptych” with his predecessors St. John Paul II and emeritus Pope Benedict XVI, saying they “had to secure the basics of Catholic teaching, which were seriously menaced,” while Francis brings a keen sense of “where people stand, where they are, how their lives are, and where they have to be led.”
  • He acknowledged that the cardinals who elected Pope Francis didn’t quite know what they were getting – though, he laughs, since he expected to be surprised, in a sense Francis has turned out to be precisely what he anticipated.
  • He insisted that the categories of left v. right should be “forgotten” when trying to understand the Church. St. Thomas Aquinas, he says, wasn’t conservative or progressive, but “simply bright and Catholic.”
  • We can’t take for granted that the faith won’t die out in contemporary Western Europe the way it did historically in Turkey and North Africa, Schönborn said, but he nevertheless sees signs of hope – principally in immigrants bringing a vibrant faith to the Old Continent, and in small pockets of committed young believers.
[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 am

+JMJ+

Forget ‘Left v. Right’ — look for ‘bright’ and ‘Catholic,’ cardinal says
Cardinal Christoph Schönborn. (Credit: ©Mazur via catholicnews.org.uk.)

Early in his career, Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria, was seen as a conservative protégé of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, while today he's mostly viewed as a progressive ally of Pope Francis. Rather than any fundamental shift in himself or the Church, Schönborn says, what that illustrates is the inadequacy of the categories of 'left v. right' to begin with.

VIENNA, Austria - In a hyper-political world, one in which pretty much everything is assumed to serve either a left-wing or right-wing agenda, Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria, asks Catholics tempted by the culture wars a provocative rhetorical question: Which way did St. Thomas Aquinas lean?

The right answer, according to the 72-year-old Dominican intellectual, is “neither.”

“I never thought Aquinas is conservative or progressive,” Schönborn said. “He’s simply bright and Catholic.”

Schönborn spoke to Crux during an exclusive interview in his archbishop’s office in Vienna on May 30. …

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:12 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:11 am
+JMJ+

An Argentine asks Americans, why the obsession with the culture wars?
Pope Francis delivers his message at the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Guardia, in Genoa, Italy, Saturday, May 27, 2017. (Credit: Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP.)

ROME - I’m often accused of selectively playing my “I’m from Argentina” card. I do so to justify typos when writing in English, to wash my hands of responsibility when someone talks to me about American politics, or when my friends question why I don’t like American sports such as baseball.

Never, however, am I happier to play it than when the “culture wars” come into a conversation.

The concept of “left v. right” Catholicism was a new one to me when I began writing for Crux.

Of course, I knew that there were some bishops, priests, and laity who had liberal ideas, and others who missed the pre-conciliar times. But the idea of people getting at each other’s throats, accusing one another of being Catholic or not in newspaper columns, was a revelation.

Commentators today often speak about the need for this culture war inside the Church to end. However, their style doesn’t seem to follow Francis’s call for dialogue and bridge-building. It often takes more of a “we’ve won, the other side should admit defeat” tone.

I worry that the left and right in the United States is missing two key points of Francis’s magisterium.

On Saturday, during a busy one-day trip to the Italian port city of Genoa, the Argentine pontiff described the Church as a river. He did so as he was giving a set of mostly off-the-cuff remarks to the local religious community, including nuns, bishops, priests and seminarians.

“The Church is like a river: the important thing is to be in the river,” Francis said. “If you are in the center or more to the right or to the left, but within the river, this is a legitimate variety … So many times we want the river to narrow only on our side and condemn others … this is not fraternity. Everyone inside the river. All. This is what you learn in seminary.”

One has to wonder, are the culture warriors conscious of the fact that when they do the victory dance - claiming that the time for the Catholic left or right has arrived, and that those on the other side should remain quiet and accept defeat - they are actually ignoring Francis’s call for a more welcoming church? …
Not personally familiar with this phenomenon within the Church.

But I suppose anyone who has to read the comboxes of online Catholic news mags might think this is a big deal.

We should let our faith inform our lives, including secular politics -- which we already give too much time and faith.
But we should not let our faith become political.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 am

+JMJ+

Priest plants himself at popular music festival, goes viral on Reddit
Fr. David Jenuwine. (Credit: Dominic Figueroa / SPSE Napa.)

NAPA, California - What’s a good way to reach a lot of young people all at once? Become a social media sensation by planting yourself at an entrance of a popular music festival with a sign, some free stuff, and a smile.

That’s what Catholic priest Father David Jenuwine did last weekend, at BottleRock Napa, a three-day music festival with roughly 30,000 in attendance.

His sign read simply: Catholic priest. Blessings, Prayers, Confessions, Answers.

[…]

Jenuwine placed himself on one side of the festival, while his St. Paul Street Evangelization team camped out on the other side. They prayed for 20 minutes before the Blessed Sacrament before hitting the streets, “begging for the graces we need and to get ourselves in the zone,” he said.

Besides prayers and answers, they offered rosaries, prayer cards and miraculous medals. They went fast.

“That first night we gave away every rosary, every prayer card, every miraculous medal we had, but sure enough we found more, so we went out again Sunday,” Jenuwine said.

They stayed at the festival for about five hours on Saturday, and another couple hours on Sunday.

The responses varied widely, the priest said.

[…]

His youth minister, Dominic Figueroa, snapped a photo of Jenuwine hanging out under his street lamp with his sign, and he posted it on Facebook. Yesterday, friends started to realize that the post was trending on Reddit. It now has more than 640 votes and nearly 100 comments. …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:02 am

+JMJ+

In Catholic terms, anyway, US/Europe ties seem in good shape
Refugees from Afghanistan and Pakistan take part in a hunger strike at Votivkirche church in Vienna. Some 30 refugees who are on hunger strike to protest for better conditions for asylum seekers in Austria, have been allowed to stay in the Catholic church for the duration of their demonstration. A protest camp outside the church was cleared by police earlier on Friday. (Credit: Herwig Prammer/Reuters.)

At a time when political ties between the United States and Europe seem to be unraveling, exacerbated by Trump's recent decision to abandon the Paris climate change agreement, there's a case to be made that in Catholic terms, the "Atlantic alliance" is actually strong and getting stronger.

[…]

Speaking to an international conference on Friday, however, I laid out a counter-intuitive thesis: While political ties may be fraying, ecclesiastical bonds between the U.S. and the old continent are strong and getting stronger all the time.

[…]

This year the subject was the relationship between the United States and Europe, and my job was to discuss the religious, and specifically Catholic, dimension to things. I made the case that while politicians on either side are drifting apart, Catholic bishops are coming together on at least three key fronts.

The first is anti-Christian persecution, especially in the Middle East. It’s been flagged by the bishops of both Europe and the U.S. as a priority, reflecting the historical and spiritual value Christian leaders attach to the region, as well as the brutal realities Christians there face.

[…]

A second area of growing convergence across the Atlantic is immigration.

[…]

Third, the bishops of the United States increasingly find themselves in the same boat with their colleagues in Europe vis-à-vis the wars of culture.

[…]

If one wanted to add a final force bringing American and European Catholicism together, it would be Francis.

[…]

Whether this Catholic convergence will be enough to hold Europe and America together in a time when political leaders seem determined to drive them apart remains to be seen. It’s nevertheless striking that at least in Catholic terms, the Atlantic alliance seems healthier than ever.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 pm

+JMJ+

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:39 pm

The Most Reverend David Choby, Bishop of Nashville, died last night from complications of a blood infection.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/re ... 368904001/

RIP

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:44 pm

+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:39 pm
The Most Reverend David Choby, Bishop of Nashville, died last night from complications of a blood infection.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/re ... 368904001/

RIP

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:53 pm

+JMJ+

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 am

+JMJ+

Trump and Francis may face new tensions over Cuba
In this May 24, 2017, photo, Pope Francis meets with President Donald Trump at the Vatican. (Credit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino, Pool.)

ROME - Just days after basking in the support of white Evangelicals in a speech at the Faith and Freedom Forum in Washington, U.S. President Donald Trump may be poised to create new tensions with a different sort of religious leader with whom he already has an ambivalent relationship: Pope Francis.

[…]

Shortly after taking office, Trump ordered his national security team to undertake a review of American policy on Cuba with an eye towards undoing some of the openings under Obama, and is expected to package his announcement on Friday as a “promise kept.”

Assuming the president follows through, it’s unlikely to go down well with Francis.

[…]

The possible new tension over Cuba compounds other differences between the White House and Rome on issues such as immigration, anti-poverty efforts, and climate change, including the recent decision by the Trump administration to abandon the Paris accords which Francis and his environmental encyclical Laudato Si’ helped to inspire.

The pull-out from the Paris agreement was described as a “slap in the face” to the Vatican and Pope Francis by Bishop Marcelo Sanchez Sorondo, head of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences and the Academy of Social Sciences.

Despite those flashpoints, Trump and Francis had a cordial encounter in the Vatican on May 24, stressing basic agreement on matters such as religious freedom, the dignity of human life, rights of conscience, and the importance of defending persecuted Christians in the Middle East.

Nevertheless, the new twists on Paris and, apparently, now Cuba, suggest that if Callista Gingrich, the wife of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, is confirmed by the U.S. Senate as Trump’s ambassador to the Vatican, what already promised to be a fairly complicated diplomatic assignment is likely to be even more so.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 am

+JMJ+

Immigration arrests stun Detroit’s Chaldean Catholics
Friends and family view a bus outside the U.S. Detention and Deportation Center in Detroit, Sunday, June 11, 2017. A mass immigration and deportation sweep and arrest of dozens of Chaldeans in southeastern Michigan by U.S. immigration officials prompted the protest outside the detention center. Family members of the Catholics with Iraqi roots who were arrested indicate most had criminal records and were awaiting deportation. (Credit: Gus Burns/Mlive.com via AP.)

DETROIT - Dozens of Chaldean Christians were arrested by federal immigration officials over the weekend in the Detroit metropolitan area, leaving the local Church community with sadness and frustration.

“Yesterday was a very strange and painful day for our community in America,” Bishop Francis Kalabat of the Chaldean Catholic Eparchy of St. Thomas the Apostle of Detroit stated Monday in a Facebook post.

“With the many Chaldeans that were awakened by Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents and consequently picked up for deportation, there is a lot of confusion and anger,” he added.

Fr. Anthony Kathawa of St. Thomas Chaldean Church in West Bloomfield, Michigan, told Catholic News Agency June 12 that “As a community, we’re all suffering seeing the loss of our loved ones.”

On Sunday, the Detroit Free Press reported that ICE made around 40 arrests of Chaldeans in the Detroit area, according to community leaders.
ICE explained in a statement that Iraq, in negotiations with the U.S., had “agreed to accept” the individuals, who had criminal records.

“As a result of recent negotiations between the U.S. and Iraq, Iraq has recently agreed to accept a number of Iraqi nationals subject to orders of removal,” ICE stated.

A federal judge had also “ordered them removed,” ICE said, noting that their previous criminal offenses included homicide, rape, sexual assault, kidnapping, and “weapons violations.”

A “majority” of those detained are now at the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center in Youngstown, Ohio.

Many of those with criminal records have served their time in prison and have since become good citizens and members of the community, local church leaders insisted. …

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:42 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 am
+JMJ+

Immigration arrests stun Detroit’s Chaldean Catholics
Friends and family view a bus outside the U.S. Detention and Deportation Center in Detroit, Sunday, June 11, 2017. A mass immigration and deportation sweep and arrest of dozens of Chaldeans in southeastern Michigan by U.S. immigration officials prompted the protest outside the detention center. Family members of the Catholics with Iraqi roots who were arrested indicate most had criminal records and were awaiting deportation. (Credit: Gus Burns/Mlive.com via AP.)

DETROIT - Dozens of Chaldean Christians were arrested by federal immigration officials over the weekend in the Detroit metropolitan area, leaving the local Church community with sadness and frustration.

“Yesterday was a very strange and painful day for our community in America,” Bishop Francis Kalabat of the Chaldean Catholic Eparchy of St. Thomas the Apostle of Detroit stated Monday in a Facebook post.

“With the many Chaldeans that were awakened by Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents and consequently picked up for deportation, there is a lot of confusion and anger,” he added.

Fr. Anthony Kathawa of St. Thomas Chaldean Church in West Bloomfield, Michigan, told Catholic News Agency June 12 that “As a community, we’re all suffering seeing the loss of our loved ones.”

On Sunday, the Detroit Free Press reported that ICE made around 40 arrests of Chaldeans in the Detroit area, according to community leaders.
ICE explained in a statement that Iraq, in negotiations with the U.S., had “agreed to accept” the individuals, who had criminal records.

“As a result of recent negotiations between the U.S. and Iraq, Iraq has recently agreed to accept a number of Iraqi nationals subject to orders of removal,” ICE stated.

A federal judge had also “ordered them removed,” ICE said, noting that their previous criminal offenses included homicide, rape, sexual assault, kidnapping, and “weapons violations.”

A “majority” of those detained are now at the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center in Youngstown, Ohio.

Many of those with criminal records have served their time in prison and have since become good citizens and members of the community, local church leaders insisted. …
Saw this story on EWTN.

Christians are moving back into bombed-out Mosul.

But in America, the Trump Administration has not moved swiftly or humanely in favor of Christians displaced from Syria or Iraq as we had hoped. It is still as bad as the Obama Administration.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Troubling, if not scandalous:

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/06/14/vati ... e-academy/
Vatican Names Pro-Abortion Philosopher to Pro-Life Academy

Biggar, a professor of theology at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom, has made past statements in support of abortion and possibly even limited euthanasia, The National Catholic Register reports.

During a conversation with pro-abortion, pro-infanticide Professor Peter Singer, Biggar once said he thinks abortions should be legal up to 18 weeks after an unborn baby’s conception, The Catholic Herald reports.

“I would be inclined to draw the line for abortion at 18 weeks after conception, which is roughly about the earliest time when there is some evidence of brain activity, and therefore of consciousness,” Biggar said in 2011.

He continued: “It’s not clear that a human foetus is the same kind of thing as an adult or a mature human being, and therefore deserves quite the same treatment. It then becomes a question of where we draw the line, and there is no absolutely cogent reason for drawing it in one place over another.”