Archaeology in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Giant Pile of Rocks Discovered Beneath Sea of Galilee
It appears to be a giant cairn, rocks piled on top of each other. Structures like this are known from elsewhere in the world and are sometimes used to mark burials. Researchers do not know if the newly discovered structure was used for this purpose.
"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," the researchers write in their journal article. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Secret Code: Music Score May Lead to Nazi Gold

Nazi gold? A treasure map within a music score? awesome.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:04 pm

The Brits have found a 2000 yo Roman Imperial Eagle in London.

It's in such fine condition that they thought it might be a Victorian garden statue. Hidden in an old ditch and now found thanks to building a hotel on the site. They can't build anywhere without archeologists looking first. And it's curious how often they find stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013 ... lpture-art
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Mummified beef ribs found in Egypt

So though our meat-heavy diets may be a modern innovation—our reverence for a good slab of beef apparently is not.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:19 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 pm

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-bri ... ica-found/
Citizens of Britain can now trace their origins several large steps backward in time. Archaeologists recently discovered the oldest set of human footprints outside of Africa along the eastern coast of Britain.

Rough seas last summer in the village of Happisburgh, Norfolk, washed away portions of the shore revealing a set of about 50 footprints. Researchers estimate the prints are between 800,000 and 1 million years old, which is now the oldest evidence of early humans ever found in northern Europe.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:34 pm

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-bri ... e-peoples/
Researchers today announced the successful whole-genome sequencing of Anzick-1, the remains of an infant boy who lived roughly 12,600 years ago. The remains were discovered in central Montana in 1968 during a construction project. Anzick-1 was a crucial find for archaeologists even before scientists completed the DNA analysis — the child’s remains are the oldest known burial in North America and the only human remains ever found that are definitively associated with the Clovis people, the continent’s first known indigenous culture.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 am

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 pm

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-bri ... -ancestry/
An ancient human skeleton discovered in an underwater Mexican cave has answered a crucial question about early Americans: How they came to look so different from their Siberian ancestors.

Genetic studies have pointed to a Siberian ancestry for modern Native Americans. Most researchers believe the first Americans (Paleoamericans) migrated from northwest Asia via Beringia, the now-submerged land bridge between present-day Siberia and Alaska, some 18,000-26,000 years ago. But the facial features of the oldest American skeletons don’t look much like those of modern Native Americans. This has inspired a number of controversial counter-theories claiming the Americas were first settled by people from elsewhere in Eurasia.

Now, the near-complete skeleton of a teenaged girl, believed to be 12,000-13,000 years old, is helping settle the debate. Her skull, with its narrow face, prominent forehead and wide-set eyes, is similar to that of other skulls considered to be Paleoamerican — but she shares a genetic signature with modern Native Americans.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:50 pm

EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Re: Archaeology in the News

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:15 am

to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:29 am

i watched a segment of a series You Inner Fish on PBS showing how life evolved over billions of years through changes in the DNA of the basic cellar structure. One learns a lot watching PBS.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:29 am

Cliff wrote:i watched a segment of a series You Inner Fish on PBS showing how life evolved over billions of years through changes in the DNA of the basic cellar structure. One learns a lot watching PBS.
This sounds fishy to me.
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

ElgarAlienPooh
lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post by ElgarAlienPooh » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 am

Great Serpent Mound built by the Adena (!) : http://ancientearthworksproject.org/1/p ... s-old.html

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/831180- ... nt-greece/

the Bolivian Amazon before about 2,000 to 3,000 years ago looked more like the savannas of Africa than today's jungle environment : http://www.sott.net/article/281532-Myst ... rainforest

Cahokia : Excavations in the Midwest have turned up evidence of a massive ancient fire that likely marked “the beginning of the end” for what was once America’s largest city, archaeologists say. http://westerndigs.org/epic-fire-marked ... s-suggest/
Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in light. (Groucho Marx).

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:44 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:50 pm

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re:

Post by tuttle » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:18 am

tuttle wrote:
AFRS wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:Not sure if this has been posted or not anywhere else, but there are a couple of very important manuscripts currently being researched. One is of Paul's letter to the Romans and the other is the Gospel of Mark. Both are believed to be extremely early. The Romans text is believed to be from around 150 A.D., which would make it the earliest copy of a letter written by Paul we have; the Mark text is believed to be first century. The Mark text is what everyone is talking about, but not much information can be released because of publication policies. Daniel Wallace, a revered and highly skilled New Testament scholar, has released some information concerning the Mark text, but nothing conclusive.

In the coming year, the two will be researched further to confirm the dates. If Mark ends up being from the first century, it is a huge find. Mark has been one of the harder Gospels to reconstruct because Matthew took priority over Mark in the early centuries; thus, it was not copied as much as Matthew. Hence, why the end of Mark we have is ambiguous, while the real was lost.

Anyway, it interested me. If this has already been posted, carry on.
This is interesting. Do you have a link?
Hov posted about it here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27514&hilit=gospel+of+mark
Thought it was interesting that this is coming up again in the news. Looks like all the folks who are working on this have signed non-disclosure agreements until the findings are published which is expected later this year. I guess the only reason they are speaking more about it now is because Wallace let it slip in 2012. How awesome is it that they found it in a mummy mask? This Evans guy says they believe it to be from around 80 AD. It'll be interesting to hear more when this thing is published.

Mummy Mask My Reveal Oldest Known Gospel

Also, completely outside of the awesome biblical find, apparently they are finding thousands of these handwritten papers used for stuff like this. With the new methods they could have loads and loads of new information that impacts lots of different things; history, religion, literature, etc.

Along those same lines I found this article about new ways and techniques scholars are using to try to read unreadable scrolls discovered in a library buried after the volcano destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum: http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/21/world/fea ... s-scrolls/
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 am