Archaeology in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Archaeology in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:54 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 am

Good article. It reminded me of a show on Netflix I've been watching called The Detectorists.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:29 pm

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:08 pm

http://nouvelles.umontreal.ca/en/articl ... n-thought/
The earliest settlement date of North America, until now estimated at 14,000 years Before Present (BP) according to the earliest dated archaeological sites, is now estimated at 24,000 BP, at the height of the last ice age or Last Glacial Maximum.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:19 am

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

ISIS in the News

Post by AFRS » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks ISIS - Senacharib's Palace

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:31 am

And you complain about the amount of speculation wrt dinosaur feathers :-P

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 am

Leave it to the Baptist news to say Southern Baptist Theological seminary discovered the remains. To be quite frank, the remains were actually discovered by two friends of mine who did not attend Southern. Either way, it is a monumental discovery.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 am
Leave it to the Baptist news to say Southern Baptist Theological seminary discovered the remains. To be quite frank, the remains were actually discovered by two friends of mine who did not attend Southern. Either way, it is a monumental discovery.
You may be reading it wrong. I think they're referring to the denomination, not the actual "Southern" seminary located in kentucky. It's not worded very well.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 am

Joshoowah wrote:
I don't look to the Baptist News site to be the standard in journalism, but I'm glad someone reported it :lol:

How cool for your friends to be involved in the discovery! That ranks right up there with one of the coolest things I'll never do.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:13 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am
Joshoowah wrote:
You may be reading it wrong. I think they're referring to the denomination, not the actual "Southern" seminary located in kentucky. It's not worded very well.
The articles reads as if Southern or Southern Baptists are ones who discovered it, which is far from the truth. Sure, I'm sure there were Southern Baptists participating in the dig, but there is no reason to make it sound as if it was only the Southern Baptists. There were dozens of archaeological programs from other seminaries that were at this dig, one archaeologist being from Asbury Theological and another from Memphis Theological and several others that made the discovery. These types of digs require the efforts of several entities to make it possible, which is great for unity, but I still don't understand why the article must be worded so badly.

I digress; my apologies.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:13 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
The articles reads as if Southern or Southern Baptists are ones who discovered it, which is far from the truth. Sure, I'm sure there were Southern Baptists participating in the dig, but there is no reason to make it sound as if it was only the Southern Baptists. There were dozens of archaeological programs from other seminaries that were at this dig, one archaeologist being from Asbury Theological and another from Memphis Theological and several others that made the discovery. These types of digs require the efforts of several entities to make it possible, which is great for unity, but I still don't understand why the article must be worded so badly.

I digress; my apologies.
It's not worded badly...it's worded baptist-ly. :D

ok i'm sorry :oops:

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 am
Joshoowah wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

I digress; my apologies.

:lol:

You're okay, you know that?

ImageImage

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 am
tuttle wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 am
Joshoowah wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

I digress; my apologies.

:lol:

You're okay, you know that?
I'm probably not right in the head. It was both a failed pun and a failed dig. Southern Baptists like to take credit for lots of things. They track their growth through reported baptisms the same way. No questions asked. Just give us the number thank you. Baptistz is fine and okay all the timez and big.

Hi, my name is tuttle and I'm a recovering southern baptist.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:14 am

Roman Ruins Found in France Are Called ‘Exceptional’
LONDON — Archaeologists have discovered the well-preserved remains of a Roman neighborhood that was destroyed early in the first millennium after Christ, in what the French Culture Ministry called an “exceptional discovery.”

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm

3,700-year-old Babylonian tablet rewrites the history of maths - and shows the Greeks did not develop trigonometry
It opens up new possibilities not just for modern mathematics research, but also for mathematics education. With Plimpton 322 we see a simpler, more accurate trigonometry that has clear advantages over our own.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm
3,700-year-old Babylonian tablet rewrites the history of maths - and shows the Greeks did not develop trigonometry
It opens up new possibilities not just for modern mathematics research, but also for mathematics education. With Plimpton 322 we see a simpler, more accurate trigonometry that has clear advantages over our own.
This is extremely cool in many ways.

But this quote from someone claiming to be smart made me roll my eyes til they crashed into my brain:
“This is a rare example of the ancient world teaching us something new.”
This statement encapsulates pretty nicely what I despise about modernism.