Archaeology in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Archaeology in the News

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 27, 2016 11:01 am

tuttle wrote:
I saw this yesterday. So awesome. (As it is, I've begun to read Aristotle for the very first time this year...Poetics)
Odd. I just pulled out Rhetoric this morning before I saw this.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri May 27, 2016 4:19 pm

More info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2s_lhQ6d6s

GreekReporter: Aristotle’s 2,400-Year-Old Tomb Found at Stagira

So the reasoning seems to be:
1) Literary sources (maybe medieval, maybe earlier, not explicitly referenced) say the tomb of Aristotle should be there,
2) The building they found dates to the right era because of artifacts found at the same level and is of the right stature or architectural importance.
3) But as yet there is no direct evidence (eg a labeled tombstone or architectural feature with Aristotle's name on it) and some indication that it really is a tomb.

I don't know whether there exists standards of confidence with levels of evidence in archaeology.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:59 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:17 am

+JMJ+

Mystery Of Morbid Aztec Skull Masks Solved By Archaeologists

Eight masks made from human skulls were found at a temple in Tenochtitlán, Mexico, over three decades ago. Their purpose and origins have always been somewhat mysterious. But a new archaeological analysis suggests that these morbid masks may have been made from slain warriors and other elite members of ancient Aztec society.

The Templo Mayor (Great Temple) was the religious and political heart of Tenochtitlán, a city-state on an island in the Valley of Mexico that became the Aztec Empire's capital in the 15th century AD. The temple was dedicated to Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec god of war and the sun, and archaeologists have found abundant evidence of human ritual sacrifice there, suggesting this practice was key to Aztec religion. Human sacrifice included beheading, extraction of the heart, throwing people into fires, and fights to the death. But the handful of skull masks are unusual, even in the context of ritual sacrifice.

[…]

The masks in question are “decorative headpieces made from human skulls that would have been worn over the face or as part of a headdress,” Ragsdale and colleagues write. The skulls have been heavily modified to create interesting looking objects: the back portion of the cranium was removed, they were decorated with dye, and some had inlays in the eyes and chert blades placed in the nose.

[…]

Drawing together all the data gleaned from bioarchaeological and experimental data, the researchers conclude that “the skull masks were created using the skulls of captured or defeated warriors that were acquired from conquered towns or the executed nobility.” It is even possible that one of the skull masks represents the defeated king of Tollocan, who is known from historical records.

Human sacrifice was a common phenomenon in the Aztec Empire. There are debates among experts about just how many people suffered this fate, but historical sources suggest that at least 20,000 people died in this way at Tenochtitlán. Most of them were likely captives of war or tribute payments, as mentioned in the Codex Mendoza, an Aztec record of their history. And most of those people were low-status, ending up in large, commingled pits. Ragsdale and colleagues’ study, though, shows that the Aztecs didn’t treat everyone the same in the context of human sacrifice. The skull masks appear to have been a special fate reserved for the most elite warriors and nobility.

Ragsdale tells me that the next phase of his work involves analysis of several tzompantlis, or skull racks for display of sacrificial victims, from Templo Mayor and beyond. He plans to do similar analyses to investigate the creation of these racks, but will add 3D scanning of the facial skeletons to better understand what these people might have looked like.

For more information on the site and to see some of the artifacts and skull offerings, you can take a virtual tour of the Templo Mayor Museum here.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Discovery of Philistine Cemetery May Solve Biblical Mystery

Besides the click-bait title, it is a huge discovery.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 am

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:53 am

A Dark Ages castle has been discovered at Tintagel (the traditional site of King Arthur's conception/birth)
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:21 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Wait, we're supposed to believe that the High Friggin' Priest of Israel would give away one of their most ancient artifacts to a crusader? Oy gevalt :egor:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:41 pm

infidel wrote:
Wait, we're supposed to believe that the High Friggin' Priest of Israel would give away one of their most ancient artifacts to a crusader? Oy gevalt :egor:
I doubt he "gave" it...

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 pm

UncleBob wrote:
infidel wrote:
I doubt he "gave" it...
I'm sure it was much like the precious jewels from the Taj Mahal you'll find in the British Museum, where a sign hangs beside that reads: "Gifted by the Indian people."
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:16 pm

Modern Technology Unlocks Secrets of a Damaged Biblical Scroll

Not only is this exciting from a technological standpoint (there are tons of "un-openable" scrolls all over the world that might be accessed now!) but it's interesting to not that:
The scroll’s content, the first two chapters of the Book of Leviticus, has consonants — early Hebrew texts didn’t specify vowels — that are identical to those of the Masoretic text
which means,
“This is the earliest evidence of the exact form of the medieval text,” he said, referring to the Masoretic text.

“It doesn’t tell us what was the original text, only that the Masoretic text is a very ancient text in all of its details,” Dr. Segal said. “And we now have evidence that this text was being used from a very early date by Jews in the land of Israel.”

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Ancient Roman coins found buried under ruins of Japanese castle leave archaeologists baffled
Archaeologists were left baffled by the "strange" discovery of ancient Roman coins buried in the ruins of a castle in Japan.

The four copper coins were retrieved from soil beneath Katsuren Castle on Okinawa Island, and were originally thought to be a hoax before their true provenance was revealed.

The designs on the coins are difficult to decipher as they have been eroded over time, but x-ray analysis revealed several of the relics bore the image of Emperor Constantine I.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 am

infidel wrote:Ancient Roman coins found buried under ruins of Japanese castle leave archaeologists baffled
Archaeologists were left baffled by the "strange" discovery of ancient Roman coins buried in the ruins of a castle in Japan.

The four copper coins were retrieved from soil beneath Katsuren Castle on Okinawa Island, and were originally thought to be a hoax before their true provenance was revealed.

The designs on the coins are difficult to decipher as they have been eroded over time, but x-ray analysis revealed several of the relics bore the image of Emperor Constantine I.
darn. the link is blocked for me. does it say how old the castle is?

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:51 am

tuttle wrote:
infidel wrote:Ancient Roman coins found buried under ruins of Japanese castle leave archaeologists baffled

darn. the link is blocked for me. does it say how old the castle is?
It doesn't say.

Here is the wiki entry for the castle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuren_Castle

Says it was built 13th-14th century.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:29 pm

This is long and meandering, but still interesting

When Roman “Barbarians” Met the Asian Enlightenment

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:55 am

infidel wrote:This is long and meandering, but still interesting

When Roman “Barbarians” Met the Asian Enlightenment
Yeah that was interesting. Thanks for the link

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:55 pm