Skip's shamelessly self-serving photography thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Skip's shamelessly self-serving photography thread

Post by Skip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Since I've made the career change, I'm going to start posting favourite shots.

Starting with some of the cooler shots from the recent Canada trip...

More of these (and larger sizes) are at: http://skipm1.smugmug.com/Travel/Canada ... 402_t9TFP9

Image Dragonfly munchin' down on lunch. Canon 5D Mk III, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 1/250, f/32, ISO 3200

Image Shortly after moonrise. Canon 5D Mk III, EF 70-200m f/2.8L IS, 70mm, 1/160, f/3.2, ISO 5000

Image He doesn't smoke cigars, except when he's in Canada and I bring them along for the before-dinner break. Canon 40D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 40mm, 1/40, f/5.6, ISO 200

Image Kind of sad to see this place falling down. But the evening light was incredible. Canon 5D Mk III, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 200mm, 1/400, f/2.8, ISO 250

Image Early evening back-trolling on the river. Canon 40D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 10mm, 1/640, f/16, ISO 200

Image More of the river. The smaller image doesn't do it justice, and it could probably be pulled into Photoshop and worked over a bit more than I can do with Lightroom. Canon 5D Mk III, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 200mm, 1/400, f/2.8, ISO 125.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:26 pm

great pictures! the moonrise is fantastic
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:36 pm

very nice work
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Nice!

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Very Nice :joy: :joy:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Do you have gallery representation yet?
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Excelente!

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Cliff wrote:Very Nice :joy: :joy:
I'm genuinely impressed. These are really striking images.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 am

Great stuff Skip, you inspire me. Zed's snaps do as well.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:18 am

Pretty.

"He doesn't smoke cigars, except when he's in Canada and I bring them along for the before-dinner break." suggests that he's not normally in Canada ie not a Canadian. It also suggests by vague implication that neither of you were smoking Cuban cigars, which you would be if either of you were Canadian. Burning Cuban crops one at a time is a tradition here and legal even if discouraged officially.

And BTW I did ask before but it's worth repeating, since you didn't answer, given Canada is a big place just where in the country were you when you were playing with pike and stealing our light?
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:35 am

Rusty wrote:And BTW I did ask before but it's worth repeating, since you didn't answer, given Canada is a big place just where in the country were you when you were playing with pike and stealing our light?
Thought I'd answered. North Shore Lodge, Eagle Lake, NW Ontario. West of Dryden.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 am

Skip wrote:
Rusty wrote:And BTW I did ask before but it's worth repeating, since you didn't answer, given Canada is a big place just where in the country were you when you were playing with pike and stealing our light?
Thought I'd answered. North Shore Lodge, Eagle Lake, NW Ontario. West of Dryden.
Ahh that's further out than I was guessing. The trees are right but the land forms weren't quite right. Looks like an American infiltration exercise.
Danka.

http://www.northshorelodgeontario.com/
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 am

Jocose wrote:Great stuff Skip, you inspire me. Zed's snaps do as well.
mine are better because I'm not even a novice yet so I just have raw talent

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:14 am

Zed wrote:
Raw - Raunchy American Women? Not so far....
Novice - Night Operational Vision and the Individual Combat Engineer? Maybe....
Turn off the auto exposure stuff and start playing with F-stops and shutter speeds then we'll see.

Skip is, apparently, the only other person, than moi, on CPS, that definitely knows what a 'stop' is in photography. Shocking. The rest of you are beyond the pale. But if you'd like to take a crack at it, Zed, I asked the question in the now infamous 'do numbers exist' thread. I was hoping that the Hov creature might know the answer, since he plays with big cameras but he never did answer. Here it is ... just for you.

In LF photography we are often in photographic situations where we have to adjust exposures for loss. The typical run of the mill causes for loss and the need for adjustment are filter factors and bellows extension. But there are more eg reciprocity failure. We can express these losses as multiplicative factors that are applied to the duration of exposure or we can translate them to intensity and then they are additive stops that can be used to amend aperture (ie stops) or exposure duration.
Why are corrections as stops additive but factors are multiplied?
The answer is found in the mathematical nature of stops vs. factors. What are these? ie what is a stop?

LF is Large Format or Luddite Fanatic if you want. And the math stuff is a more precise terminology but there is a more common way of saying it that doesn't require math. Most photographers who have spent some time with f-stops and shutter speeds do know this even though fewer are math literate.

Hey Hov, why do we, LF cam folks, encounter these correction scenarios more often than the digital and small cam folks?

Apologies to Skip for hijacking his thread ... a bit.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 am

Rusty wrote:
Zed wrote:
Turn off the auto exposure stuff and start playing with F-stops and shutter speeds then we'll see.

Skip is, apparently, the only other person, than moi, on CPS, that definitely knows what a 'stop' is in photography. Shocking. The rest of you are beyond the pale. But if you'd like to take a crack at it, Zed, I asked the question in the now infamous 'do numbers exist' thread. I was hoping that the Hov creature might know the answer, since he plays with big cameras but he never did answer. Here it is ... just for you.

In LF photography we are often in photographic situations where we have to adjust exposures for loss. The typical run of the mill causes for loss and the need for adjustment are filter factors and bellows extension. But there are more eg reciprocity failure. We can express these losses as multiplicative factors that are applied to the duration of exposure or we can translate them to intensity and then they are additive stops that can be used to amend aperture (ie stops) or exposure duration.
The answer is found in the mathematical nature of stops vs. factors. What are these? ie what is a stop?

LF is Large Format or Luddite Fanatic if you want. And the math stuff is a more precise terminology but there is a more common way of saying it that doesn't require math. Most photographers who have spent some time with f-stops and shutter speeds do know this even though fewer are math literate.

Hey Hov, why do we, LF cam folks, encounter these correction scenarios more often than the digital and small cam folks?

Hijacking? That was a pleasure to read. :D

N8
Has Really "Nice Rings"
Has Really "Nice Rings"

Post by N8 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 am

Skip, nice work as always!!! Beautiful stuff. But it seems like something's missing....can't quite put my finger on it...

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:26 am

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:36 am

Skip wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Zed wrote:

Oh good! You're not pissed.

I think there is another person on CPS that does know about stops in photography - GA. I believe he has posted about photography before and if so then I'm pretty sure it's something he knows. Plus it's really not a big technical challenge but rather fundamental stuff which is really the point of posting about it.

Oh there is a curious difference I wanted to ask Skip about. Why do digital camera users specify the speed of the sensor as ISO whereas film users usually call it EI (exposure index) as the speed rating we used in our exposure calculations? For us the film may have a nominal speed rating assigned by the manufacturer (determined under conditions specified in an ISO standard) but we know that it's not a fixed constant independent of conditions (eg light level, subject brightness range, developer, etc). So EI reminds us that there is an explicit choice that needs to be made. How is that so different than the situation with digital sensors? I understand that you're selecting the sensitivity of the sensor.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 am

MrPiper wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Zed wrote:

LF has a larger apperature to achieve the same ratio to the larger receptive surface. Light speed is constant. It makes the system more finicky.
Not true. The difference with LF is that the lenses are longer than with smaller formats, for a given viewing angle, because the sensor size is larger. This is from geometry. Having a larger sensor does mean we get into situations where we need to correct exposures more often than smaller format photographers do. But that's the question for Hov and you're not going to trick me into answering it yet.

Whether we're talking 8 meter objective telescopes, tiny sensor digital cameras, or large format cameras the aperture size is defined and used exactly the same way. It is a dimensionless number that is a ratio of the principal focal length divided by the diameter of the aperture. So a 90mm lens on a LF camera has exactly the same size opening at f/8 as would the same lens, set at the same aperture does on a small camera from the pov of the sensor. The 90mm lens for a view camera likely has more coverage. In fact the actual intensity of light at the sensor is exactly the same for both.
MrPiper wrote:Since light speed is faster than Zed can eat a dozen doughnuts, the multiplicative question should be obvious versus the F stop being additive.
The speed of light varies with camera? Einstein is rolling in his grave!

The additive stops vs. multiplicative factors does not depend upon the sensor format or size. It is inherent in the idea of stops vs. linear measures like durations of time. That's less abstract than it reads. These are different domains with different measures. So we can multiply the exposure by a factor or add the equivalent number of stops. The LF camera includes no automation to do it for him. The LF camera has all the intelligence of a few pieces of wood, canvas, and a couple of coke bottles. Stupid is way over-estimating its intelligence. There is no automation whatsoever. The beast doesn't even advance to the next piece of unused film. So the LF photog really has to understand each step or a technical failure results. With DSLR's one can watch them deal with it or the photographer could choose to deal with it just like a view camera user.

Zed

Post by Zed » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:42 am

Rusty wrote:
Skip wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Zed wrote:

Oh good! You're not pissed.

I think there is another person on CPS that does know about stops in photography - GA. I believe he has posted about photography before and if so then I'm pretty sure it's something he knows. Plus it's really not a big technical challenge but rather fundamental stuff which is really the point of posting about it.

Oh there is a curious difference I wanted to ask Skip about. Why do digital camera users specify the speed of the sensor as ISO whereas film users usually call it EI (exposure index) as the speed rating we used in our exposure calculations? For us the film may have a nominal speed rating assigned by the manufacturer (determined under conditions specified in an ISO standard) but we know that it's not a fixed constant independent of conditions (eg light level, subject brightness range, developer, etc). So EI reminds us that there is an explicit choice that needs to be made. How is that so different than the situation with digital sensors? I understand that you're selecting the sensitivity of the sensor.
I've just started reading the advanced stuff.

Now I just have to figure out what an aperture is....