What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5265
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
I am roasting a chicken.
How did it turn out? Crispy on the outside, moist & tender on the inside?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 15837
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
I am roasting a chicken.
How did it turn out? Crispy on the outside, moist & tender on the inside?
It did, thanks for asking. Such a simple dish, but a very homey one, too.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22373
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am

Trying to figure out what is going on with the finish on my camera. It's mahogany, built in the mid-50s-early-60s. It's become mottled and developed some thick black deposits. I can remove most of the black but it leaves a tackiness that will attract dirt. I've been trying to find out what sort of finish it came with and narrowed it down to either shellac, laquer, or (a war time expedient) nitrocellulose lacquer. I'd like to avoid a full refinish if possible.Image

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5265
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am
Trying to figure out what is going on with the finish on my camera. It's mahogany, built in the mid-50s-early-60s. It's become mottled and developed some thick black deposits. I can remove most of the black but it leaves a tackiness that will attract dirt. I've been trying to find out what sort of finish it came with and narrowed it down to either shellac, laquer, or (a war time expedient) nitrocellulose lacquer. I'd like to avoid a full refinish if possible.Image
Mahogany is naturally dark, so it was never stained before finishing. I'd remove the bellows and go over it numerous times w/ a toothbrush with lacquer thinner. Let it dry, sand lightly with 180 grit, dust it off and paste wax it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 15837
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am
Trying to figure out what is going on with the finish on my camera. It's mahogany, built in the mid-50s-early-60s. It's become mottled and developed some thick black deposits. I can remove most of the black but it leaves a tackiness that will attract dirt. I've been trying to find out what sort of finish it came with and narrowed it down to either shellac, laquer, or (a war time expedient) nitrocellulose lacquer. I'd like to avoid a full refinish if possible.Image
Mahogany is naturally dark, so it was never stained before finishing. I'd remove the bellows and go over it numerous times w/ a toothbrush with lacquer thinner. Let it dry, sand lightly with 180 grit, dust it off and paste wax it.
That's good advice.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6267
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Its time to work on the taxes...I would rater be working on a fishing rod repair or a lantern repair of well almost anything...but I am starting on taxes
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm

At baseball camp with a grandson today. But when I get home I'll resume working on a whitefront goose, standing mount. (Sorry Goose).

I'm procrastinating on taxes, as usual.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5120
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Building a bunk bed for my two youngest.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22373
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am
Trying to figure out what is going on with the finish on my camera. It's mahogany, built in the mid-50s-early-60s. It's become mottled and developed some thick black deposits. I can remove most of the black but it leaves a tackiness that will attract dirt. I've been trying to find out what sort of finish it came with and narrowed it down to either shellac, laquer, or (a war time expedient) nitrocellulose lacquer. I'd like to avoid a full refinish if possible.Image
Mahogany is naturally dark, so it was never stained before finishing. I'd remove the bellows and go over it numerous times w/ a toothbrush with lacquer thinner. Let it dry, sand lightly with 180 grit, dust it off and paste wax it.
I need a more water repellant finish as I take this thing skiing.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3458
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by DAN » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:35 pm

My first e-book.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

User avatar
Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Winton » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:28 am

This afternoon, I get to work on US & IL 1040s, for me and my wife, my son, and then my daughter.

I would rather be working in my shop, on a new pipe stand.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5265
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Got to get the lead out and replace the flagstones in the side yard walkway where the electricians who installed the Generac Generator ran natural gas and electrical conduit underground. As soon as the area is shaded today, it's my goal to get that done. Got to. Just too many other projects I've been neglecting.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24062
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Skip » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm taking care of a ton of admin items that kept individually falling to the bottom priority list, but have collectively risen to the point that I can't concentrate until they're done.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

plhildy
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by plhildy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 pm

I am trying to finish a muzzle loading rifle project, southern mountain style. I have a small shop (9x12) and as soon as I finish this "last project" the work benches and tools are moving to the garage.

THEN I will convert the building into a smoking lounge/man cave. The wife thinks this is brilliant idea!

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5120
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JMG » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Hoping I can have this bunk bed ready to put together by tomorrow afternoon. We'll see how the painting goes.

Image

Image
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20362
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:13 pm

plhildy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 pm
I am trying to finish a muzzle loading rifle project, southern mountain style.
I am intrigued.


We finished the bathroom remodel today. I just needed to say it out loud.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 15837
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm
Got to get the lead out and replace the flagstones in the side yard walkway where the electricians who installed the Generac Generator ran natural gas and electrical conduit underground. As soon as the area is shaded today, it's my goal to get that done. Got to. Just too many other projects I've been neglecting.
Hope you got it done. Beast of a job, but instant results,
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply