What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:May had some cooler days here and so I was able to grow enough beets for 3 quarts of pickled beets. I love picked beets, especially if made with fresh garlic, pepper corns, a few gloves, rice vinegar and brown sugar. Great compliment to cold sandwiches, and a beer in summer.

Do the gloves give the beets a Latakia-like taste?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I know you meant cloves.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:29 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Goose55 wrote:May had some cooler days here and so I was able to grow enough beets for 3 quarts of pickled beets. I love picked beets, especially if made with fresh garlic, pepper corns, a few gloves, rice vinegar and brown sugar. Great compliment to cold sandwiches, and a beer in summer.

I know you meant cloves.
I like pickled beets. I also like eggs pickled in beet juice.

Dinner is what I'm working on at the moment. Bouef, corn, yellow beans I just picked, along with shishito we just picked yesterday. Not sure it counts as work, but it's what I'm up to now.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:

I know you meant cloves.
Ha! Maybe that is a Freudian slip. I have been missing Nightcap. I hope now I can correct my post
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:17 am

I just finished painting the new base boards for my daughter's new bedroom floor. Painting primed pine baseboards white is challenging!
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:50 pm

An ice cold Coca-Cola from a monstrous plastic Washington Nats stadium cup.

Ain't America Grand!
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:13 pm

I disassembled, reenforced, and refinished the table I built a few months ago. I think it turned out pretty nice.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 am

Installing baseboards on a new laminate floor in my daughter's bedroom. Getting the 45s to fit like they should will be, well, interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:47 am

Hovannes wrote:Installing baseboards on a new laminate floor in my daughter's bedroom. Getting the 45s to fit like they should will be, well, interesting.
Probably because the corner isn't 90 degrees.

As a child, I had a poster in my bedroom of Arte Johnson in his uniform captioned "Very Interesting".
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:10 pm

venator260 wrote:Just started a kitchen/dining room remodel today. It's a 10x20 room with half as a kitchen area and the other a dining area.

I'm going down to the studs. Redoing plumbing and electrical, and adding insulation. The house currently has no insulation in the walls and R-13 batts in the places in the attics that my grandfather could get to. We're keeping the cabinets, but adding new counter tops and a tile floor. We're also getting a new stove and an over the range microwave. On the other side of the wall from the kitchen is the living room. I'm going to put outlets on that wall into the living room as well.

In addition to this, since these systems are not quite part of but connected to the kitchen; during the time that I am ripping, I am going to put a water filter in the water line as soon as it enters the basement and also completely bypass the fuse panel currently wired as a sub-panel and connected to three circuits.

As it stands, I've torn the (not needed) insulation from below the floor and taken down about half of the cabinets. I can't get a roll off box for garbage until perhaps Monday, so I don't want to start tearing out plaster and linoleum until I have somewhere to put it.

Should be a great time.

Just looked at the date on this, I'm surprised I've gotten as far as I have.

I just painted the ceiling today. While waiting for the paint to dry, I ran 3/4 PEX from the well pump, through a filter I just installed, and back into the existing plumbing via two sharkbite 3/4" to 1/2" couplers. My plan is to run 3/4" lines and then reduce to 1/2" to go to the appliance being served. With any luck, this will reduce the number of times I get scalded because my wife forgot and flushed the upstairs toilet. The fuse panel has been completely bypassed; everything int he house is now served directly by the breaker panel.. The 6 gauge wire on a 50 amp breaker that once went to the fuse panel will serve my new stove, since the wire that I replaced in February is about 4 feet too short to reach the new location. I should have just let the extra coiled up in the floor joists. I did not. Through this process, I was also reminded that I hate mudding drywall. I spent days on this, and I still see mistakes.

Tomorrow I paint the walls, and then it's on to flooring, but I need to swap grout and spacers at Home Depot first. The new appliances come Friday. We're re-using the cabinets. The countertops could push this project into August. I still haven't figured out if I need trim, or if there's enough stored here there and everywhere on the property to do the job. Somewhere on this list I'll need to finish the electrical. Several connections still need made at the panel. I also need to put in outlets and switches, but the empty boxes are a breeze to paint around.

I also finished the perc test holes for my septic system that I'll be needing to get in as soon as possible so as to stay in the good graces of the Sewage Enforcement Officer for the township. Subdividing land requires a perc test for an "alternate site", and a quick once over of the existing system to check for violations. What I have now is a violation. So now I get to replace everything. I won't be doing this myself. My dad knows a guy that does that sort of thing and owns a track-hoe.

Busy (and expensive) summer so far.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:01 pm

FredS wrote:Probably because the corner isn't 90 degrees.
They aren't. Nor is the floor perfectly level, but the hardest part was trimming around the registers.
Anyway, I got that done. It's too late and I'm too tired to tack the baseboards down with the nail gun, so It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 am

FredS wrote:
Hovannes wrote:Installing baseboards on a new laminate floor in my daughter's bedroom. Getting the 45s to fit like they should will be, well, interesting.

As a child, I had a poster in my bedroom of Arte Johnson in his uniform captioned "Very Interesting".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsPwY-eoFI
Watch the one on outside corners as well.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 am

coco wrote:
FredS wrote:

Cool! 8) Thank you Coco

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:52 am

Hovannes wrote:
coco wrote:
FredS wrote:

Cool! 8) Thank you Coco
Yeah, coping is the way to go on inside corners. I use a little bit of a different method. I'll straight cut one baseboard and miter the other. Then I'll cope the mitered side. This guy has a good video (you can skip to 2:50):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LukOyO7M_w.
That's sort of the method I use. He's pushing Festool specialty tools. They're pricey. I don't think they're necessary unless you're dealing with complicated profiles. I use a regular jigsaw, coping hand saw, a dremel with a sanding drum, and a sanding block. I tape up the foot on the jigsaw to prevent marring, angle the foot so the straight cut along the main body of the base tapers slightly in from the face of the base to the back (for a tight fit), and make the main straight cut along the "paint line". Once I reach the top, I'll use the coping hand saw to get close to the paint line and finish off with the dremel and a sanding block. Makes for really nice, tight corners that take expansion and contraction well.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:37 am

Designing an ingredient storage and transfer system for making pancakes. On a huge scale (like 900lb batches every few minutes). Seems a famous fast food joint has recently been selling breakfast food all day long. They found that a lot of people like to eat pancakes for meals other breakfast and their demand has increased tremendously. Besides wheat flour and sugar, I was surprised to learn they use yellow corn flour and whey powder in the mix.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm

I've been able to finally spend some time in the wood shop with some of my students recently. Today we finished up this painter's bench made of century old barn wood. It will be sold at our fund raising auction next month:

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:07 pm

The three pipe problem that I'm working on is a presentation for our philosophy majors titled, "Ockham, Kuhn, Keats: The role of Aesthetics in Scientific Theory."

I fear my work on anything physically tangible, other than cleaning up estate pipes, is postponed for a bit.
My talent for procrastinating in order to avoid grading student papers continues to be far above average.

I used to write about fishing. What has become of me?
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:27 am

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm
I've been able to finally spend some time in the wood shop with some of my students recently. Today we finished up this painter's bench made of century old barn wood. It will be sold at our fund raising auction next month:

That sounds like a lot of fun, working in a wood shop, with students. What is a Painter's bench?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 am

I'm building a house.

Trying not to rush.
Also trying to be done before I-D.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun, working in a wood shop, with students. What is a Painter's bench?
It's a lightweight bench for carrying around the job. Basically a long stool. This one, while functional, is primarily for display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Spent a little more time on the boy's ceiling today, just over a third of the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria