What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm
Spent a little more time on the boy's ceiling today, just over a third of the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the boy in an attic, do you?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Installing a high UV block Coolaroo roll down shade on the east side of the Arizona Room. This will also serve the purpose of keeping my cat from climbing the screens to get at birds that sometimes land on the edge of the outside roof.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:17 pm
Installing a high UV block Coolaroo roll down shade on the east side of the Arizona Room. This will also serve the purpose of keeping my cat from climbing the screens to get at birds that sometimes land on the edge of the outside roof.
Will the cat climb the roll down shade?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Spent a little more time on the boy's ceiling today, just over a third of the way there.

Will you after installation stain the wood a semi-solid light color? That seemed to me as a good finishing touch, to make it all be uniform.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:17 pm
Will the cat climb the roll down shade?
Maybe, but that Australian made Coolaroo fabric is pretty tough. Ive had this same shade fabric up for 10 years, in panels, along part of one side of the yard. The colors haven't faded and it still maintains it's elasticity. Great stuff. Highly recommended.

424cat
Congregation
Congregation

Post by 424cat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 pm

My son is selling his house, so I've been doing all those things he should have been doing the last several years. He's not that great with his hands, and that drives him nuts. I'm great with my hands and can fix anything. The good thing is he got his moms mind and is crazy smart. When he talks about work I get that deer in the headlights look. I don't have a clue what he's talking about.
on bended knee

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:53 pm
Gabriel wrote:

Yes sir. I keep all three kids in the attic. The girl one is the only one that seems to stay up there.
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Yes sir. I keep all three kids in the attic. The girl one is the only one that seems to stay up there.
Good place for 'em. My wife nixed the idea round here.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 am
Gabriel wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Stinking with the traditional "under the stairs" approach?
Praying - coco

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 am

Gabriel wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 am

I'd like to transplant the zucchinis and jalapenos today, and maybe start two more tomato plants--- German Queens I'm thinking. We'll see.
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 am
I'd like to transplant the zucchinis and jalapenos today, and maybe start two more tomato plants--- German Queens I'm thinking. We'll see.
Ah. Prussian tomatoes.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 pm

to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Had to have removed a 12 ft high Saguaro Cactus from my front yard, yesterday. It had not yet put out any "arms."

Years ago it had developed a black colored necrosis. I tried to save it by removing a portion of the cactus, but to no avail. Soon, birds were eating there way into it to make nests, and the necrosis had spread throughout the top of it. These things are protected by law, even on private property, but there are exceptions for cases like this.

Here in the pics you can see the 1000-1,500 pound monster, and the black necrosis and cavities. In the close up of one of the sections you can see the circle of ribs that make up the "skeletal" system of the Saguaro. By the time I made the photo of their slicing it up, the diseased top part had already been carted off (see 2nd picture for diseased parts). Aside from the risk of it falling, there were concerns over feral africanized honey bees taking up residence inside the decayed areas, which they love to do.

I will miss the thing. It was right by the front patio where I almost always have my evening happy hour/ pipe.

Three guys working non stop for 1.5 hours and only got charged $90.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Now that's an interesting post Goose. Sorry you lost it, but it's neat to see inside on of those things.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:55 am

Trying to get this Kundo 'Junior' torsion clock, c.1974, to keep good time. I've recently taken to collecting clocks again (first time was about 15 years ago), and this came to me via fleabay all the way from Las Vegas, but the suspension spring was broken, so I had to buy a new unit, also from Aymerrykay, and fit it, which is a horrible, fiddly job, farting around with a tiny screw at one end and a tiny pin at the other. Then I had to adjust the position of the fork, which was also very fiddly. It need repositioning again, slightly higher up. At the moment, it either gains or loses about 10 minutes a day. It should be possible to get it much more accurate than that.

I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:16 am

It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Ambitious undertakings there, for sure. Seems like a very spacious place.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:31 pm

SteveH wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:55 am
Trying to get this Kundo 'Junior' torsion clock, c.1974, to keep good time. I've recently taken to collecting clocks again (first time was about 15 years ago), and this came to me via fleabay all the way from Las Vegas, but the suspension spring was broken, so I had to buy a new unit, also from Aymerrykay, and fit it, which is a horrible, fiddly job, farting around with a tiny screw at one end and a tiny pin at the other. Then I had to adjust the position of the fork, which was also very fiddly. It need repositioning again, slightly higher up. At the moment, it either gains or loses about 10 minutes a day. It should be possible to get it much more accurate than that.

Sweet. Wanna trade it for a pipe?
Praying - coco

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Now have the ball rolling to get started on removing the 15 + year old whole house evaporation cooler that sits atop the house. A new, 15 Seer rated A/C/ Natural Gas unit will be mounted on the back hip of the roof, out of sight from the street. It has a quiet rotary startup, and the 200 amp service I have will be more than enough. Additional insulation will also be blown into the attic. Also replacing the cook stove/ oven, and new solar window screens will be installed.

Last thing will be a solar powered, roof mounted turbine attic fan.

Northerners hibernate in winter. We estivate (summer hibernate) here in Sonoran Desert Summers. This should make for a nice and cool summer hibernation. But, because I will no longer have the evaporative cooler pushing cool air in and out of the ceiling vents, summer piping will be limited, to early mornings and evenings. The small, portable evap cooler in the AZ Room does help, but on a blazing hot day, not much.
Last edited by Goose55 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.