What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Visiting MIL in AZ. New kitchen faucets installed? Check. New striker plate on bedroom door? Check. Dead branches gathered and piled up in the orchard? Check. Mrs FredS and her mom at the red hat lunch/movie? Check. Time to hit that cigar shop I saw on the way back from the hardware store.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:18 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:31 pm
SteveH wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:55 am
Trying to get this Kundo 'Junior' torsion clock, c.1974, to keep good time. I've recently taken to collecting clocks again (first time was about 15 years ago), and this came to me via fleabay all the way from Las Vegas, but the suspension spring was broken, so I had to buy a new unit, also from Aymerrykay, and fit it, which is a horrible, fiddly job, farting around with a tiny screw at one end and a tiny pin at the other. Then I had to adjust the position of the fork, which was also very fiddly. It need repositioning again, slightly higher up. At the moment, it either gains or loses about 10 minutes a day. It should be possible to get it much more accurate than that.

Sweet. Wanna trade it for a pipe?
Nope. Sorry!
要么你给我你的都烟丝,要么我打你。 yaome ni gei wo ni de douyansi, yaome wo da ni.
(Give me your pipe tobacco or I will beat you.)

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm

SteveH wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:18 pm
John-Boy wrote:
SteveH wrote:
Trying to get this Kundo 'Junior' torsion clock, c.1974, to keep good time. I've recently taken to collecting clocks again (first time was about 15 years ago), and this came to me via fleabay all the way from Las Vegas, but the suspension spring was broken, so I had to buy a new unit, also from Aymerrykay, and fit it, which is a horrible, fiddly job, farting around with a tiny screw at one end and a tiny pin at the other. Then I had to adjust the position of the fork, which was also very fiddly. It need repositioning again, slightly higher up. At the moment, it either gains or loses about 10 minutes a day. It should be possible to get it much more accurate than that.

Nope. Sorry!
A pipe and a tin of tobacco?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:51 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm
SteveH wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
SteveH wrote:

Nope. Sorry!
Sorry! If you like it that much, you might be able to find another on fleabay.
Here you are - found one for you. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kundo-400-Day ... Swo4pYdaUX

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Working on fixing the privacy fence around our yard. My new favorite tool is a palm nailer. Takes just about any nail with a head and gets in all sorts of tight places.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:19 pm

SteveH wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:51 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm
SteveH wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
SteveH wrote:

Nope. Sorry!
Sorry! If you like it that much, you might be able to find another on fleabay.
Here you are - found one for you. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kundo-400-Day ... Swo4pYdaUX
Sweet!
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:03 am

SteveH wrote:
Trying to get this Kundo 'Junior' torsion clock, c.1974, to keep good time. I've recently taken to collecting clocks again (first time was about 15 years ago), and this came to me via fleabay all the way from Las Vegas, but the suspension spring was broken, so I had to buy a new unit, also from Aymerrykay, and fit it, which is a horrible, fiddly job, farting around with a tiny screw at one end and a tiny pin at the other. Then I had to adjust the position of the fork, which was also very fiddly. It needs repositioning again, slightly higher up. At the moment, it either gains or loses about 10 minutes a day. It should be possible to get it much more accurate than that.

I moved the fork up a smidgen - fiddly, but not as much of a pain as I feared - and have finally got the bloody thing running and keeping good time.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Flooring for the baby's room. Was ripping out the carpet tonight, to prepare for new carpet, when we discovered the entire upstairs has hardwood flooring.
However it's a bit of a mess as they used a leveling compound at one end of the baby room.
Now I'm not quite sure what I want to do.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Put a coat of clear stain on the north side of the backyard wood drive and walk gates this evening. Wood was very very dry and needed something on it to protect that expensive 1x8 cedar. Had stained it when built a few years ago. It was badly in need of refinishing. I will spray on a coat of 50:50 Linseed oil/ mineral spirits on the south side facing the yard. Maybe in the morning. I sanded that down last Spring, and re-stained it, but it needs some more oil on it, as it takes a hell of a beating in this desert sun.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:43 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:29 pm
Flooring for the baby's room. Was ripping out the carpet tonight, to prepare for new carpet, when we discovered the entire upstairs has hardwood flooring.
However it's a bit of a mess as they used a leveling compound at one end of the baby room.

ImageImage

Don't carpet the baby room. Trust me.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:55 am

hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

ImageImage

Haha well it was going to be just very cheap carpet.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 am

a few more weeds in the yard I have to treat
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:46 am

Piddling little odd jobs around the house. Maintenance-type stuff.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:57 am

And I need to re-paint the masonry privacy wall down the one side of the yard. Yard crew that removed the Saguaro pruned back the Oleander and I'd better get on this before it grows back.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:57 am
And I need to re-paint the masonry privacy wall down the one side of the yard. Yard crew that removed the Saguaro pruned back the Oleander and I'd better get on this before it grows back.
Got myself out the door this morning, and the most difficult part is done. That portion behind the scrubs. Looks great. Tomorrow is clear sailing to finish it up.

No need to clean brush or roller, as I'll be using them again tomorrow morning. Sprinkled some water and covered the bucket and pail with plastic, in the catch all room.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:03 pm

We are having our anniversary party this weekend and I plan on smoking a pork loin and some ribs. So today, I am beta testing a mustard sauce with habeneros for the pork.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by ReverendThom » Sat May 06, 2017 3:49 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

ImageImage

Haha well it was going to be just very cheap carpet.

Decision has been made. ID talked me into it Image

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 pm

Digitizing some 4 x 5 Fuji Velvia transparencies of the City of Phoenix, AZ and surrounding areas

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Spent most of last week attacking a pile of accumulated loose ends in my office at school.
This week, the pile on my home office desk.

A few former student manuscripts to read and write comments for and a struggle regarding a former student who was brilliant but a totally self-centered a$$hole who used me as a reference for grad school at Naropa Institute--formerly Ginsberg and Chongyam Trungpa Rinpoche's school of "disembodied poetics" in Boulder.

If this student were applying anywhere else, I'd tell them to avoid this young man like the plague, but him and Naropa? They deserve each other.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 12:38 pm
. . .If this student were applying anywhere else, I'd tell them to avoid this young man like the plague, but him and Naropa? They deserve each other.
Boulder, CO has to be the biggest freak show in America. Literally. A walk through the Pearl Street Mall reveals the most colorful characters you'll likely ever meet. I love it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe