What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Cleon wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Reglazing and repainting some windows. 8 panes in each window x 8 windows. It's a PITA, but it will look nice when it's done and I'll have preserved some history. Gotta love old houses.
My old house here has 8 pane sash windows, too. The windows are made of steel.

But they aren't visible. They are covered with solar screening that matches the color of the body of the house
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:56 am

While it is cooler today, after some sort of weather system blew through here last evening, and it's shaded,.....

I have to see if I can untangle the mess that is the Tangerine Cross Vine. It never did adhere to the stucco as the nurserymen said it would, and I am hanging some grid so I can tie the vine up with green, soft twist wire. My goal with it is to get the vine to grow up and out to attach to the office and LR new solar block window screens. These are south facing windows and I want to see green.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:19 am

Well, in the pic below, you see the 2 wire mesh panels I primed and painted off white a couple weeks ago, are now secured to the eaves w/ an 8 ft length of 1 x 2 wood, and hung on small rubber coated cup hooks. Then I tied the yet small vine up with some green garden twist ties. I had to cut off about half of it that had gotten damaged in the high winds we had. This was planted in February, so it's been getting a root system established, and we'll see now how it grows. My goal is to have it grow up onto and attached itself to the new screens, so when I look out the two windows, I can see GREEN in this desert place I dwell in. It blooms in spring and fall and attracts hummingbirds and butterflies.

In the pic you see one of the new solar shade window screens that will be on all windows except the 2 in the az rm. I had thought to keep the two window a/c units (one you see on the right)I have used during monsoon season, in case the new central unit fails. But this is unsightly, so I will put up an ad for them on the Olsen's Mkt bulletin board. Those black screens are the old screens that are being replaced. When I got that window a/c unit some years back, I thought it a good idea to shade it.

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:50 pm

I remember posting in this thread about a year ago about my kitchen. School has ended (mostly) once again, and I've already embarked on my summer project.

I wanted some downtime, but I also had to get a new septic/sandmound. Now I have to have my plumbing up to current code; everything has to be routed into the new system, and the pipe to the woods that is currently serving my kitchen and laundry room is not ok either. Part of this includes a cast iron stack from the basement to the 2nd floor bathroom. I can't just cut it off, cast iron piping is supported from the bottom. It needs replaced anyway.

The reason this moved up my summer project: This cast iron stack is behind the wall and the bathroom above what will become our TV room. The plaster ugly looking from an old roof leak, there's no insulation, and the wiring is original. So I'm gutting the room and redoing it. I started ripping today, just to get at the piping and see what I needed to buy at Home Depot.

Here's the basement work so far. The stub to the right will connect to both the upstairs bathroom and the kitchen and laundry room. I cut the overhead pipe, turned it, and put together the clean out, reducer and Y today. The smaller pipe in the background protects the wiring for the pump in the dosing tank for the sandmound. This is the area that I use to store firewood in the winter, I figured that schedule 40 pipe would be better than plastic conduit for protection.

Here's the room just above the previous pic with all of the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom exposed

Here's part of the reason that I am wanting to replace this. Good bit of rust; not sure how much life these pieces have let. Certainly not as much as new PVC.

This makes me nervous, even though it's been this way since the house was build. If you can't see, the builder bored 2 1 inch holes and a 2-2.5 inch hole through a 2x6 floor joist. To make it worse, while drilling the big hole they took a big chunk from the side of the joist. Not sure how much is actually holding the bathroom floor up.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm

I've got installed on my MacBook air now and have just walked through the process of sketching in my book, taking a photo with my phone, sending by Airdrop the photo from phone to MacBook air and then including the photo into the PDF document. I now have a path for writing the book (or the first of a couple guides) including figures or pictures.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm

3D printing isn't an exact science.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am

Been shopping ebay for a used FujiFilm X-E1 digital camera & lens. My 15 year old Canon SureShot point & shoot has all but died.

MS chose a bad time to do a long update yesterday. Just after I ran CCleaner and went to restart. I missed bidding on one with the 35mm lens (w/ charger and 2 batts) by 2 minutes. It sold for $458.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:09 am

After looking for a few days, decided on this used 16.3 megapixel Fujifilm X-E1 digital camera I found on Ebay from a pawn shop in Florida. Has the Fujinon 18-55mm zoom. Includes lens hood, three Fuji Lithion Ion batteries, charger, shoulder strap, memory card, and carrying bag. $378, no tax, and free shipping. When this great camera was introduce in 2012, the system sold for around $1,300. Here is this sweet little compact gem compared to a cumbersome Nikon DSLR. That may be the prime 35mm f1.4 lens on the camera here. . ...

Had to do something as my 15 year old Canon 4 Mp digital SureShot point and shoot is nearly dead.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm
I've got installed on my MacBook air now and have just walked through the process of sketching in my book, taking a photo with my phone, sending by Airdrop the photo from phone to MacBook air and then including the photo into the PDF document. I now have a path for writing the book (or the first of a couple guides) including figures or pictures.
This is challenging. My focus shifted when I considered one of my kids was taking the introductory class for the topic. When I thought back in June it would be a good idea to include introductory content as well I wasn't aware of what I was getting into. Funny that I hadn't though I was that far removed from the beginning concepts. I'm finding myself spread out a lot across the topic as I've produced a good dozen pages. I may start from scratch as I feel I keep getting esoteric about what math one may know. It may become a lot more focused for an introduction and overview-- which could help it come together before my self imposed end of July deadline.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Insured package arrived couple days ago and I had to sign for it at the P.O. The Fujifilm X-E1 16.3 MP camera and lens look like they were seldom used. Brand new looking. I like the black color.

Ebay sale also included a nice padded case for the camera, in a very discrete looking, nondescript plain dark blue shoulder bag. Also have this lens hood, 3 Fuji Litium Ion batteries, charger, lens and sensor caps, and memory card. All for $378, for a camera system that sold when introduced in 2012, for $1,300. :chili:

The CPSer who convinced me of the worthiness of this camera system just sent me a great book that demystifies the Owners Manual. Thank you !!!

Very, very pleased with this purchase

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:30 am

My puppy has a sensitive digestive system. Tried various types of kibble, talked with the vet and decided the best course of action is home made dog food. So far he has responded very well to the stuff I've been making from food on hand. So today I'm working on recipes that will work long term.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 am

Found a very nice "Hand Made" in Denmark Stanwell freehand the other day, with very dense vertical graining that had no bids, and got it for a song.

Also have a few bargain basement eBay pipes headed my way from one seller that I will clean up, make decent images of, and re-list on eBay. Kinda fun and keeps me busy.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am
gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm
This is challenging. My focus shifted when I considered one of my kids was taking the introductory class for the topic. When I thought back in June it would be a good idea to include introductory content as well I wasn't aware of what I was getting into. Funny that I hadn't though I was that far removed from the beginning concepts. I'm finding myself spread out a lot across the topic as I've produced a good dozen pages. I may start from scratch as I feel I keep getting esoteric about what math one may know. It may become a lot more focused for an introduction and overview-- which could help it come together before my self imposed end of July deadline.

G.
July deadline has passed. Last weekend I did a reset and started over. I'm feeling better about it but to get this done before school starts I need to finish it this weekend. I'm writing today and tomorrow. Yeehaw!
Physics and equations here I come.

G
The 6s of 1st John:

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 am

Last weekend (July 26 - 31) was WaunaFest, the annual festival of our village close to Madison. Mrs. Del & I have been volunteering for this party for about 20 years. She is the Treasurer for the organization, and also works with the craft fair and a club that sells hot sandwiches.

During the party, I make sure the various food vendors have enough inventory of soda and water. Main stock is in a reefer truck; the store booths have ice water coolers that must be re-stocked often.

It was an exhausting week. I have a teenager (14) who helps me. He has been working with me since he was 10. He enjoys driving the Polaris Ranger, hauling trash and delivering soda.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4