What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am
gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm
I've got installed on my MacBook air now and have just walked through the process of sketching in my book, taking a photo with my phone, sending by Airdrop the photo from phone to MacBook air and then including the photo into the PDF document. I now have a path for writing the book (or the first of a couple guides) including figures or pictures.
This is challenging. My focus shifted when I considered one of my kids was taking the introductory class for the topic. When I thought back in June it would be a good idea to include introductory content as well I wasn't aware of what I was getting into. Funny that I hadn't though I was that far removed from the beginning concepts. I'm finding myself spread out a lot across the topic as I've produced a good dozen pages. I may start from scratch as I feel I keep getting esoteric about what math one may know. It may become a lot more focused for an introduction and overview-- which could help it come together before my self imposed end of July deadline.

G.
Got this just out the door before I had travel plans. I wasn't very happy with it which just goes to show that I've got a lot to contribute to making a good document/paper/book. I'm giving it a little break before I pick it up again and try to write something I'd be happier with. I think there were some good sections and summary parts. Too short overall and not deep enough coverage.

Writing always has challenges :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Well, according to an email update, the new work station has arrived in Phoenix and will be transferred to a Arizona freight carrier to be delivered here in a couple days. It says "front curb delivery" on a pallet, but I am hoping the driver can place it down and just off my drive, in the front yard. Lots of assembling and I'll have to go slow so as not to stress my bad knee. ....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I spent the morning sorting through wedding photos and my brain cried for relief, so now I'm straightening up the mess I call my "office", taking care of paperwork, getting rid of old student files (the kids who've graduated probably don't need me to keep copies of their unfinished ACT practice tests), ordering mats and bags so I can start printing some large images (13x19) for showing off, getting a couple deposits ready to go, gathering stuff I'll need for tutoring tonight, compiling this list of things I'm doing to convince myself I'm getting things done, et cetera. It's a typical ADD day.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm
Well, according to an email update, the new work station has arrived in Phoenix and will be transferred to a Arizona freight carrier to be delivered here in a couple days. It says "front curb delivery" on a pallet, but I am hoping the driver can place it down and just off my drive, in the front yard. Lots of assembling and I'll have to go slow so as not to stress my bad knee. ....

That is going to be a very nice work station.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:22 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm

That is going to be a very nice work station.
Costco.com. $789 and free shipping. Manufactured in Canada.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Will be having to take 5 consecutive trips to Phoenix, soon, for another round of weekly Supartz injections for my knees. The right one is the worst, but they do both, which helps stave off the need for knee replacement surgery.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

I was chagrined to see today that one week after I ordered the new PC & monitor from Costco.com that they began a promotional discount of $400 on it. But glad to read that their Price Match policy is to refund the discount if the purchase was made online, and within 30 days, which in both cases is true.

So, I have emailed them about this and look to receive a $400 credit back to my Costco MasterCard.

They don't go out of their way to let you know about this policy, or that they are running the promotional discount. You have to find out about both of them on your own,... which appears a little devious to me. :?:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am
I was chagrined to see today that one week after I ordered the new PC & monitor from Costco.com that they began a promotional discount of $400 on it. But glad to read that their Price Match policy is to refund the discount if the purchase was made online, and within 30 days, which in both cases is true.

So, I have emailed them about this and look to receive a $400 credit back to my Costco MasterCard.

They don't go out of their way to let you know about this policy, or that they are running the promotional discount. You have to find out about both of them on your own,... which appears a little devious to me. :?:
I needed a laugh today. Good job getting the difference back
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jared
I await final judgement [sic]
I await final judgement [sic]

Post by Jared » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:28 pm

As always looking/working on stuff to cook. Trying right now to figure out how to do mussels in a tomato broth. Almost like a bouilabaise. Made a vanilla bean panna cotta with balsamic macerated strawberries last week.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. George Washinton Carver

In Vino Vertias, in Cervesio Felicitas

2014, 2015 & 2016 Winner Most Likely Not To Win An Award

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:20 pm
Goose55 wrote:

As much as I grumble about how Walmart twists the arms of it's suppliers, and about Walmart shoppers in pajamas, we still shop there sometimes. Mrs FredS has a Savings Catcher app that she uses to scan Walmart receipts and the app checks for like items advertised for less in our area and then refunds the difference if any savings are to be found. She said she has about $75 in store credits in the kitty.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Haven’t been around here much recently as we’re in the middle of a move 100 miles north to be closer to ours son and his family (after 44 yrs in the same house) and have been making 3 round-trips per week. The movers come for the furniture a week from today. Got a load of stuff ready to go for tomorrow and then on Friday will be borrowing a friends truck to haul the ham radio antennas, and the trailer with the riding mower. Our pastor and my brother elders gave me a nice, unexpected farewell at church on Sunday. Some of them will be a bit surprised when they learn we’re starting RCIA classes soon, but it’s a change we’ve been talking about making for a couple of years. It would have been very difficult to do here, but the physical move makes it much easier.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm

CW Spook wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm
Haven’t been around here much recently as we’re in the middle of a move 100 miles north to be closer to ours son and his family (after 44 yrs in the same house) and have been making 3 round-trips per week. The movers come for the furniture a week from today. Got a load of stuff ready to go for tomorrow and then on Friday will be borrowing a friends truck to haul the ham radio antennas, and the trailer with the riding mower. Our pastor and my brother elders gave me a nice, unexpected farewell at church on Sunday. Some of them will be a bit surprised when they learn we’re starting RCIA classes soon, but it’s a change we’ve been talking about making for a couple of years. It would have been very difficult to do here, but the physical move makes it much easier.
Travel well and be safe.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:37 pm

CW Spook wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm
Wowsa!

Mrs FredS and I are also moving. I can't believe how much stuff we've stashed away over 24 years in a large house. We've talked about downsizing but are finding it very difficult in practice. I can't imagine the process after 44 years in the same spot. I'll pray for Gods blessing of your life reboot.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

They credited the $400 back to my Costco MasterCard today, but I'll tell ya, they didn't make it easy for me. Front line customer service representatives don't always know what they are doing, and who knows, maybe they're not supposed to.

Somehow, the matter wound up at Costco's headquarters and an escalated email prompted a call from a very gracious and very apologetic manager.

So, these are some of the things I've worked on today.

But here now, it's nearly time for happy hour, and a much deserved big bowl full of good McClelland VaPer. In my favorite pipe, which stummel I have to fetch off the front yard, where its been "resting" all day in the sweet Arizona sun, & wind. :signofcross:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

They credited the $400 back to my Costco MasterCard today, but I'll tell ya, they didn't make it easy for me. Front line customer service representatives don't always know what they are doing, and who knows, maybe they're not supposed to.

Somehow, the matter wound up at Costco's headquarters and an escalated email prompted a call from a very gracious and very apologetic manager.

But here now, it's nearly time for happy hour, and a much deserved big bowl full of good McClelland VaPer. In my favorite pipe, which stummel I have to fetch off the front yard, where its been "resting" all day in the sweet Arizona sun, & wind. :signofcross:
Glad they took care of it. I have a rather high opinion of Costco and I'd hate to see that lowered.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Glad they took care of it. I have a rather high opinion of Costco and I'd hate to see that lowered.
Costco ran me off over just such an issue. Rudest retail people I've ever dealt with. Grade A++ a-holes.

There, I said it.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Costco ran me off over just such an issue. Rudest retail people I've ever dealt with. Grade A++ a-holes.

There, I said it.
Huh. That's saying something, right there. A lot, actually. You seem sane and level headed.

Ours couldn't be nicer. Everyone I've ever dealt with has been a gem. While we don't tend to buy big ticket items there, I've bought everything from specs to salmon and never had a problem. There service is better than most grocery stores. They even replaced a bad bit of fish I got once, no questions asked.

I'm a little shocked and definitely saddened you two had that experience. Perhaps my experience is the outlier.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm
I'm a little shocked and definitely saddened you two had that experience. Perhaps my experience is the outlier.
Perhaps you're a nice guy.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Perhaps, but ain't nobody nicer than Jim.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Perhaps, but ain't nobody nicer than Jim.
Give it time.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS