Canada in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24694
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Canada in the News

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:09 pm
:rotfl:

This is the most "Canadian" news story I have ever read.
Not quite. It's not bad but there are other "more Canadian" examples. Driving a Zamboni on the road happens but it also happens in Russia. So a more Canadian setting gets more points. Would you like to see another better example?

Alberta guy in Zamboni, pulls into drive thru line at Horton's.
Image

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3908294
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Image
Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Canada in the News

Post by durangopipe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:09 pm
:rotfl:

This is the most "Canadian" news story I have ever read.
Not quite. It's not bad but there are other "more Canadian" examples. Driving a Zamboni on the road happens but it also happens in Russia. So a more Canadian setting gets more points. Would you like to see another better example?

Alberta guy in Zamboni, pulls into drive thru line at Horton's.
Image

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3908294
You win.
That's even more Canadian!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2372
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24694
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Canada in the News

Post by Rusty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm
Stuart McLean passed away :( http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/entertainme ... -1.3984826
I saw that. A lot of Morningside memories. I was a Morningside addict like so many others. What was morning without Peter Gzowski? That was bracketed with CBC's The World at Six. Of course the world is a lot older now. I named my daughter after the host of The World at Six. My wife was so shocked that I didn't suggest Fortran as a name that she just went with it. I had suggested Fortran as the name for every dog and our son. Alas, it remains unused.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Image
Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35217
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by Del » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm
Stuart McLean passed away :( http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/entertainme ... -1.3984826
I saw that. A lot of Morningside memories. I was a Morningside addict like so many others. What was morning without Peter Gzowski? That was bracketed with CBC's The World at Six. Of course the world is a lot older now. I named my daughter after the host of The World at Six. My wife was so shocked that I didn't suggest Fortran as a name that she just went with it. I had suggested Fortran as the name for every dog and our son. Alas, it remains unused.
What a waste of a really great name.

From now on, we should call you Fortran.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?
Posts: 17540
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by wosbald » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 am

+JMJ+

Trump should listen to his instincts and stay out of the Middle East: Neil Macdonald
Image
The dismal fact is that America has a deadly, incompetent, destructive track record in the Middle East. (Alex Brandon/Associated Press)

… As Columbia University professor Jeffrey Sachs argued recently:

"It's time to end US military engagements in the Middle East. Drones, special operations, CIA arms supplies, military advisers, aerial bombings — the whole nine yards. Over and done with."

"The Turks, Arabs, and Persians have lived together as organized states for around 2,500 years. The United States has meddled unsuccessfully in the region for 65 years. It's time to let the locals sort out their problems."

Yes, people would die if the U.S. departed. But people will die if the U.S. remains, arguably even more people. The fact is, the locals will sort themselves out anyway.

It would, of course, be hard for America to let go of its belief in manifest destiny and Wilsonian principles. And harder still to abandon the idea that God wants America to act.

Just a week or so ago, U.S. ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley declared in a speech that "The United States is the moral conscience of the world."

To anyone who's studied Middle Eastern history, that statement is almost funny. But to the Sunnis of Iraq, the Shia of Bahrain, the Houthis of Yemen, the Palestinians, the Shia of South Lebanon, ordinary Iranians, or all those Egyptians who wanted democracy, it must be beyond frightening.




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2372
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Canada in the News

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:55 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

Trump should listen to his instincts and stay out of the Middle East: Neil Macdonald
Image
The dismal fact is that America has a deadly, incompetent, destructive track record in the Middle East. (Alex Brandon/Associated Press)

… As Columbia University professor Jeffrey Sachs argued recently:

"It's time to end US military engagements in the Middle East. Drones, special operations, CIA arms supplies, military advisers, aerial bombings — the whole nine yards. Over and done with."

"The Turks, Arabs, and Persians have lived together as organized states for around 2,500 years. The United States has meddled unsuccessfully in the region for 65 years. It's time to let the locals sort out their problems."

Yes, people would die if the U.S. departed. But people will die if the U.S. remains, arguably even more people. The fact is, the locals will sort themselves out anyway.

It would, of course, be hard for America to let go of its belief in manifest destiny and Wilsonian principles. And harder still to abandon the idea that God wants America to act.

Just a week or so ago, U.S. ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley declared in a speech that "The United States is the moral conscience of the world."

To anyone who's studied Middle Eastern history, that statement is almost funny. But to the Sunnis of Iraq, the Shia of Bahrain, the Houthis of Yemen, the Palestinians, the Shia of South Lebanon, ordinary Iranians, or all those Egyptians who wanted democracy, it must be beyond frightening.
Fun fact: Neil is Norm's brother. And Germans love David Hasselhoff.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 13530
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by hugodrax » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 am
+JMJ+

Trump should listen to his instincts and stay out of the Middle East: Neil Macdonald
Image
The dismal fact is that America has a deadly, incompetent, destructive track record in the Middle East. (Alex Brandon/Associated Press)

… As Columbia University professor Jeffrey Sachs argued recently:

"It's time to end US military engagements in the Middle East. Drones, special operations, CIA arms supplies, military advisers, aerial bombings — the whole nine yards. Over and done with."

"The Turks, Arabs, and Persians have lived together as organized states for around 2,500 years. The United States has meddled unsuccessfully in the region for 65 years. It's time to let the locals sort out their problems."

Yes, people would die if the U.S. departed. But people will die if the U.S. remains, arguably even more people. The fact is, the locals will sort themselves out anyway.

It would, of course, be hard for America to let go of its belief in manifest destiny and Wilsonian principles. And harder still to abandon the idea that God wants America to act.

Just a week or so ago, U.S. ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley declared in a speech that "The United States is the moral conscience of the world."

To anyone who's studied Middle Eastern history, that statement is almost funny. But to the Sunnis of Iraq, the Shia of Bahrain, the Houthis of Yemen, the Palestinians, the Shia of South Lebanon, ordinary Iranians, or all those Egyptians who wanted democracy, it must be beyond frightening.
Huh. I always thought Onyx was the moral conscience of the world.*



*joking, Onyx. Playing. Oh, to heck with that.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18915
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: Canada in the News

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Went to a flea market today. Saw a t shirt that read "Yuma, AZ, Canada's Southernmost City."

In other news, my MIL shared some horror stories about Canucks needing medical treatment when they're down here for the winter. It aint good for those poor snowbirds who dare get sick while in the US.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2372
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by ReverendThom » Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 am

Us horrible neighbours (Canadians) were at it again last night.

Mics failed at the Oilers/Ducks game for the American national anthem so, without any lyrics, the entire sold-out arena sang the anthem.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/oil ... -1.4092866

We learn the anthem while exporting softwood lumber, and refusing your abundance of dairy products.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?
Posts: 17540
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by wosbald » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:16 am

+JMJ+

Canadian bishops: Abortion should not be ‘core’ of foreign policy
Image
Bishop Douglas Crosby of Hamilton, Ontario, is seen at the Vatican April 25. (Credit: Paul HaringCNS.)

OTTAWA, Ontario - The Canadian bishops’ conference has denounced a speech by the nation’s foreign minister as “erroneous, confusing and misguided” for suggesting that sexual reproductive rights have become a cornerstone of the nation’s foreign policy.

In a June 29 letter to Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, Bishop Douglas Crosby of Hamilton, president of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, expressed “profound concern” over a speech Freeland gave to the House of Commons June 6.

He criticized Freeland for equating women’s rights with a right to abortion and sexual reproductive rights and claiming these rights “are at the core of Canadian foreign policy.”

The bishops also criticized Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for committing $650 million to support abortion funding overseas when only $119.25 million was pledged to help 20 million who risk starvation in South Sudan, Yemen, eastern Nigeria and Somalia.

Crosby’s letter vehemently disagreed that abortion is “at the core” of Canada’s foreign policy, which has focused on “international peace, just order, free trade, foreign aid and global stability.

“While the Catholic bishops of Canada share your concern for advancing the respect and dignity of women - an issue to which the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops and Catholics give great importance - we feel the need to point out, with all due respect, that your statement above is erroneous, confusing and misguided.” …




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2256
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Canada in the News

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Canada, we would really appreciate it if you could keep your second-hand smoke to yourselves...

Canadian wildfire smoke begins to cross the border
PNW Smoke Cooperators report a change in wind direction is bringing smoke from wildifires burning in BC’s interior region down over western Washington.

Image
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Del and 3 guests