Canada in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Canada in the News

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
8 minutes from my house. I still haven't been, but hope to soon.
You're fortunate to be so close.We'd love to visit the museum one day.

Many years ago, my wife and I spent a few days at Tsa Kwa Luten lodge located on the Cape Mudge Reserve on the southern tip of Quadra Island. We were visiting Vancouver Island on a fishing trip. One of the Potlach Collection museums of repatriated indigenous peoples' artifacts is there.

We were befriended by a couple from Victoria, the husband a computer company owner and his wife a Native American of Wi Wai Kai,Cape Mudge, Heritage. He was an avid salmon fisherman and we hit it off.

The museum is amazing, and the setting is spectacular.

I know no nation is perfect, but my wife and I are very fond of Canada, and Canadians have been very gracious and kind to us. Most of our vacation trips, for years, were to B.C.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:57 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:19 pm

On my way to Canadian ebay right now.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 am

+JMJ+

Canadian bishops pitch in to raise funds for Holy Sepulchre restoration

Canada’s Catholic bishops have joined forces with the Greek Orthodox and Armenian Orthodox bishops in Canada to raise money for restoration of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

The holiest shrine in Christianity, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is widely believed to be the place where Christ’s tomb is located. It is occupied and operated primarily by Catholic, Greek Orthodox and Armenian clergy with some participation by the Orthodox Copts, Syrians and Ethiopians.

Claims and counterclaims on the church have been contentious over the centuries. A balance was codified by a Sultan’s decree of 1853, known as the status quo. Today that same law is enforced by Israeli authorities.

Co-operation between the churches to restore the crumbling structure of the Aedicule, an 1810 structure built around the tomb of Christ, marks a new spirit of practical, ecumenism.

In March the Latin Custody of the Holy Land, operated by the Franciscans, announced work would begin on the church after Orthodox Easter in April. While the site remains open to pilgrims, work will continue into 2017 with financial support from the Vatican, the Greek government and Jordan’s King Abdullah II.

The three Canadian churches have jointly established the Holy Sepulchre Restoration Fund 2016. Catholics can contribute by sending cheques to the fund at the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2500 Don Reid Dr., Ottawa, Ont. K1H 2J2. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:40 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:58 pm

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:42 am

Canada resorts to cruel and unusual punishment to deter drunk driving
“When we catch you, and we will catch you, on top of a hefty fine, a criminal charge and a year’s driving suspension we will also provide you with a bonus gift of playing the office’s copy of Nickelback in the cruiser on the way to jail,” reads the post, alongside a photo of Nickelback’s 2001 album Silver Side Up.

“So please, let’s not ruin a perfectly good unopened copy of Nickelback. You don’t drink and drive and we won’t make you listen to it.”
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:55 am

CodeMonkey wrote:Fart in Parliament
The 'fart' in question has a name: Justin T.

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:42 am
Canada resorts to cruel and unusual punishment to deter drunk driving
“When we catch you, and we will catch you, on top of a hefty fine, a criminal charge and a year’s driving suspension we will also provide you with a bonus gift of playing the office’s copy of Nickelback in the cruiser on the way to jail,” reads the post, alongside a photo of Nickelback’s 2001 album Silver Side Up.

“So please, let’s not ruin a perfectly good unopened copy of Nickelback. You don’t drink and drive and we won’t make you listen to it.”
Lol!

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 pm

One excellent reason not to ride the Greyhound Bus in Canada
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/02/11 ... eedom.html
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 pm
He said he wouldn't do it again and he would stay on his medication. What else do you want?
The bus is a coincidental location. So it isn't about buses. It's where he was when God told him to kill the man. Surely you can't be objecting to complying with God's requests? Maybe you should explain.

You're much safer with an atheist than a christian. Frankly, I think atheism is quite helpful in these cases. If atheists get a request from God.... "No. And I don't believe in you .... La la la la.... I can't hear you." See?
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 am

Refugees cross to Canada to escape Donald Trump

You don't see Canada threatening to build a wall.
I suspect that escaping DT is only a part of the motivation. Some of them are probably just trying to listen to RevThom on the radio and perhaps meet for a social evening and a slushy.

These folks have no idea how to dress to walk to Canada in the winter. RevThom? You need to be talking on the radio about how to dress to walk to Canada in the winter. It's a wonder that they don't freeze to death. Perhaps some enterprising soul could put in a Beavertail & Hot Chocolate stand somewhere on the way? "Welcome to Canada! No, no.... don't run away. Have a Beavertail and a Hot Chocolate."
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:05 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 am
Hovannes wrote:
He said he wouldn't do it again and he would stay on his medication. What else do you want?
The bus is a coincidental location. So it isn't about buses. It's where he was when God told him to kill the man. Surely you can't be objecting to complying with God's requests? Maybe you should explain.

You're much safer with an atheist than a christian. Frankly, I think atheism is quite helpful in these cases. If atheists get a request from God.... "No. And I don't believe in you .... La la la la.... I can't hear you." See?
So Canadian cannibals are more sincere than Canadian Christians? An intriguing notion. A real comfort to the boy's mother, I'm sure.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 am

I suspect that escaping DT is only a part of the motivation. Some of them are probably just trying to listen to RevThom on the radio and perhaps meet for a social evening and a slushy.

These folks have no idea how to dress to walk to Canada in the winter. RevThom? You need to be talking on the radio about how to dress to walk to Canada in the winter. It's a wonder that they don't freeze to death. Perhaps some enterprising soul could put in a Beavertail & Hot Chocolate stand somewhere on the way? "Welcome to Canada! Have a Beavertail and a Hot Chocolate."
If the US Dept of Justice armed Canadian narcotics gangs with fully automatic machine guns, Canada might build a wall. Igloo style. Less costly, environmentally sound, and will be good for ten months out of the year.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:05 am
Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 am
Hovannes wrote:

So Canadian cannibals are more sincere than Canadian Christians? An intriguing notion. A real comfort to the boy's mother, I'm sure.
Christian cannibals. Hmmm..This is sort of redundant, eh? It's sufficient just to say Christian.
Also he has a mental illness... other than his Christian faith.
What would you advocate?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am
Rusty wrote:

These folks have no idea how to dress to walk to Canada in the winter. RevThom? You need to be talking on the radio about how to dress to walk to Canada in the winter. It's a wonder that they don't freeze to death. Perhaps some enterprising soul could put in a Beavertail & Hot Chocolate stand somewhere on the way? "Welcome to Canada! Have a Beavertail and a Hot Chocolate."
If the US Dept of Justice armed Canadian narcotics gangs with fully automatic machine guns, Canada might build a wall. Igloo style. Less costly, environmentally sound, and will be good for ten months out of the year.
Wut? You need to explain. This one sailed over my head.
These are Somalis in this case, refugees from those seven Muslim countries, that emigrated from all of that. They don't even have appropriate winter clothing for Manitoba. What are you thinking?

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am
Rusty wrote:

Wut? You need to explain. This one sailed over my head.
These are Somalis in this case, refugees from those seven Muslim countries, that emigrated from all of that. They don't even have appropriate winter clothing for Manitoba. What are you thinking?
Black Hawk down? Try to feed them, they kill you. Like Achmed, only not so funny.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:09 pm

:rotfl:

This is the most "Canadian" news story I have ever read.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 am
What would you advocate?
A buffet featuring Canadian Bacon?
Perhaps a stay at an institution that would make sure he takes his meds?
At the very least, a membership to Jenny Craig?