Myers-Briggs: What's your type?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Myers-Briggs: What's your type?

Post by Jocose » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 pm

John-Boy wrote:
CW Spook wrote:
Bibster wrote:ISTJ. I used to work for the National Security Agency and they administered the test to the entire work force back in the 80s. Turned out that something like 90 percent of the agency's managers were ISTJs. Extroverts were a distinct minority in the Agency.
That's an amazing factoid. I, too, used to work for the Agency during my Navy days, and I'm also an ISTJ. 8)
You know how to tell an introvert from an extrovert at NSA?

The extroverts walk down the hall and look at YOUR shoes.
Was this before or after the popularity of Crocs?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Myers-Briggs: What's your type?

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Al_S_ wrote:INTJ

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:44 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:58 pm

"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 pm

JimVH wrote:Image
Ah man, I don't think Obamacare covers that.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:55 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 am

StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:01 am
Test consistently as an ISTJ: 'Inspector Type' on the Myers-Briggs personality sorter (whatever that is worth).

Well, there you have it.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 am

Skip wrote:
Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 pm
So, we woke this beast again?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 am

Skip wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 am
Skip wrote:
Yea, the first thing I do is awaken a Kraken/Leviathan in the forums. Awesome.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 am
Skip wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 am
Skip wrote:
Yea, the first thing I do is awaken a Kraken/Leviathan in the forums. Awesome.
Can't leave an ISTJ alone for a minute...
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 pm

3 -1/2 hp here. Oh wait, I thought you were talking Briggs-Stratton :oops:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 pm

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 pm

I don't intend to get into a debate about it, but this article, like many that criticize MBTI, is based largely on common misunderstandings of what the test is supposed to show and how it is supposed to be used.

When you're dealing with issued of psychology, it's not as simple as 'you took the test and scored thus, therefore, this is your type (and therefore how you act and how you should live your life).' The results of the test can be influenced significantly by your experiences, career, peer expectations, etc. For example, a naturally introverted person who is in a sales career with a motivational speaker for a boss may not initially test as an introvert. They've had to learn to live as an extrovert in order to function in their world, but that doesn't change that they're actually an introvert. (This is also why some people think that their type changes during the course of their lives. They're either picking up new experiences and expectations, and therefore further obscuring their actual type, or they are growing beyond those experiences and expectations and getting rid of some of the clutter that's been obscuring their actual type.)

So, when done properly, the 'test' is just the first step in a long process of determining your type. A person who is experienced in typing eventually will be able to work through the clutter to find the actual type.

And, whatever type you end up with, it just leads you to your natural inclinations and preferences. It's not a script that you have to follow to the letter. Plus there is some variation within the types for various reasons that can make two people of the same type appear significantly different in the way they express their type.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 pm
... When you're dealing with issued of psychology, it's not as simple as 'you took the test and scored thus, therefore, this is your type (and therefore how you act and how you should live your life).' The results of the test can be influenced significantly by your experiences, career, peer expectations, etc ... So, when done properly, the 'test' is just the first step in a long process of determining your type ... It's not a script that you have to follow to the letter. Plus there is some variation within the types for various reasons that can make two people of the same type appear significantly different in the way they express their type.
Sir Moose, I agree with the basics above. Personality is a very dynamic thing. Since, this Kraken has awoken again and re-dug the rabbit hole, I'll use my shovel and help. From the linked article above: "Many people are skeptical of the results of these tests. Some people are
concerned that the tests measure only "book learning" and do not test "common sense." <- This is a major factor and would be hard to control/figure out.

As part of my my line of work I went through a 40/50 hour interview and interrogation course. The gentleman (PhD in Human Behavior and former homicide investigator), who instructed the course started day one with the idea/concept that an individual's personality has an internal and external. i.e. what is shown to the external world and what is known by the individual and those close. (This can significantly effect the outcome of an interview/interrogation) He had us take the classic Myers-Briggs and the DISC assessments. After taking both he showed the contrast between the two. Interesting was the for some in the training the MBTI highlighted the internal and for others the external.

For basic DISC stuff see: https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/

The DISC results indicated that I prefer to show the world the Compliance/Conscientiousness quadrant: "emphasis on working conscientiously within existing circumstances to ensure quality and accuracy" with little to no emphasis on the other quadrants. Next closest was the Dominance, but still very low. The internal showed that I slightly reduce my Compliance quadrant and dramatically increase my the dominance quadrant, with slight increases to the others (not gonna waste my typing talking about those, they are too touchy/feely for me.)

This interviewer/interrogator explained that when pressure is added to an individual their internal will start to take over the external. This can happen to both the interviewee and the interviewer. If one knows what to look for this is dynamic shift, it can be exploited for both good and ill intent. The interview and interrogation part is a whole different topic.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:55 pm
Mine is as Captain Piccard, I've taken the test several times. Sometimes it came out more INTJ, than INFJ
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 am
UncleBob wrote:
Mine is as Captain Piccard, I've taken the test several times. Sometimes it came out more INTJ, than INFJ
Ajo: the final frontier. These are the musings of a space cadet and his cat, Lucy. His perpetual mission: to misunderstand the world around him, to seek out new strife and destroy the forums of pipe smoking Christians, to bravely derp where no man has derped before.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

SockPuppeh
brudr uv du bryr

Post by SockPuppeh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 pm
Goose55 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Ajo: the final frontier. These are the musings of a space cadet and his cat, Lucy. His perpetual mission: to misunderstand the world around him, to seek out new strife and destroy the forums of pipe smoking Christians, to bravely derp where no man has derped before.
INFJs ar derps?
ai fink derr4 ai whiddle

"May I ask if you are aware of the fact that you are attempting to act morally superior towards a digital manifestation of a dog made from a sock?" - A_Morley

sokpuppt uv du yer 2015 2016 2017 !!!

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 pm
... When you're dealing with issued of psychology, it's not as simple as 'you took the test and scored thus, therefore, this is your type (and therefore how you act and how you should live your life).' The results of the test can be influenced significantly by your experiences, career, peer expectations, etc ... So, when done properly, the 'test' is just the first step in a long process of determining your type ... It's not a script that you have to follow to the letter. Plus there is some variation within the types for various reasons that can make two people of the same type appear significantly different in the way they express their type.
Sir Moose, I agree with the basics above. Personality is a very dynamic thing. Since, this Kraken has awoken again and re-dug the rabbit hole, I'll use my shovel and help. From the linked article above: "Many people are skeptical of the results of these tests. Some people are
concerned that the tests measure only "book learning" and do not test "common sense." <- This is a major factor and would be hard to control/figure out.

As part of my my line of work I went through a 40/50 hour interview and interrogation course. The gentleman (PhD in Human Behavior and former homicide investigator), who instructed the course started day one with the idea/concept that an individual's personality has an internal and external. i.e. what is shown to the external world and what is known by the individual and those close. (This can significantly effect the outcome of an interview/interrogation) He had us take the classic Myers-Briggs and the DISC assessments. After taking both he showed the contrast between the two. Interesting was the for some in the training the MBTI highlighted the internal and for others the external.

For basic DISC stuff see: https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/

The DISC results indicated that I prefer to show the world the Compliance/Conscientiousness quadrant: "emphasis on working conscientiously within existing circumstances to ensure quality and accuracy" with little to no emphasis on the other quadrants. Next closest was the Dominance, but still very low. The internal showed that I slightly reduce my Compliance quadrant and dramatically increase my the dominance quadrant, with slight increases to the others (not gonna waste my typing talking about those, they are too touchy/feely for me.)

This interviewer/interrogator explained that when pressure is added to an individual their internal will start to take over the external. This can happen to both the interviewee and the interviewer. If one knows what to look for this is dynamic shift, it can be exploited for both good and ill intent. The interview and interrogation part is a whole different topic.

That is wild. When I had extreme stress I did notice my personality flipped. I was introverted. I hyper analyzed (ok-- that didn't flip) but had to be very organized to get anything done (J) vs. my usual fly by seat of my pants P personality. It took a while and as I came out of the stress and intensity I began to feel like myself again. It was really unusual to see the inversion of personality due to stress.

(ENTP here).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:58 pm

SockPuppeh wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
INFJs ar derps?
No. Goose is not Captain Picard. He'd crash the ship, start an intergalactic war, and end up being shot for insubordination after arguing that the Prime Directive was an employment term, and as the captain of the ship, he doesn't work for any admirals. He might be a good red shirt, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Finally. You got it right about me. Thank God.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis