Cue The Murray Gold Music: Doctor Who

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Cue The Murray Gold Music: Doctor Who

Post by nosferatu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Just curious who here is a Whovian? :pipe:
"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us."
-Anne Lamott

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm a fan. I love how the show has spanned decades and remained vibrant using the same mythology this whole time.

I especially enjoy Tom Baker and David Tenant.

My favorite companion will always be Sarah Jane Smith. I love how she has sustained as a recurring character for so many decades, too.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

:wavey:

friar_jay
Usher
Usher

Post by friar_jay » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Doctor Who... my number one all time favorite television show.

Grew up watching the good Doctor on MPT (Maryland Public Television) after my Dad introduced it to me and continue to love it. I would record the episodes every Saturday night...I actually only recently tossed all those old VHS recordings as I've bought them on DVD.

Favorite Doctors... 2, 4, 11
Grace and Peace to You,
Jason

Facebook | Twitter
Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge - Tabletop Gaming

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Donna's my favorite companion, but in so many ways I think 9 is my favorite Doctor. Still, I do love 10, 11, 1, 2, and 4. I've only seen one serial with 3, 6, and 7, so I can't speak to them too well.

But... the only thing about the next companion that has been confirmed is that she is not human. Do you all think it will be Oswin, or will the actress be playing someone else who just looks like Oswin?
"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us."
-Anne Lamott

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Brigid wrote::wavey:

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:56 pm

I recently started watching Dr. Who. Cranked through Doctor 9 and now on 10. I have no favorites.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: Cue The Murray Gold Music: Doctor Who

Post by infidel » Mon May 01, 2017 2:18 pm

Anyone else watching the new season? Anything you'd like to discuss?

So far I like the new companion. I like how someone new to the TARDIS can prompt some new insights, like "you don't really steer it, you negotiate with it". We always kind of knew that but to have it phrased that way feels kind of like your relationship with it has deepened. It used to be sort of a faulty machine, then it was a little more "godlike" in how it put the Doctor where he was "needed," and now it lands you "somewhere in between where you want to go and where you're supposed to be".

I warmed up to 12 in his second season, but knowing this is his and Moffet's last season kind of casts a shadow over everything. I want to be surprised by the next regeneration, but I worry that they'll go off the deep end somehow. My kids used to be huge fans but their enthusiasm kind of left when number 11 did. Here's to hoping for a good 13.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Latest episode is epic! One of the best of Moffat's tenure. Please tell me someone else saw it :joy:

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm behind on this season. I like 12, for some odd reason my dream scenario would be Sean Pertwee becoming 13 (or some future regenration). Maybe I like the symmetry of his dad being #3.

I almost gave up watching 11for me it was as bad 6 (Colin Baker who did cause me to stop watching).
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:53 pm
Latest episode is epic! One of the best of Moffat's tenure. Please tell me someone else saw it :joy:
With the black hole?

The physics is off but the story line is good so far.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:03 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm
infidel wrote:
With the black hole?

Yes with the black hole! Of course the physics are off. Geez, man, that's the best comment you got? :-P

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:37 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:03 pm
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
With the black hole?

Yes with the black hole! Of course the physics are off. Geez, man, that's the best comment you got? :-P
I love when they arc the story back to classic episodes in a way that makes the old stuff feel less dated, especially when the special effects and costumes are so... dated.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm

infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
With the black hole?

The problem from the physics side was too distracting-- and I had the same issue watching Interstellar recently. It's fun to make a story line of being near a black hole but the physics-- the gravitation-- would rip your body apart and not leave you having time to assess the time dilation phenomena.

From a plot side-- it's gotten interesting and the writers have been pulling back some of the very old episodes to link it. I've not been much of a fan of Bill so we shall see. The writers have fun as they grow and mature with the dialogue from and to the Doctor.

I look forward to the next installment. There was a very heavy Babylon 5 Zathras characterization there-- which made sense as that was a Babylon 5 time shifting sequence.

The relationship between the Doctor and the Master has eluded me some. I look forward to seeing further development and the tensions.

G.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:39 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:37 pm
infidel wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
infidel wrote:
With the black hole?

I love when they arc the story back to classic episodes in a way that makes the old stuff feel less dated, especially when the special effects and costumes are so... dated.
The tear at the end had a high impact. Well done drama at that point.
The 6s of 1st John:

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:48 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm
The problem from the physics side was too distracting-- and I had the same issue watching Interstellar recently. It's fun to make a story line of being near a black hole but the physics-- the gravitation-- would rip your body apart and not leave you having time to assess the time dilation phenomena.
Nevermind the artificial gravity of the ship proportionately counteracting the black hole gravitation by floor in spite of the time dilation :-P Just go with it :D

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:48 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm
Nevermind the artificial gravity of the ship proportionately counteracting the black hole gravitation by floor in spite of the time dilation :-P Just go with it :D
I'm trying :)

The 6s of 1st John:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm

This last episode was the first one of this season that has me really looking forward to next week. Bill is OK, but hasn't really jumped out as a great character. I do enjoy Capauldi as the Doctor, but he is very different than previous iterations. He has grown considerably.
Sola Deo Gloria

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm
This last episode was the first one of this season that has me really looking forward to next week. Bill is OK, but hasn't really jumped out as a great character. I do enjoy Capauldi as the Doctor, but he is very different than previous iterations. He has grown considerably.
Yeah, all the episodes since they revealed the vault's occupant have been filler.