The Cosmology Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: The Cosmology Thread

Post by Del » Wed May 11, 2016 6:48 am

I am reading this book.

It is not about cosmology. It is about the Self, and how lost we are in the cosmos.

Written in the 1980's, it is still very relevant today. Very funny, in a wry sort of way. He goes on for the first hundred pages filled with quizzes about how the reader sees himself in the cosmos.

Walker Percy wrote about our lost of cultural sanity. Of course, no one in the '80's could predict how much we would lose track of our two genders.... but the runaway sexual disorders were already apparent.

My current quiz suggests that the epidemic of depression is not a widespread disorder that needs to be cured. Perhaps depression is the natural reaction to a disordered world.

A few pages ago, one of the quiz answers (every question is multiple choice), Percy noted that early man understood the cosmos through myth. Then religion ordered his understanding of himself in the cosmos. Now he has the power of positive science to study the cosmos, but science is unable to tell him anything about himself. Perhaps this is why he feels lost.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed May 11, 2016 7:57 am

Del wrote:I am reading this book.

It is not about cosmology. It is about the Self, and how lost we are in the cosmos.

Written in the 1980's, it is still very relevant today. Very funny, in a wry sort of way. He goes on for the first hundred pages filled with quizzes about how the reader sees himself in the cosmos.

Walker Percy wrote about our lost of cultural sanity. Of course, no one in the '80's could predict how much we would lose track of our two genders.... but the runaway sexual disorders were already apparent.

My current quiz suggests that the epidemic of depression is not a widespread disorder that needs to be cured. Perhaps depression is the natural reaction to a disordered world.

A few pages ago, one of the quiz answers (every question is multiple choice), Percy noted that early man understood the cosmos through myth. Then religion ordered his understanding of himself in the cosmos. Now he has the power of positive science to study the cosmos, but science is unable to tell him anything about himself. Perhaps this is why he feels lost.
Are you lost, Del? Or are you just projecting that everyone else is lost?
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 11, 2016 8:46 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Del

Post by Del » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

Onyx wrote:Are you lost, Del? Or are you just projecting that everyone else is lost?
Don't know. I'm only 1/4 way through the book.

The first hunnert pages or so are a variety of quizzes to help us see how thoroughly the Self is lost.

Amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Cosmos-Last- ... 0312253990

Wikipedia sez:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_the_Cosmos
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri May 13, 2016 3:17 pm

Rusty wrote:
"Sean Carroll is just another quantum state of Steven Weinberg" ~ God

This belongs in a Philosophy in the news thread.

Here is Sean blogging about his new book...

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/bl ... ne-cosmos/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/bl ... rstanding/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/bl ... e-essence/

It's priced to sell and it looks like an interesting book. I might buy this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Picture-Origi ... carroll-20

A review of the book courtesy Bee Hossenfelder, a theoretical physicist.
http://backreaction.blogspot.ca/2016/05 ... rroll.html
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:12 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:13 pm

Indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:51 pm

This is what I think of every time I glance at the thread title without thinking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis