I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:35 am

Saw that this morning and got banned from the Daily Mail's comment boards. I said the Anglican Pope was a real queen. Apparently, the fact that she is, in fact, a queen may offend homosexuals, all of whom are well known to read the Daily Mail.

When I read the title, I was trying to figure out how the heck a celebrant could use his mobile during Mass. I wasn't thinking of them as part of the congregation.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:05 am

+JMJ+

Analysis: The Pope’s dramatic – and confusing – move on Communion
Pope Francis meets Bangladesh's bishops last week (CNS)

The Pope has given official approval to a document by the Buenos Aires bishops. That won't necessarily change what Catholics believe

In 1870, many Catholics, from cardinals to laypeople, had real concerns about the doctrine of papal infallibility. Then the First Vatican Council proclaimed the doctrine – with some important limits and qualifications – and that was pretty much that. Apart from an eccentric schism starting in Germany, and the odd priest here and there, pretty much everyone said, “Well, the Church has taught it so I’ll go along with it.”

That is presumably what Pope Francis is hoping for with his latest act in the saga of Communion for the remarried. This debate, which has dominated Francis’s pontificate, is becoming harder to explain than the geopolitics of the Middle East, but on Friday the Pope attempted to clarify it. He has added an “apostolic letter” to the Acta Apostolicae Sedis – the record of the papacy’s official acts. The letter was sent to the Bishops of Buenos Aires last year, approving their interpretation of Amoris Laetitia. The bishops appear to say (this is disputed, as we’ll see) that Amoris Laetitia favours Communion for the remarried in some circumstances, even if the new relationship is sexually active. The Pope has now approved this reading, not just in private but in his role as Supreme Pontiff.

So will this new act do a Vatican I? Will everyone now accept that Communion for the remarried can be OK? It seems highly unlikely, for several reasons. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima