The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by infidel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am
I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!
Having Mrs R in the right seat is like a self driving car.
A car that tells you how to drive is not the same as a self-driving car.
infi-

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: House in VA, living and working in Los Alamos, NM

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:52 pm
There's a Baja Bug in my town listed for sale on a FB automotive page I'm a member of. $4000. It's a nice one and it's worth the asking price. One of my best friends (Colin, he died last month) had one that we played with in high school. We painted that car five or six times over a three year span. I've always wanted one. I'm seriously thinking of buying this one. In memory of my friend of course. Mrs FredS might actually not kill me if I buy it.

I have way too many irons in the fire right now, but damn, I want that car.
Man, I really want a Baja now that I live back in the southwest. I spent a lot of time in my friend's rail as a teenager in the desert of El Paso.

What year is the Baja? Does it have a full roll cage?
1973. Five point cage. Suspension (not body) lift. One piece, flip front. Headlights hard mounted behind the fenders so they don't shake. Five point harness'. 'Race' seats. Aluminum dash and door panels. Nice tires and wheels. No nerf bars because really all those are good for is bending up so you can't open the door. All it needs is paint and this is one of those cars you can paint in the driveway if your neighbors are cool.

Image
THAT is pretty sweet. If the build has been done well I'd be tempted to buy that. Is it pretty stock 1600 dual port? I'd love to have one like that with the idea of having a second engine sitting in the garage ready to swap out.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18916
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm
. . . Is it pretty stock 1600 dual port? I'd love to have one like that with the idea of having a second engine sitting in the garage ready to swap out.
What I know about bug engines would fill one jug, but the listing reads "1500sp motor with dp heads on it. Leaks a little oil, but what vw doesn't? Has new pushrods tubes,complete rear axles, master cylinder, and steering box. Motor has been painted gloss black, and the body in a flat gray . NO RUST!"

It looks like it has new glass and rubber. I think I'll offer it to myself as a reward if I can finish up a few projects around the ranch this week.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20855
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:07 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:52 pm
There's a Baja Bug in my town listed for sale on a FB automotive page I'm a member of. $4000. It's a nice one and it's worth the asking price. One of my best friends (Colin, he died last month) had one that we played with in high school. We painted that car five or six times over a three year span. I've always wanted one. I'm seriously thinking of buying this one. In memory of my friend of course. Mrs FredS might actually not kill me if I buy it.

I have way too many irons in the fire right now, but damn, I want that car.
Man, I really want a Baja now that I live back in the southwest. I spent a lot of time in my friend's rail as a teenager in the desert of El Paso.

What year is the Baja? Does it have a full roll cage?
1973. Five point cage. Suspension (not body) lift. One piece, flip front. Headlights hard mounted behind the fenders so they don't shake. Five point harness'. 'Race' seats. Aluminum dash and door panels. Nice tires and wheels. No nerf bars because really all those are good for is bending up so you can't open the door. All it needs is paint and this is one of those cars you can paint in the driveway if your neighbors are cool.

Image
THAT is pretty sweet. If the build has been done well I'd be tempted to buy that. Is it pretty stock 1600 dual port? I'd love to have one like that with the idea of having a second engine sitting in the garage ready to swap out.
Very very cool, Fred!

You need to tow that thing out here and drive it. You know you do. :wink:

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: House in VA, living and working in Los Alamos, NM

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm
. . . Is it pretty stock 1600 dual port? I'd love to have one like that with the idea of having a second engine sitting in the garage ready to swap out.
What I know about bug engines would fill one jug, but the listing reads "1500sp motor with dp heads on it. Leaks a little oil, but what vw doesn't? Has new pushrods tubes,complete rear axles, master cylinder, and steering box. Motor has been painted gloss black, and the body in a flat gray . NO RUST!"

It looks like it has new glass and rubber. I think I'll offer it to myself as a reward if I can finish up a few projects around the ranch this week.
Bugs are such easy engines to work on. You can drop an engine in under 30 minutes with a floorjack and a couple hand tools. Even easier in a Baja. Get yourself an extra engine and rebuild it while driving that one around. I envy you. I was just checking out Bajas in the area on Craigslist. LOL
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12421
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am
I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!
Having Mrs R in the right seat is like a self driving car.
A car that tells you how to drive is not the same as a self-driving car.
You seem to have taken over for Hogleg as my number one critic.

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by infidel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm
infidel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am
I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!
Having Mrs R in the right seat is like a self driving car.
A car that tells you how to drive is not the same as a self-driving car.
You seem to have taken over for Hogleg as my number one critic.
Just a point of clarification, not criticism :-) I could never be your Hogleg.
infi-

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12421
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 pm

infidel wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm
infidel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am
I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!
Having Mrs R in the right seat is like a self driving car.
A car that tells you how to drive is not the same as a self-driving car.
You seem to have taken over for Hogleg as my number one critic.
Just a point of clarification, not criticism :-) I could never be your Hogleg.
Well with Hogleg MIA SOMEBODY needs to step up to the plate and keep me in line. :)

User avatar
philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: NW Georgia, USA

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by philofumo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 pm

I've been on the lookout for a new "used" car and thought I'd go with a first generation Cooper S, but I'm still drawn in to the old Saab, I mean, it's the only car I've driven since 1991, 3 different ones, and I just love 'em and now I'm falling back into the vortex LOL my '86 needs a complete teardown and rebuild yet I continue driving her and it ain't got no right to keep on going, nearly bulletproof, definitely idiotproof LOL as I am often an idiot and neglected her for too long...

...found an '86 SPG (special performance group) in Rocky Mount Virginia on craigslist, 6.5 hour drive from me, I am enraptured and I wanna get it!
$1,800 is a deal and I think I might just take the bait.

Certified Saabnut,
me.

It's sad to be a lover of an orphan company, and I can understand the Packard guys, plus others, and dodo birds of extinction...

:afro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnQ8wxzyD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myV_HI-_WeI

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18916
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 am

philofumo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 pm
I've been on the lookout for a new "used" car and thought I'd go with a first generation Cooper S . . .
Going against every fiber of my being, I bought a used '03 Mini (not an S) for Mrs FredS a couple years ago. The instrument panel lights don't work. Seems to be an issue in the body module. *WTF the engineers decided the IP lights need to run through a computer is beyond me. The drivers side window motor 'sticks' sometimes and you have to whack the door panel in just the right place with your fist to get it to work. Last week the passenger side window decided it doesn't want to roll up unless someone is pulling on it while someone else mans the switch. Even then it stops just short of all the way. Yep, German cars suck. I don't know if I've mentioned that before or not. But they do.

But still, that thing is a blast to drive. Not super fast, but dude, she corners like nothing I've ever driven before.



*Actually, I know why pretty much all electrical and electronic systems run through a computer these days. It's so everything can be controlled with low voltage in order to save weight. And make it damn near impossible for a mortal to repair cheaply.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12421
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:30 pm

I honor of A_Morley the following rant is offered. It of course would not make a good pimple on the butt of one of his rants.

I hate electric windows. With the windows down, get a few miles from the house and they will not go up when it starts raining. What is wrong with roll up windows? Is it really that much effort to turn the handle?

User avatar
mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Warrensburg MO
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by mustangii » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Here's my project I am working on. Have engine rebuilt. Working on pulling the old one out.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18916
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:49 pm

PT Cruiser?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Warrensburg MO
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by mustangii » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:49 pm

2005 PT GT

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12421
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 am

This car is very much like my first car. Mine was an early production 1951 and had the two piece windshield. Also this car has the Dynaflow and two tone paint where as mine was a 3 on the tree and a solid color. This one is in MUCH better condition than mine was. If I was to buy this car the headlight visors would come off first thing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Buick-41D-Special-Deluxe-Sedan-/322644714482?hash=item4b1f1fa3f2%3Ag%3AlTIAAOSwtTVZi3jI&vxp=mtr

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3924
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:15 am

For as long as we've been together, I've been promising - one day - to buy Mrs. DP a '55 T-Bird, Baby Blue.
Well, last night we were out on a date and we saw one.

Immaculate.
Great price.

I bought it for her.
























$3.99, and worth every penny!

Image
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12421
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:15 am
For as long as we've been together, I've been promising - one day - to buy Mrs. DP a '55 T-Bird, Baby Blue.
Well, last night we were out on a date and we saw one.

Immaculate.
Great price.

I bought it for her.




















$3.99, and worth every penny!

Image
[/quote]Can't go wrong with a 55-57 Bird.
(You had me going)
Last edited by Roadmaster on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3924
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

:pipe2:


I told Mrs. DP I bought it for her, but look where it ended up:

Image

I'm a bad husband.
She deserves better.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 2103
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: ...through the tulips

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by michigander » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:29 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm
:pipe2:


I told Mrs. DP I bought it for her, but look where it ended up:

Image

I'm a bad husband.
She deserves better.
.... yeah, you should make it up to her and buy her this one to drive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Ford-Thund ... 12&vxp=mtr

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3924
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:39 pm

If only . . .
Definitely guilty of covetousness.

Mrs. DP would LOVE to drive that Bird.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest