The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm

So it's a rainy night and we pick up the 2002 Xterra 4 banger. On the way home one headlight goes out and it's panic city.
No big deal, I say, this is an old car and such is part of the fun--- it's ether the bulb or a fuse or a loose connection.
We'll take care of it tomorrow.
The boy is miserable about it.
I pay a few bills and read a journal that just arrived in today's mail.
Next thing I know, the boy is all excited---he watched a YouTube on how to change the Xterra's headlamp bulb (it was a bulb as the high beams still worked) went to Autozone, bought a new bulb and changed it himself!
This from a kid who never turned a wrench before!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am

1970 Harley Ironhead motor is rebuilt! I had to tear it completely down because two of the rear case bolts had snapped off. Since I had the cases split, I decided to have the flywheel balanced and trued and replaced the main bearings. Turns out the left side case is the original so the numbers match the frame but the right side case is off of a 1969. Both halves have had welding repairs. It's tough to find cases on these old bikes that haven't because people ran them into the ground. A few of the gears had to be replaced in the transmission due to wear. I had the heads ported and polished. New cylinders and jugs. The original jugs were maxed and couldn't be bored out any further. It has the Super S carb which is great. It's simple and, IMO, the best carb they put on these. Anyway, it was a gummed up mess so it's been rebuilt. I can't wait to hear her run.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am
1970 Harley Ironhead motor is rebuilt! I had to tear it completely down because two of the rear case bolts had snapped off. Since I had the cases split, I decided to have the flywheel balanced and trued and replaced the main bearings. Turns out the left side case is the original so the numbers match the frame but the right side case is off of a 1969. Both halves have had welding repairs. It's tough to find cases on these old bikes that haven't because people ran them into the ground. A few of the gears had to be replaced in the transmission due to wear. I had the heads ported and polished. New cylinders and jugs. The original jugs were maxed and couldn't be bored out any further. It has the Super S carb which is great. It's simple and, IMO, the best carb they put on these. Anyway, it was a gummed up mess so it's been rebuilt. I can't wait to hear her run.
Maybe a video so we can hear it run also!?
Rich Corinthian Leather

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Good idea.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am
SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am
Maybe a video so we can hear it run also!?
I miss working on bikes.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm

The lawn mower cr@pped out.
I found a 20" Trimmer with a 3-1/2 Briggs that looks like new on Craigs.
It's been sitting for a couple of years, so it'll probably need some TLC and a carb kit, but they are asking only $75
A new hand push mower is $100-$120 in the big box places, so this is very tempting.
As a kid I spent a lot of time behind both push mowers and Trimmers.
Trimmers are lots more fun!
It's also a good excuse to borrow my son's Xterra to bring it home!

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm
It's been sitting for a couple of years, so it'll probably need some TLC and a carb kit, but they are asking only $75
A new hand push mower is $100-$120 in the big box places, so this is very tempting.
Been sitting for a couple of years that needs work as opposed to new for $25 difference?
Rich Corinthian Leather

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm
Been sitting for a couple of years that needs work as opposed to new for $25 difference?
I'm lazy. I'll let the 3-1/2 horses do the work.
Looks to need a carb kit, fresh fluids, air cleaner screw and one little cotter pin for the clutch linkage. I got it for $60
It looks to be an earlier model than any others I've seen----built like a tank she is!

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:25 pm

My grandsons' '05 Checy 2500 Silverado won't start. Battery is good. Checked connections. Turn the key and nothing happens; just a few small clicks under the hood. I can't get to the starter, yet, to give it a few taps with a hammer. Anyone got any other thoughts? I'm searching to see if there's a relay or something else that can fail, to cause this problem.
I'm old but I'm happy.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:25 pm
My grandsons' '05 Checy 2500 Silverado won't start. Battery is good. Checked connections. Turn the key and nothing happens; just a few small clicks under the hood. I can't get to the starter, yet, to give it a few taps with a hammer. Anyone got any other thoughts? I'm searching to see if there's a relay or something else that can fail, to cause this problem.
That sure sounds like the battery.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Corroded terminals/cables(at the battery, relay or starter) can also cause this. Turn on the dome light and try again. If all the lights go out it's a sign that you can't pull enough current through the terminals due to high resistance (so voltage drops to near zero).

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 am

michigander wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Corroded terminals/cables(at the battery, relay or starter) can also cause this. Turn on the dome light and try again. If all the lights go out it's a sign that you can't pull enough current through the terminals due to high resistance (so voltage drops to near zero).
That's true. I drive an old truck and I have had that issue.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 am
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
S&S nails the problem (though he spelled it incorrectly) right there in the first sentence.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am
UncleBob wrote:
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
S&S nails the problem (though he spelled it incorrectly) right there in the first sentence.
I'd say Fred you're a smarta**, but I can't argue your point right now.
I'm old but I'm happy.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
I don't know how the weather is down there today, but a cold night can really kill a battery that may be on it's last leg. A battery that seemed fine, and had been working fine, all of a sudden doesn't work after the first cold snap of the year.

BTDT. A dozen times.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
I don't know how the weather is down there today, but a cold night can really kill a battery that may be on it's last leg. A battery that seemed fine, and had been working fine, all of a sudden doesn't work after the first cold snap of the year.

BTDT. A dozen times.
Yep, that's where I started (ptp). Ended up finding a loose wire to the starter and cranked it up. Thanks everyone.
I'm old but I'm happy.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 pm

BTW, can a faulty battery cause starter-solenoid issues?
I'm old but I'm happy.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't think a bad battery would damage the starter solenoid. They're pretty much designed to get full voltage on the battery side (which could be as high as 14V) and a bad battery should never cause an over-voltage issue. I'd say the thing most likely to hurt the solenoid is age and heat from the exhaust system. Back in the day, it was common to install a Ford 'solenoid' (it's actually a relay, but everyone calls it a solenoid) to bypass a bad one on a Chevy starter. The Ford style mounted remotely - not on the starter motor itself - so it could be placed in a more hospitable location.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:52 pm
I don't think a bad battery would damage the starter solenoid. They're pretty much designed to get full voltage on the battery side (which could be as high as 14V) and a bad battery should never cause an over-voltage issue. I'd say the thing most likely to hurt the solenoid is age and heat from the exhaust system. Back in the day, it was common to install a Ford 'solenoid' (it's actually a relay, but everyone calls it a solenoid) to bypass a bad one on a Chevy starter. The Ford style mounted remotely - not on the starter motor itself - so it could be placed in a more hospitable location.
The remote, Ford style solenoid is a good idea. My son in law went ahead a bought a new starter yesterday. He's guessing starter since the issue has been intermittent. Will be a bugger to get to.
I'm old but I'm happy.