The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am
I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!
I've thought about this a lot over the last few years. I love to drive. I don't enjoy being a rider. I know a lot of people see their car as simply a means to get them from one place to another, the journey being unimportant or even irrelevant. That aint me.

So my thoughts are that there will always be young people who enjoy working on cars and improving the performance or appearance of their rides. They'll be the ones who hack their autonomous cars and take back control of driving them. Imagine how much fun they'll have zipping around all the self-driving cars, passing on the shoulder and then cutting over just in front of others to actuate their automatic accident avoidance systems. Anyone remember when those slot cars without slot's came out? It'll be just like that in the real world. And if the five-O pulls them over they can hand control back over to the operating system and say there must be a bug in the system. Blame Windows v135.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am
Thunktank wrote:
I've thought about this a lot over the last few years. I love to drive. I don't enjoy being a rider. I know a lot of people see their car as simply a means to get them from one place to another, the journey being unimportant or even irrelevant. That aint me.

So my thoughts are that there will always be young people who enjoy working on cars and improving the performance or appearance of their rides. They'll be the ones who hack their autonomous cars and take back control of driving them. Imagine how much fun they'll have zipping around all the self-driving cars, passing on the shoulder and then cutting over just in front of others to actuate their automatic accident avoidance systems. Anyone remember when those slot cars without slot's came out? It'll be just like that in the real world. And if the five-O pulls them over they can hand control back over to the operating system and say there must be a bug in the system. Blame Windows v135.
I'm with you Fred. I love to drive also.
Started counting the days until I turned 16 when I was 14.
Drove a truck for 38 years and still did not get tired of it.
Rich Corinthian Leather

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am
Thunktank wrote:

I'm with you Fred. I love to drive also.
Started counting the days until I turned 16 when I was 14.
Drove a truck for 38 years and still did not get tired of it.
Me too. I posted that expecting you all to correct me. I'm actually quite concerned about the self driving cars. It might mean, someday, no one gets to drive. Not soon, but to think that my great kids might not enjoy the joy of driving makes me sad.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:26 pm

The Legendary Harold Hash, The 57, and yours truly at Cowan Center Saturday. Thanks to Kevin Officer for detailing the car. He is the best.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Would someone smarter than I fix this so the photo appears?
Rich Corinthian Leather

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 pm

(that's our hero in the blue shirt)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:58 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 pm
Wow, thanks Fred!
Rich Corinthian Leather

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:58 pm
FredS wrote:
Wow, thanks Fred!
Boom. Win.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:
Wow, thanks Fred!
Boom. Win.
Is that your fiddy-seven?

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 pm
JimVH wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:
Wow, thanks Fred!
Boom. Win.

Love me a '57
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Sweet car.

Count me in the love to drive crowd. Stick. Automatic. I don't care. I just enjoy driving. In fact, when people learn how far I commute to and from work they act shocked but I have never ever minded it one bit.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 pm
JimVH wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:
Wow, thanks Fred!
Boom. Win.

Love me a '57
I know, it's a GM product and Fred and Michigander are Ford guys. Actually I was looking for a 49-50 Mercury when this car became available about 20 years ago. I like at least some all the big three products.
Rich Corinthian Leather

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm

My old man's first car was a '57 Chevy that he purchased in the mid 60's. He speaks very fondly of that car.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am

Man, that's a nice car RM. I saw another picture of it that you posted to FB. Of the Tri-Fives, the 57 is definitely my favorite (as if that matters to anyone else). There are only a few cars that are so iconic that everyone knows what you mean when you speak of just the year and the brand. You say "57 Chevy" or "32 Ford" and everyone knows exactly what car you're talking about even though Chevy and Ford made more than one model in those years.

The 57 Nomad is in my top five favorite cars of all time.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:52 pm

There's a Baja Bug in my town listed for sale on a FB automotive page I'm a member of. $4000. It's a nice one and it's worth the asking price. One of my best friends (Colin, he died last month) had one that we played with in high school. We painted that car five or six times over a three year span. I've always wanted one. I'm seriously thinking of buying this one. In memory of my friend of course. Mrs FredS might actually not kill me if I buy it.

I have way too many irons in the fire right now, but damn, I want that car.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:52 pm
There's a Baja Bug in my town listed for sale on a FB automotive page I'm a member of. $4000. It's a nice one and it's worth the asking price. One of my best friends (Colin, he died last month) had one that we played with in high school. We painted that car five or six times over a three year span. I've always wanted one. I'm seriously thinking of buying this one. In memory of my friend of course. Mrs FredS might actually not kill me if I buy it.

Sell me the Cobra and you would have garage space for the Baja Bug.
Rich Corinthian Leather

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am

FredS wrote:

Man, I really want a Baja now that I live back in the southwest. I spent a lot of time in my friend's rail as a teenager in the desert of El Paso.

What year is the Baja? Does it have a full roll cage?
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am
FredS wrote:

Man, I really want a Baja now that I live back in the southwest. I spent a lot of time in my friend's rail as a teenager in the desert of El Paso.

What year is the Baja? Does it have a full roll cage?
1973. Five point cage. Suspension (not body) lift. One piece, flip front. Headlights hard mounted behind the fenders so they don't shake. Five point harness'. 'Race' seats. Aluminum dash and door panels. Nice tires and wheels. No nerf bars because really all those are good for is bending up so you can't open the door. All it needs is paint and this is one of those cars you can paint in the driveway if your neighbors are cool.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 pm
If yer serious, let's talk. I'm thinking of moving to an area of the country that's not friendly to hot rods with 4" ground clearance.

vwdeano
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction

Post by vwdeano » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:17 pm

FredS wrote:

I'm a sucker for the VWs... Got rid of my '63 several years ago, and I've missed it... red beetle with white interior... 40 horse... dangit. Baja would be a lotta fun!
Dean
"A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself"

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:41 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 pm
If yer serious, let's talk. I'm thinking of moving to an area of the country that's not friendly to hot rods with 4" ground clearance.
I 'm really not able to ride my motorcycle anymore, 20 miles is about it before my right arm is killing me and that is using the cruse control. My balance is not good either. So, we have been looking for something on four wheels that is topless. Your Cobra interests me, she likes the Pontiac Solstice but would consider your Cobra. You may be more comfortable talking about this by PM instead of this thread, either way is fine with me.
Rich Corinthian Leather