The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 pm
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 pm
FredS wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 am
I called several places around town and $800 is the average quote to replace the AC compressor on my wife's Expedition. It could go up to $1200 if the compressor had a catastrophic failure and sent aluminum bits through the system.. . .
You live in Montana for goodness sake. Tell her that she can manage without AC.

Buy the POY.

Trust me, the pipe is more important than marital bliss. Besides, it only gets hot there for a week or two in August and your POY will be a distant memory by the time she's uncomfortable in the car.
She has been ok without A/C for a year. The problem is the compressor is now locked up. That rips up the belt. That stops the alternator. That kills the battery. Plus the other systems dependent on the belt turning. The damn thing starts now, but squeals like a banshee, or Del with a spider up his kilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like it may be easier to delete the AC, belt and all, especially if she's not had AC for that long but IDK, I deleted the AC on my 1976 Ford F-150 Ranger but things were simpler on those old motors.
I was thinking about that last night. I don't know that it's an option on this.

Update: yes it is possible. They make a bypass pulley and uses the original length belt.

Problem solved!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
FredS wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
I called several places around town and $800 is the average quote to replace the AC compressor on my wife's Expedition. It could go up to $1200 if the compressor had a catastrophic failure and sent aluminum bits through the system.. . .

Buy the POY.

Trust me, the pipe is more important than marital bliss. Besides, it only gets hot there for a week or two in August and your POY will be a distant memory by the time she's uncomfortable in the car.
She has been ok without A/C for a year. The problem is the compressor is now locked up. That rips up the belt. That stops the alternator. That kills the battery. Plus the other systems dependent on the belt turning. The damn thing starts now, but squeals like a banshee, or Del with a spider up his kilt.

Sounds like it may be easier to delete the AC, belt and all, especially if she's not had AC for that long but IDK, I deleted the AC on my 1976 Ford F-150 Ranger but things were simpler on those old motors.

Update: yes it is possible. They make a bypass pulley and uses the original length belt.

Problem solved!

Nope. I called to see if they make one for our year and they don't. The way the belt is routed and the tensioner placement I can't even use a shorter belt.

It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:31 pm
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
FredS wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Buy the POY.

Problem solved!

Nope. I called to see if they make one for our year and they don't. The way the belt is routed and the tensioner placement I can't even use a shorter belt.

Park it downtown with the key in the ignition.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
FredS wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Buy the POY.

Problem solved!

Maybe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:38 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
FredS wrote: You live in Montana for goodness sake. Tell her that she can manage without AC.

Buy the POY.

Problem solved!

Maybe

Just be sure to call your insurance guy the day before to ask about theft coverage and upgrade if need be!

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
FredS wrote: You live in Montana for goodness sake. Tell her that she can manage without AC.

Buy the POY.

Problem solved!

Maybe
Really? How cheap would it be to just fab something up? Square stock, welder, and an idle wheel to fake the existence of the compressor?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Skip wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Problem solved!

Maybe
Really? How cheap would it be to just fab something up? Square stock, welder, and an idle wheel to fake the existence of the compressor?
If you have the skills and the tools I'll spring for the steaks and whiskey.

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm
Skip wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote: Sounds like it may be easier to delete the AC, belt and all, especially if she's not had AC for that long but IDK, I deleted the AC on my 1976 Ford F-150 Ranger but things were simpler on those old motors.
Problem solved!

Maybe
If you have the skills and the tools I'll spring for the steaks and whiskey.
Neither. I'm just an engineer (not in Oregon) with wild-assed ideas and a history of jury rigging repairs that end up semi-permanent (or that I just forget to go back and finish off).
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Skip wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 pm
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Problem solved!

Maybe
If you really want to delete the AC compressor call March Performance. They make brackets for just about anything you want to add or remove to the front of every engine imaginable. Or maybe you can scour the junk yards for a similar vehicle that came from the factory with no AC and swipe some pulleys and idlers from that. There should be one or two stickers with a diagram of the belt routing on the underside of the hood or maybe on the core support right in front of the radiator. If there's a diagram with your engine size without AC then it's a good bet you could find some factory bracketry if you looked long enough. Be mindful though, of the direction the pumps rotate. Ford puts CW and CCW water (and power steering?) pumps on the same engines so you need to be sure you don't accidently re-route the belt and turn the things backwards.

I'm not sure, however, that you need to go there. That compressor should be able to freewheel unless the electric clutch engages it. If there's something sending the signal to engage the clutch you may only need to unplug the wire from the compressor. If the clutch is physically locked up you may be able to take it apart, gut it, and reassemble without the offending parts.
Last edited by FredS on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Skip wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote: Sounds like it may be easier to delete the AC, belt and all, especially if she's not had AC for that long but IDK, I deleted the AC on my 1976 Ford F-150 Ranger but things were simpler on those old motors.
Problem solved!

Maybe
If you really want to delete the AC compressor call March Performance. They make brackets for just about anything you want to add or remove to the front of every engine imaginable. I'm not sure, however, that you need to go there. That compressor should be able to freewheel unless the electric clutch engages it. If there's something sending the signal to engage the clutch you may only need to unplug the wire from the compressor. If the clutch is physically locked up you may be able to take it apart, gut it, and reassemble without the offending parts.
Good ideas. Thank you.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Skip wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote: I was thinking about that last night. I don't know that it's an option on this.
Problem solved!

Maybe
If you really want to delete the AC compressor call March Performance. They make brackets for just about anything you want to add or remove to the front of every engine imaginable. I'm not sure, however, that you need to go there. That compressor should be able to freewheel unless the electric clutch engages it. If there's something sending the signal to engage the clutch you may only need to unplug the wire from the compressor. If the clutch is physically locked up you may be able to take it apart, gut it, and reassemble without the offending parts.
Good ideas. Thank you.

When I got home from work I made sure the heating and cooling system was off. There was no change. I crawled underneath with a socket wrench and was not able to turn the pulley. There was chunks of rubber from the old belt scattered about, but a lot of them around the pulley on the A/C compressor. That's not a surprise. I was going to remove the belt and try to turn the pulley again, when a thunderstorm came in. I'll try that tomorrow. With a few tweaks to the May budget I can handle paying someone to fix it.

The kids dash is still an issue. I changed the circuit board, and the dash voltage regulator, and still have no dash lights. The fuel gauge and speedometer work. I think the voltmeter works. It could be stuck, but there's no indication that there's no indication of any problem with the charging system This weekend I'll take a little emery cloth to the contacts on the bulb housings. I think changing the dash wiring harness is the next step. It is missing the bulbs, and their housings, for two idiot lights. If that doesn't do it I'll be chasing wires deeper. I am honestly thinking I'm going to have to go with an aftermarket/custom instrument cluster.

Please know that I am not complaining. I am actually having fun. Whether I am in the wood shop or working on cars, I find working with my hands, learning, and problem solving like this, to be relaxing, even therapeutic.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:36 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 pm
. . .Please know that I am not complaining. I am actually having fun. Whether I am in the wood shop or working on cars, I find working with my hands, learning, and problem solving like this, to be relaxing, even therapeutic.
I hear that. Mrs FredS is a therapist so she works with people all day. I prefer wood and metal and the machines that shape them. No way I could do what she does. If I remember right, your day job is also one in which you work with people in need all day, so I completely understand how you find working on cars to be therapeutic. There's a logical course to take when troubleshooting machines. Troubleshooting people? Mmm, not so logical.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 am

FredS wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 pm
. . .Please know that I am not complaining. I am actually having fun. Whether I am in the wood shop or working on cars, I find working with my hands, learning, and problem solving like this, to be relaxing, even therapeutic.
I hear that. Mrs FredS is a therapist so she works with people all day. I prefer wood and metal and the machines that shape them. No way I could do what she does. If I remember right, your day job is also one in which you work with people in need all day, so I completely understand how you find working on cars to be therapeutic. There's a logical course to take when troubleshooting machines. Troubleshooting people? Mmm, not so logical.
Yes, I kind of do something similar to your wife's job, but without the education and training. I work a grant helping homeless veterans get into stable housing. It is not uncommon for me to talk someone out of suicide, or hurting someone else, or talk them into seeing professional help for those thoughts, addiction issues, and such. The goal is long term stability so we constantly adjust the plan to meet the needs of the individual, or family. Spending all day working with people in crisis you have to be intentional about not letting their crisis become your crisis. I admit that can be easier said than done sometimes. That's especially true if you see a lot of yourself in the person you're trying to help.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

The gearhead thread.

Post by mont974x4 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:57 am

This weekends project is new hood turn signals and inserts.
ImageImageImage

I still need to wire them up.

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Sun May 21, 2017 4:07 pm

If you are a fan of Buick Roadmasters and/or Howard Hughes as I am check this out.

Plug-in attachment under trunk to 24-volts to jump airplanes...
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1953-BUICK-ROADMASTER-4-DOOR-SEDAN-22005

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I got the burnt wires in the dash of the '67 repaired. I now have working hazard lights. Well, sort of. The tail lights and the hood signals flash. I still don't have working turn signals. The two parking lights/turn signals under the front bumper need replaced. I'm thinking of upgrading to LED's. I did change all the dash bulbs to LED's and it works and looks great. I also got the heater control cables replaced.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am

Good gravy, this changes everything! Who needs a bumpstick? And mechanically variable cam timing? That's so 2010.

Koenigsegg FreeValve technology uses electronically controlled pneumatic actuators to open, hold, close the valves in any way you want. Add as much lift, ramp, duration, overlap as you want. Use one valve or two valves per cylinder depending on the power requirement. Selectively shut off any cylinders you want. Plumb one exhaust valve per cylinder to a turbo and dump the other down the exhaust pipe and you can control boost with no external pressure limiting devices.

With this valve technology and, port injection, and coil on cylinder, engineers and tuners have complete control of all events with no mechanical or vacuum timing devices. I know many of my ilk pine for the days of Holley double pumpers or even Stromberg 97's, but man I'd love to be a young hot rodder in these times.

https://vimeo.com/145498720

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:02 am

Building a engine for my 05 PT GT this weekend. Have a new turbo for it too. Fun in this Midwest heat. 103 in the garage today. Started cramping and had to stop at 3:00

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am

I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am
I can't wait to get a car that drives itself!
Having Mrs R in the right seat is like a self driving car.