The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am

FredS wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 am
Who has two thumbs and is a gearhead genius?

When I first built this hot rod a decade ago I put an access panel in the trunk to provide access to the in-tank electric fuel pump and another for the fuel level sending unit. Then I lost interest (rather, I found more enjoyable interests) and she's sat in the corner under a cover for about three years. Now I'm back in the gearhead groove and I need to get it running but I didn't want to run three year old gas through the fuel system so I detached the hose in to the fuel filter and stuck it in a bucket then removed the panel and hotwired the fuel pump with some short jumpers (the battery is less than two feet away) and enjoyed a leisurely cigar while she pumped all the old gas out of the tank. It probably took me six hours to fab this access panel back then, but I'm sure glad I took that time as it only took that time.

Also, I ran about a quart of gas down my arm when I was changing the fuel filter. For the record, women (at least mine) do not find the heady scent of gasoline and cigar smoke attractive.

A few years ago I replaced the in-tank fuel pump on my Chevy pickup by sliding the bed back 2-3 feet. I removed the bolts, got under the bed on my back and listed and slid the bed back with my legs. The chest pains I had a couple days later were attributed to this maneuver.

Anyway the new pump had to be adapted ( of course), and all of the wires were the same color, but different gauge. So I matched them up, inserted the new pump, got in the truck to try it, and laughed as the two guys there with me ran for cover.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 am

Help needed with a trolling motor that won't run. Batteries are charged. There's power at the outlet. I bypassed the plug, and the motor still won't run. It's a minn Kota riptide bow mount, 24 volt 70 HP.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:08 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am
FredS wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 am
Who has two thumbs and is a gearhead genius?

When I first built this hot rod a decade ago I put an access panel in the trunk to provide access to the in-tank electric fuel pump and another for the fuel level sending unit. Then I lost interest (rather, I found more enjoyable interests) and she's sat in the corner under a cover for about three years. Now I'm back in the gearhead groove and I need to get it running but I didn't want to run three year old gas through the fuel system so I detached the hose in to the fuel filter and stuck it in a bucket then removed the panel and hotwired the fuel pump with some short jumpers (the battery is less than two feet away) and enjoyed a leisurely cigar while she pumped all the old gas out of the tank. It probably took me six hours to fab this access panel back then, but I'm sure glad I took that time as it only took that time.

Also, I ran about a quart of gas down my arm when I was changing the fuel filter. For the record, women (at least mine) do not find the heady scent of gasoline and cigar smoke attractive.

A few years ago I replaced the in-tank fuel pump on my Chevy pickup by sliding the bed back 2-3 feet. I removed the bolts, got under the bed on my back and listed and slid the bed back with my legs. The chest pains I had a couple days later were attributed to this maneuver.

Anyway the new pump had to be adapted ( of course), and all of the wires were the same color, but different gauge. So I matched them up, inserted the new pump, got in the truck to try it, and laughed as the two guys there with me ran for cover.
I dumped a little fresh juice in this thing and couldn't get it to run unless I blocked the throttle body intake 95%. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and found less than 10 psi. Pulled out the fuel pump and found a split hose in the assembly. Thanks ethanol. Anyway, it's a hose formed in an 'S' shape so tight it would kink if I tried to bend a straight hose, and of course I can't find just the hose so I've ordered a new whole new pump assembly. Truth be told, I could probably find a hose that would work if I went behind the counter and dug through the bins at the parts store but at this point in my gearhead life I have more money than time so I'd just a soon spend the money and swap out the whole thing. Easy peasy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 am
Help needed with a trolling motor that won't run. Batteries are charged. There's power at the outlet. I bypassed the plug, and the motor still won't run. It's a minn Kota riptide bow mount, 24 volt 70 HP.
70 HP!?! I know you do things big in Texas, but, damn! That's a trolling motor.

Did you bypass the plug and switches and hook up some jumper wires right at the motor?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am
sweetandsour wrote:

Did you bypass the plug and switches and hook up some jumper wires right at the motor?
That's next. I'm thinking the issue is in the handle-throttle.

And no, even in Texas there's not a 70 HP troll motor! I should have said 70 lbs thrust. Uses 2 12v batteries. (My outboard is a 70 hp though).

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:54 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am
sweetandsour wrote:

That's next. I'm thinking the issue is in the handle-throttle.

And no, even in Texas there's not a 70 HP troll motor! I should have said 70 lbs thrust. Uses 2 12v batteries. (My outboard is a 70 hp though).
Absent any specific knowledge of what generally goes bad on these things, I'd go straight down to the motor and test it there with full power. Just give it a quick bump with the power wire - you don't want the wires clamped together if it starts smoking or spooling up to a million rpm. If the motor spins then work you way back up the circuit one device at a time until it stops working.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm

This guy is my hero. Seriously. In a dozen different ways, this is the best story I've heard in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gytEfDSWank

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks, Fred.

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 pm
Thanks, Fred.
I also enjoyed this on several levels.
The 54 Chevy drew me in, Dad had a 53 Chevy which is pretty much the same car. He worked in Kansas City and drove home to Springfield on weekends. Dad mostly drove wide open everywhere he went and the 53 would run about 81 or 82 and that's where he drove it. The 53 lasted for several years without major repairs going back and forth, no idea how many times the odometer rolled around to 0.
But the guys story is what got to me. There are many worthy causes out there. The cause that touches my heart is respect and harmony among the races. There are more important things maybe but this is the one that gets me.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm
. . .But the guys story is what got to me. There are many worthy causes out there. The cause that touches my heart is respect and harmony among the races. There are more important things maybe but this is the one that gets me.
He's a Christian man and he told his story plain and simple without the least bit of preachy-ness. That's exactly what's needed when hanging with young men. Just like with us, his cars draw the initial interest of young people, but he has so much more to offer them. And I bet they listen. There's an air of dignity with that guy. Yes. Dignified. That's the word that comes to mind.