The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:28 am

Back in the 80's and early 90's I bought specialty tools that I used to tune and repair bicycles, sometimes for a small profit but mostly for fun.

I recently found some old tools I forgot I even had and I began to wonder (earlier this week) how I ever learned to use and be succesful without the interwebs and then I remembered the special time and existence before internet knowledge... A few things came to mind.

1) aptitude
2) experience/ability
3) instinct
4) desire
5) belief
6) Public Library!

Now if I just could find an old bicycle to tune..
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Ethell » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 am

infidel wrote:This is cool: http://www.animatedengines.com/
That's a great site! The Gnome rotary engine is especially nice. My Dad once flew a replica WWI fighter that had a rotary engine. The plane was owned by the "Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome" in Rhinebeck, NY.

UPDATE: That plane still is owned by Old Rhinebeck which continues to operate weekend airshows. Would be a great location for a CPS meetup as pipes would surely fit the atmosphere there. (just not in the hangars!)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm getting the bug. My grandson and I just partnered-up on this '81 C-10:

"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 pm

JimVH wrote:I'm getting the bug. My grandson and I just partnered-up on this '81 C-10:

Wow, that's clean! Nice truck.

My first truck was a 79 Chevy Scottsdale. Made in Canada. Mine was cleaned up, repainted and overhauled by the time I bought it from my Dad. I loved that truck.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Jocose wrote:Back in the 80's and early 90's I bought specialty tools that I used to tune and repair bicycles, sometimes for a small profit but mostly for fun.

I recently found some old tools I forgot I even had and I began to wonder (earlier this week) how I ever learned to use and be succesful without the interwebs and then I remembered the special time and existence before internet knowledge... A few things came to mind.

1) aptitude
2) experience/ability
3) instinct
4) desire
5) belief
6) Public Library!

Now if I just could find an old bicycle to tune..
In the early days of our marriage, Mrs FredS, upon seeing me miraculously build or repair something, often asked "Who taught you how to do that?" or "How did you know what to do?" My answer was that nobody taught me how to do that specific thing, but my dad had taught me how to use tools and he let me tinker. With that as a base, and a little common sense, you can pretty much figure out how to do anything.

I also like to remind her that if the knucklehead in the white van can learn to fix a dishwasher, or roof, or furnace, or window, or whatever, then surely I can do it too.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Thunktank wrote:
JimVH wrote:I'm getting the bug. My grandson and I just partnered-up on this '81 C-10:

My first truck was a 79 Chevy Scottsdale. Made in Canada. Mine was cleaned up, repainted and overhauled by the time I bought it from my Dad. I loved that truck.
This one's pretty straight, too. I know the ownership line and it only has 155k original miles on it, uses/burns no oil, and runs smooth. No rust, either. Our project list is fairly minor.

Partnering might have been too strong a word. All I did was back him up on a small note, but he keeps saying "we" as plans are made. Who am I to argue. I told him there were three conditions for me to help: keep his grades up, live life honorably, and give me first dibs if he decides to sell it. :)

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:00 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

This one's pretty straight, too. I know the ownership line and it only has 155k original miles on it, uses/burns no oil, and runs smooth. No rust, either. Our project list is fairly minor.

Partnering might have been too strong a word. All I did was back him up on a small note, but he keeps saying "we" as plans are made. Who am I to argue. I told him there were three conditions for me to help: keep his grades up, live life honorably, and give me first dibs if he decides to sell it. :)
I'll give Texas one thing, they for the most part don't have much of a rust problem.

Nice unit there boss.
Rich Corinthian Leather

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
I'll give Texas one thing, they for the most part don't have much of a rust problem.

Nice unit there boss.
Thanks, RM.

We're no Arizona, but as long as you stay away from the coast we do ok.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm

It was great to be out in the garage a little over the weekend, and get my hands dirty under the hood again.

Yup... skinned a knuckle topping out the windshield washer fluid for both our cars.

I'm such a gear-head!!
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

FredS

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 am

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:31 am

OldWorldSwine wrote:It was great to be out in the garage a little over the weekend, and get my hands dirty under the hood again.

Yup... skinned a knuckle topping out the windshield washer fluid for both our cars.

I'm such a gear-head!!
<man grunt>

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:53 am

JimVH wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:It was great to be out in the garage a little over the weekend, and get my hands dirty under the hood again.

I'm such a gear-head!!
<man grunt>
I've been around long enough to cultivate a wide and diverse circle of friends. The mechanics and carpenters wish they were doctors and lawyers. The doctors and lawyers wish they were mechanics and carpenters.

Thunktank

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 pm

FredS wrote:Gearhead Fail
I feel shame. :(

But yeah, you're mostly right about the doctors, lawyers, carpenters, mechanics thing. Except for my Dad who was always happy being a carpenter (even though he's become such a big shot contractor now that he only gets to work with wood as a hobby now).

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 am

To the delight of many greenies, we know that many of the early automobiles were electric. In fact, for a short period, most automobiles were electric. Many were also powered by steam. And - this is really shocking - many buggies were pulled by animals. Animals! Imagine that. But they were all supplanted by internal combustion engines using petroleum as the power source because that's the most efficient method. Has been for 100 years. Probably won't be 100 years from now, but for now it still is.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:26 am

This is cool - A 400 horse power, 1.5L 3 cylinder engine, that weighs only 88 pounds. It is set to power a car at the 24 Hours of Le Mans this year.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/01/ni ... r-le-mans/

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:29 pm

I reposted this on FB but it's too good not to put here also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcRG2aE ... arecontrol
Rich Corinthian Leather

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Roadmaster wrote:I reposted this on FB but it's too good not to put here also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcRG2aE ... arecontrol
8)

Beautiful old car.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Gonna try to find time to change the fuel filter, oil, oil filter, clean the K&N air filter and install a new drive belt this weekend. My new Rancho lift is installed along with the new lower control arms, breaks and rotors. New tires are ordered. They'll be here Monday morning. I'm putting on Falken Rocky Mountain all terrains in 305/65 18R (33.6 inches x 12.1 inches). I think that size fits perfectly on 2004-08 F150s with 2 inch lift. Only two companies make that size all terrain, Falken and BF Goodrich. My next door neighbor (a very cool gal, she also owns a Jeep Unlimited and boat) has the exact same truck that I have to include the year and color. She has the BFGs on a Bilstein 2 inch lift, I want to do something a little different but about equal so I went with Rancho and Falken.

I'm really going to want custom wheels after all this, but it will need to wait. I'm planning on taking a long off road trip next Saturday in my upgraded rig, so I think I'll wait on giving it a detail for the following week. Truck pictures in it's natural environment forthcoming the following week. I love exploring the desert in the winter so I better hurry up before it starts getting hot. :)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Fail so failalicious it deserves a Cosbypalm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk