Puppies

Anything and everything... except the youth room... or what belongs in the Purgatory Forum
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 am

All of the puppies have been sold.
Two are still held with deposits paid and await a pick up.
For the first time, we used puppyfind.com and Daddy did not sell any locally where he had pretty much saturated his market over the past several years.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 am

Good news all around.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 am

Thunktank wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote: We have hunted with Brittany Spaniels and several Setters, Other than a few that had trouble pacing with the GSPs there was no difficulty.
I'm sure the Brittanies and Setters would do fine with GSPs. I like GSPs well enough and they're quite good for hunting in the southwest too. I would take the right one at the right time. Plus GSPs tend to retrieve very well which some Setters don't do so well and that's an important feature for me to have in a hunting dog. Those quail are tough to find once shot as I'm sure you know. But I was specifically wondering about hunting a pointing breed (such as a GSP or Setter) with a flushing breed like a Springer, Cocker or Lab. I've never hunted over pointers, I've only hunted over flushers so I don't know how my propensity to hunt with flushers would be with my hunting partners interest in a GSP.

I suspect my bond to my spaniel wouldn't phase his working style. He would still work as a flusher. But unlike a pair of well trained pointers who honor each other, the spaniel can't do that. No, the spaniel will dive in and flush like they're supposed to. Not sure what that would do to the nerves and ethics of a pointer who's supposed to hold a point. And pointers make poor flushers.
I discussed this with my father and he said a hunter surprised him on a guided hunt by showing up with a cocker and asked if he could bring him along. The cocker walked along side the hunter like a pet until the GSPs pointed. The hunter gave the command "get 'em up!" and the cocker went wild busting into the cover, working hard to cause a flush. Except for challenging the other dogs to hold their points during the fracas, the cocker was truly an asset in that role.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 pm

double post!
Last edited by Hovannes on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 pm

I've had two setters.
Both lived into their mid-teens.
They were very fond of beer.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote: We have hunted with Brittany Spaniels and several Setters, Other than a few that had trouble pacing with the GSPs there was no difficulty.
I'm sure the Brittanies and Setters would do fine with GSPs. I like GSPs well enough and they're quite good for hunting in the southwest too. I would take the right one at the right time. Plus GSPs tend to retrieve very well which some Setters don't do so well and that's an important feature for me to have in a hunting dog. Those quail are tough to find once shot as I'm sure you know. But I was specifically wondering about hunting a pointing breed (such as a GSP or Setter) with a flushing breed like a Springer, Cocker or Lab. I've never hunted over pointers, I've only hunted over flushers so I don't know how my propensity to hunt with flushers would be with my hunting partners interest in a GSP.

I suspect my bond to my spaniel wouldn't phase his working style. He would still work as a flusher. But unlike a pair of well trained pointers who honor each other, the spaniel can't do that. No, the spaniel will dive in and flush like they're supposed to. Not sure what that would do to the nerves and ethics of a pointer who's supposed to hold a point. And pointers make poor flushers.
I discussed this with my father and he said a hunter surprised him on a guided hunt by showing up with a cocker and asked if he could bring him along. The cocker walked along side the hunter like a pet until the GSPs pointed. The hunter gave the command "get 'em up!" and the cocker went wild busting into the cover, working hard to cause a flush. Except for challenging the other dogs to hold their points during the fracas, the cocker was truly an asset in that role.
Hey, thanks for checking on this, judge! I suspect that a lot has to do with the individual dogs and their handlers and how much experience they have working together too. The bottom line is that spaniels and pointers work differently and can complicate things for a mixed party, especially if they don't regularly work together. I need to have a serious talk with my hunting partners before they get their hunting dogs (or before I get a new hunting dog) . We need to collectively figure out our future game plan in regards to hunting dogs.

JudgeRusty

Re: Puppies

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm
Heh. That might be pheasants for me. I own the truck, clothes, waders, and guns. Don't need a lease. Dogs and feed are a serious consideration. I think I need a friend with a dog.
These little fellers will be ready for you in about three weeks:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 pm

They're wonderful, Rusty.

Our 14 year old is not likely to be around too much longer - she has tumors on her spleen and has become very susceptible to opportunistic infections. We're spoiling her rotten for as long as we can.

Your puppies melted my heart, and my wife's.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Judge...you are killing me...I have puppy fever so bad right now I cant stand it...those are some great looking pups.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:42 pm
Judge...you are killing me...I have puppy fever so bad right now I cant stand it...those are some great looking pups.
Are you sure you can't make it work? I'll bet there's a nice retired person near your place of work who would love to babysit for a small fee when you need it. You need a bird dog to go with that Model 12 of yours, along with a bird dog avatar. We'll even change your username to "Bird Dog" :wink: :lol:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Heh. That might be pheasants for me. I own the truck, clothes, waders, and guns. Don't need a lease. Dogs and feed are a serious consideration. I think I need a friend with a dog.
Wow. Eight, all from one litter. Poor mommy.

It'd be fun having one, but with my bum knee it's hard for me now to exercise a dog. I only have a city lot, too.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

It'd be fun having one, but with my bum knee it's hard for me now to exercise a dog. I only have a city lot, too.
I count nine, Goose.
There's a little cold nose poking out from beneath the second pup from the right I believe.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:43 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 am
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I count nine, Goose.
There's a little cold nose poking out from beneath the second pup from the right I believe.
Yes, I see it now.

And different expressions on each face, already showing their different personalities!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Are you sure you can't make it work? I'll bet there's a nice retired person near your place of work who would love to babysit for a small fee when you need it. You need a bird dog to go with that Model 12 of yours, along with a bird dog avatar. We'll even change your username to "Bird Dog" :wink: :lol:
I would love to find a way...just have to add another 3 hours to each day...Nope it will have to wait till I find different employment or retire. My day was 12 1/2 hours yesterday and my wife did 14...she left the house this morning at 6 and wont be home till after 10 tonight...too hard on a pup...I will just sit and whine for now :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
I would love to find a way...just have to add another 3 hours to each day...Nope it will have to wait till I find different employment or retire. My day was 12 1/2 hours yesterday and my wife did 14...she left the house this morning at 6 and wont be home till after 10 tonight...too hard on a pup...I will just sit and whine for now :)
You're doing the right thing.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Mom has equipment for raising eight but had nine. We were not sure she could do it, but apparently she is an organized parent.