Puppies

Anything and everything... except the youth room... or what belongs in the Purgatory Forum
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Puppies

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:37 pm

OK, who needs a puppy?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Pointers? Or German Shorthair?

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Hovannes wrote:Pointers? Or German Shorthair?
German Shorthaired Pointers
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Good looking little boogers, Judge. Something about gun dogs just warms my little heart.

Monarchist
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Monarchist » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:19 pm

How could you do this to me?
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Only if they come pre-trained, house broken, and delivered. :lol:

Good looking dogs! You shouldn't have any trouble finding homes for them.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 pm

[quote="mountainman"]Only if they come pre-trained, house broken, and delivered. :lol:
quote]

The first six months are the most fun!

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm

I like the one that has the blurred face--- is he in the witness protection program already?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Monarchist

Post by Monarchist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Problem is, I want them all!
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:38 pm

mountainman wrote:Only if they come pre-trained, house broken, and delivered. :lol:
yep!
Sola Deo Gloria

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm

I have a hunting partner that wants a GSP. He's a great dog person and I would help him with the gun dog training. Like me, he likes a dog with good natural hunting talent that also makes a good house pet. A dog with good drive without being hyper active all the time.

I'm a bit worried about my four legged hunting partner (English Cocker Spaniel) with his enlarged heart. His coughing has become more regular over the last several months. He had so much potential to become an outstanding hunter. His natural talent was unmatched by any dog I've seen. He never had to be taught to love hunting and look for game. He always retrieved with enthusiasm. All I had to do was guide his natural abilities to work for the gun.

He is an awesome pet whose size is very nice. I may be in the market for a new hunting partner much sooner than I want to be. GSPs are the most popular hunting dogs for the upland out here in CA by far. If my hunting partners go with pointing breeds I might need to go that route too next time. My spaniel hunts certain terrain and conditions very nicely while pointers do other things better. I'm not sure how to mix working pointers with working spaniels. Have any of you hunted over both at the same time? Or for that matter, have you hunted upland with pointers and retrievers at the same time (the non-pointing retrievers)?

Me personally, I'm more interested in French Brittneys and lLewellin Setters if I were to get a pointing breed for whatever reason.
Last edited by Thunktank on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty
Slightly Impudent, Disciple of Del, Wannabe Catholic
Slightly Impudent, Disciple of Del, Wannabe Catholic

Post by Rusty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm

See the two that are staring at you? They're alpha's and are more assertive and dominant (usually). Doesn't mean they'll bite but it does mean that they will challenge you on almost everything. They think they're the alpha (lead) rather than you so it makes for lots of fun times. Alphas do not make great house pets unless they're an incredibly unusual mesh with your personality.

The funny thing is when things go wrong it's the alpha dog that you need. The only alpha dog I ever had always knew the way back. There was no way to get him lost. I could get lost though and I did & he always knew where he was and which direction was the way back. It was much more advanced than simply retracing steps too. The omega family dogs? Not a clue which direction was back. They're not lead so they depend on us. They're lost the minute the car or camp is out of sight so they'll make it worse if they volunteer anything. I'm convinced that the alpha believed that, with no warning, the human (me) will turn into the drooling imbecile that he is and we'll be lost so he made sure he knew where he was. And he always did. He even knew when it was a multiple day canoe trip and he didn't have the map nor the compass either. :lol:
Oh Hillary... You abandon us to this?

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:I have a hunting partner that wants a GSP. He's a great dog person and I would help him with the gun dog training. Like me, he likes a dog with good natural hunting talent that also makes a good house pet. A dog with good drive without being hyper active all the time.

I'm a bit worried about my four legged hunting partner (English Cocker Spaniel) with his enlarged heart. His coughing has become more regular over the last several months. He had so much potential to become an outstanding hunter. His natural talent was unmatched by any dog I've seen. He never had to be taught to love hunting and look for game. He always retrieved with enthusiasm. All I had to do was guide his natural abilities to work for the gun.

He is an awesome pet whose size is very nice. I may be in the market for a new hunting partner much sooner than I want to be. GSPs are the most popular hunting dogs for the upland out here in CA by far. If my hunting partners go with pointing breeds I might need to go that route too next time. My spaniel hunts certain terrain and conditions very nicely while pointers do other things better. I'm not sure how to mix working pointers with working spaniels. Have any of you hunted over both at the same time? Or for that matter, have you hunted upland with pointers and retrievers at the same time (the non-pointing retrievers)?

Me personally, I'm more interested in French Brittneys and lLewellin Setters if I were to get a pointing breed for whatever reason.
We have hunted with Brittany Spaniels and several Setters, Other than a few that had trouble pacing with the GSPs there was no difficulty.

It sounds like you are educated and have formed some opinions. If I am right, you know of the GSP's reputation as the "everything" dog and its suitability to multiple training and purposes. I also figure I could not sway your opinions.

There are 5 of these not reserved as of today. If you or your friends want one, let me know; they were born on Oct 19 and will be ready for pick up in a week or two.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Rusty wrote:See the two that are staring at you? They're alpha's and are more assertive and dominant (usually). Doesn't mean they'll bite but it does mean that they will challenge you on almost everything. They think they're the alpha (lead) rather than you so it makes for lots of fun times. Alphas do not make great house pets unless they're an incredibly unusual mesh with your personality.

The funny thing is when things go wrong it's the alpha dog that you need. The only alpha dog I ever had always knew the way back. There was no way to get him lost. I could get lost though and I did & he always knew where he was and which direction was the way back. It was much more advanced than simply retracing steps too. The omega family dogs? Not a clue which direction was back. They're not lead so they depend on us. They're lost the minute the car or camp is out of sight so they'll make it worse if they volunteer anything. I'm convinced that the alpha believed that, with no warning, the human (me) will turn into the drooling imbecile that he is and we'll be lost so he made sure he knew where he was. And he always did. He even knew when it was a multiple day canoe trip and he didn't have the map nor the compass either. :lol:
You are correct. Also though, we have found that when you remove the Alpha or Alphas from a litter, especially early (7-8 weeks), another will usually establish himself or herself in that role.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 pm

JudgeRusty wrote: We have hunted with Brittany Spaniels and several Setters, Other than a few that had trouble pacing with the GSPs there was no difficulty.
I'm sure the Brittanies and Setters would do fine with GSPs. I like GSPs well enough and they're quite good for hunting in the southwest too. I would take the right one at the right time. Plus GSPs tend to retrieve very well which some Setters don't do so well and that's an important feature for me to have in a hunting dog. Those quail are tough to find once shot as I'm sure you know. But I was specifically wondering about hunting a pointing breed (such as a GSP or Setter) with a flushing breed like a Springer, Cocker or Lab. I've never hunted over pointers, I've only hunted over flushers so I don't know how my propensity to hunt with flushers would be with my hunting partners interest in a GSP.

I suspect my bond to my spaniel wouldn't phase his working style. He would still work as a flusher. But unlike a pair of well trained pointers who honor each other, the spaniel can't do that. No, the spaniel will dive in and flush like they're supposed to. Not sure what that would do to the nerves and ethics of a pointer who's supposed to hold a point. And pointers make poor flushers.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Thunktank wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote: We have hunted with Brittany Spaniels and several Setters, Other than a few that had trouble pacing with the GSPs there was no difficulty.
I'm sure the Brittanies and Setters would do fine with GSPs. I like GSPs well enough and they're quite good for hunting in the southwest too. I would take the right one at the right time. Plus GSPs tend to retrieve very well which some Setters don't do so well and that's an important feature for me to have in a hunting dog. Those quail are tough to find once shot as I'm sure you know. But I was specifically wondering about hunting a pointing breed (such as a GSP or Setter) with a flushing breed like a Springer, Cocker or Lab. I've never hunted over pointers, I've only hunted over flushers so I don't know how my propensity to hunt with flushers would be with my hunting partners interest in a GSP.

I suspect my bond to my spaniel wouldn't phase his working style. He would still work as a flusher. But unlike a pair of well trained pointers who honor each other, the spaniel can't do that. No, the spaniel will dive in and flush like they're supposed to. Not sure what that would do to the nerves and ethics of a pointer who's supposed to hold a point. And pointers make poor flushers.
My father may have hunted with a flushing dog along with his GSP in South Dakota on a Pheasant trip, but I do not recall. I will ask him.

I'm not sure how the mechanics would work of a pointing dog hunt with a flushing dog hunt.

Monarchist

Post by Monarchist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I don't get it. Why do you need a dog in order to use a GPS?

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Monarchist wrote:I don't get it. Why do you need a dog in order to use a GPS?
:lol:

Sorry.

We said GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) not GPS (Global Positioning System).

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Quick! While they are rat-sized ship the lot to FoP. Include a pinch of 50 year old Mixture 79 so he will accept and open the box!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Monarchist

Post by Monarchist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Monarchist wrote:I don't get it. Why do you need a dog in order to use a GPS?
:lol:

Sorry.

We said GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) not GPS (Global Positioning System).

Ahhh... I guess i should have included the :wink: