The D&D Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue May 20, 2014 2:02 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:THIS LINK posted in total sarcasm mode
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I love Heaven's Check List.
Your signature = God saved you. Oh brother. What a maroon.

I don't think he is saying your signature saves you.
That said, my evangelism pet peeves:
1. Telling people to ask Jesus into your heart.
2. Telling people that the "sinner's prayer" saves you.

Neither of those is biblical. And that little checklist, while good intentioned, is not helpful...and is probably very harmful. Such thinking has led to thousands of people walking around thinking they are saved because they walked down an aisle and said some magic words.
ironic, no?
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 pm

tuttle wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Neither of those is biblical. And that little checklist, while good intentioned, is not helpful...and is probably very harmful. Such thinking has led to thousands of people walking around thinking they are saved because they walked down an aisle and said some magic words.
ironic, no?
It would have been awesome if I had planned that.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue May 20, 2014 2:09 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
tuttle wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ironic, no?
It is even more awesome that you didn't. Either way, I award you 1000 XP

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:11 pm

tuttle wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
tuttle wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ironic, no?
It is even more awesome that you didn't. Either way, I award you 1000 XP
Sweet!

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue May 20, 2014 2:15 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The message is clear, pipe smoking = death.

BAHAHAHAHAHA
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:16 pm

infidel wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BAHAHAHAHAHA
No, he clearly said the magic word "WHAAA?", which must be stated as a question.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue May 20, 2014 2:34 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
infidel wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
infidel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BAHAHAHAHAHA
No, he clearly said the magic word "WHAAA?", which must be stated as a question.
Hmm, in this adaptation, the magic word is still present but the pipe is gone, so you may have a point...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1101/1101_01.asp
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue May 20, 2014 4:38 pm

I miss AD&D. The original. PH, MM, and DMG.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Skip wrote:I miss AD&D. The original. PH, MM, and DMG.
Me too. I do have all those books, though.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Tue May 20, 2014 5:35 pm

I used to play D&D all the time! Great memories!!! I stopped, though, when I realized people took the game too serious and got really stupid with it. Later, I realized people did that with just about everything, but I never did start playing again.

I was the worlds greatest Paladin, until Count Strahd von Zarovich killed me because I was the only one in the party who could fight him. Everyone else ran and hid.

Thanks guys! :x
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue May 20, 2014 5:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:
2nd Edition wasn't too bad, with some long-overdue rule changes to deal with DM autonomy (a nice result of what appeared to be less interference from Gygax). But the original AD&D was plenty if you were willing to adopt a "rules are guidelines" attitude and tell the legalistic players to go stuff it. Ah, but those were the days.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Skip wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
2nd Edition wasn't too bad, with some long-overdue rule changes to deal with DM autonomy (a nice result of what appeared to be less interference from Gygax). But the original AD&D was plenty if you were willing to adopt a "rules are guidelines" attitude and tell the legalistic players to go stuff it. Ah, but those were the days.
Yeah, the tables! (Oh, the tables!) Say what you want about THAC0, it did simplify everything. Plus, they had some cool sub classes for all the character classes.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue May 20, 2014 5:48 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Skip wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Yeah, the tables! (Oh, the tables!) Say what you want about THAC0, it did simplify everything. Plus, they had some cool sub classes for all the character classes.
I played with a bunch of engineers and scientists; we'd implemented THAC0 long before 2nd Ed. :-)

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Kerdy wrote:I used to play D&D all the time! Great memories!!! I stopped, though, when I realized people took the game too serious and got really stupid with it. Later, I realized people did that with just about everything, but I never did start playing again.

I was the worlds greatest Paladin, until Count Strahd von Zarovich killed me because I was the only one in the party who could fight him. Everyone else ran and hid.

Thanks guys! :x
That was Ravenloft, right? Fiendish, but did you ever play Tomb of Horrors? Nasty on characters.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Skip wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Skip wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I played with a bunch of engineers and scientists; we'd implemented THAC0 long before 2nd Ed. :-)
Ah, house rules. Those worked great until someone invited a lawyer to the game. :?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue May 20, 2014 5:57 pm

I was eating dinner, bozo. Make a saving throw, and no, I'm NOT going to tell you against what. Shut up and throw the damn dice or I will...

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re:

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 pm

tuttle wrote:Dungeons & Dragons Unveils Full Product Line, Release Dates, and Details

A new edition will be released this summer (and fall). I didn't read/play any of the playtests that they had over the past couple years, but it looks like it'll be a really good edition. They are obviously saying without saying that 4th edition was a bad move. By all appearances it looks like they were looking back to go forward. I think their plan was to give the best that D&D has to offer in its most stripped down form and then make everything else optional.
So the new DMG was released today which means all 3 core books are out and 5e is officially fully available.

I don't have any of the books yet but I did pick up the starter set a while back to check out the new rules. They also released a Basic version online for free. I've played with my normal group and with my kids and this new version is amazing.

Skip

Re: Re:

Post by Skip » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 pm

tuttle wrote:
tuttle wrote:Dungeons & Dragons Unveils Full Product Line, Release Dates, and Details

A new edition will be released this summer (and fall). I didn't read/play any of the playtests that they had over the past couple years, but it looks like it'll be a really good edition. They are obviously saying without saying that 4th edition was a bad move. By all appearances it looks like they were looking back to go forward. I think their plan was to give the best that D&D has to offer in its most stripped down form and then make everything else optional.
So the new DMG was released today which means all 3 core books are out and 5e is officially fully available.

I don't have any of the books yet but I did pick up the starter set a while back to check out the new rules. They also released a Basic version online for free. I've played with my normal group and with my kids and this new version is amazing.
Damn.

Damn, damn, and double damn.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: D&D turns 40 this year

Post by bilder » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:33 am

My daughter started playing the latest incarnation of D&D with some friends. She made the mistake of telling her grandma about it and I got a lengthy email from the in-laws as a result telling me of the dangers of her playing an evil and satanic game. They even went so far as to give me a complete list of every reference of the word dragon in the Bible. What this has to do with the game itself, I am not sure.

This is the response I gave them. My first impulse was to tell them to loosen up, but I opted for the diplomatic response:

"Thanks for your concerns. I am not too worried about it. It is just a game and she will loose interest and move on to something else after awhile. I have researched the game and with all the stuff people say about it. In the end it is just a game and no more dangerous than Bewitched, The Wizard Of Oz, Lord of the Rings and other such things. Most people are entertained by such things and a few will take it to the extreme. This is the case with most everything in life. I have found that many Christians are against the game without having ever researched it for themselves. Take the time to read about it and the game rules and most of the stuff we hear from others is either not true or blow way out of proportion.

I am keeping an eye on it and Jess knows of the reservations many have so I am pretty sure she will be careful."

I put in the Wizard of Oz and Bewitched reference because they love those shows, yet fail to see the correlation when they are sending others to hell for stuff they do not like.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx