The D&D Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Re: D&D turns 40 this year

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:45 am

tuttle wrote:http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... ns-40.html

Does that make anyone feel old? (Not me, of course. In 1974 I was negative 8 )

What are you going to do to celebrate?

My gaming group hasn't played in a while (too much Halo), so I'm gonna try to get the band back together again.

And as of late my brother has expressed interest in playing and if that happens i'm pretty sure I could swindle my wife and his wife into playing as well. I'm gonna have to be sneaky and nonchalant about how to entangle them into playing with us, but I think I might be able to pull it off. However, this would mean I would have to DM which I've never done. But I think it'd be cool to DM for people who have never played before. (I'm currently scouring the internet and halfprice books stores to find good deals on 3.5 DM guide and Monster Manual)
Good grief, the fact that you were negative 8 in 74 makes me feel ancient! Before you were a gleam in your father's eye, I was old enough to have gleams in my eye! (and boy did I have them in 74!) :dance:
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:47 am

And yes, I know "good grief" dates me. That's the point you young whippersnappers!!
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 am

Just a heads up for any of you who haven't grabbed the new version of D&D. Most of their stuff is on mega sale right now on Amazon. You can get the three core books for under $25 each at the moment.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon May 11, 2015 2:13 pm

tuttle wrote:Just a heads up for any of you who haven't grabbed the new version of D&D. Most of their stuff is on mega sale right now on Amazon. You can get the three core books for under $25 each at the moment.
I used to play in the late 70's and early 80's. Was a member of a couple 4-H D&D clubs. Had all the books and quite a few sets of TSR lead figures which I painted quite masterfully (won a few contests with that). When I came of age and left home I asked my parents to sell all of my D&D stuff at their next garage sale. :headwall: I don't know if any of it is worth any money, but it would really be nice to still have all of that from that time of my life - a lot of positive association with it.
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon May 11, 2015 2:56 pm

tuttle wrote:Just a heads up for any of you who haven't grabbed the new version of D&D. Most of their stuff is on mega sale right now on Amazon. You can get the three core books for under $25 each at the moment.
Piffle.

1ed or Go-and-rot.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon May 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Pipeson went to middle school with Gary Gygax's granddaughter.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon May 11, 2015 4:33 pm

I can't relate™.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 pm

Jocose wrote:I can't relate™™.
Le mot juste, mec.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Tue May 12, 2015 12:23 am

Del wrote:Pipeson went to middle school with Gary Gygax's granddaughter.
Either this is the weakest name drop in history or this post belongs in the "useless facts" thread.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue May 12, 2015 7:23 am

gravel wrote:
Either this is the weakest name drop in history or this post belongs in the "useless facts" thread.
It is powerful in a thread like this...you are witnessing it's resurrection because it was mentioned earlier in this thread

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Tue May 12, 2015 7:32 am

gravel wrote:
Well, Ashley was a sweetheart. She used to help Pipeson organize his homework (he was horrible at forgetting to bring home the necessary books and worksheets).

She was rather embarrassed by her famous grandfather, and had no interest in gaming.

Besides, I live close to Lake Geneva, WI -- and you guys don't.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 am

Pepik wrote:
Piffle.

1ed or Go-and-rot.
I've never played 1ed, but I have the books. And from what I can tell, it seems that 5e (the newest version) is really drawing a lot of old school players. Folks who played 1e and 2e exclusively are coming to 5e and discovering that it has maintained the spirit of D&D to such a degree that they feel like they can safely cross over without losing much. One of the old school guys in my group was always recounting the tales of the glory days of D&D while we played through 3.5 and 4e. But in the first session with the 5e rules he was blown away with the similarity. Not necessarily the similarity in specific rules, but the similarity in play and how things felt at the table. He was more excited about the new rules than any of us who cut our teeth on the newer editions. One other thing about this edition is that it is loaded with options. They've stripped the rules down to a basic format (which you can download for free on their site) and have inserted options (in the DMG) in order for folks to play closer to their old school games. Basically, they've made it much easier to hack the game without it changing the game.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue May 12, 2015 7:49 am

Piffle I say!
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 12, 2015 9:52 am

tuttle wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Piffle.

1ed or Go-and-rot.
I've never played 1ed, but I have the books. And from what I can tell, it seems that 5e (the newest version) is really drawing a lot of old school players. Folks who played 1e and 2e exclusively are coming to 5e and discovering that it has maintained the spirit of D&D to such a degree that they feel like they can safely cross over without losing much. One of the old school guys in my group was always recounting the tales of the glory days of D&D while we played through 3.5 and 4e. But in the first session with the 5e rules he was blown away with the similarity. Not necessarily the similarity in specific rules, but the similarity in play and how things felt at the table. He was more excited about the new rules than any of us who cut our teeth on the newer editions. One other thing about this edition is that it is loaded with options. They've stripped the rules down to a basic format (which you can download for free on their site) and have inserted options (in the DMG) in order for folks to play closer to their old school games. Basically, they've made it much easier to hack the game without it changing the game.
Wasn't the 4 Ed an attempt to replicate a video game feel in combat? I played the Basic (et al), the 1st Ed, and the 2nd Ed. The Basic and 1st Ed seemed to be more like the old "war game" board combat from which D&D was derived. The 2nd Ed seemed to focus more one the role-playing aspect and combat was not as important and simplified (hence the THAC0).
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue May 12, 2015 1:04 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Piffle.

1ed or Go-and-rot.
Wasn't the 4 Ed an attempt to replicate a video game feel in combat? I played the Basic (et al), the 1st Ed, and the 2nd Ed. The Basic and 1st Ed seemed to be more like the old "war game" board combat from which D&D was derived. The 2nd Ed seemed to focus more one the role-playing aspect and combat was not as important and simplified (hence the THAC0).
I don't know if that was their primary intention for 4e, but I think that's what they were leaning towards. It felt like a pretty big departure. For me it got boring pretty quick. Plus all the math formulas drove me nuts. 5e really does simplify a lot of things and from what you described, seems to reflect the focus of 2nd edition, with story and roleplaying.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: The D&D Thread

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Some big news on the D&D front this past week and a half or so:

1- Wizards of the Coast (the owners of D&D) released a new Systems Reference Document* (SRD) for the newest edition (5e) under the Open Gaming License (OGL), which means that third party publishers can now create loads of content compatible with the newest edition.

1a - On top of that Wizards of the Coast has also created a new online platform called the Dungeon Master's Guild for anyone to publish anything game related, for free or for profit! So say you have an adventure you created for your friends, you can now post it on the Dungeon Master's Guild (for free or $) to share with the community. (The big thing to know about that though is that if you post anything on the Guild it more or less becomes automatically part of the community. If you create a setting and post it to the Guild, you are surrendering certain rights with it. Others can use it on there as well. So if yer wanting to protect your IP, might not want to go that route)

The last time D&D was under the OGL there was a kind of roleplaying game boom, tons of content and new small companies started. Overall it is viewed as a healthy thing for the community.

2 - Also it was announced today* that the newest product release will be a return to Ravenloft. Apparently Tracy and Laura Hickman (the original creators of Ravenloft) were brought in as advisers and it was written by the man considered to be the top creative talent at Wizards of the Coast, Chris Perkins.

*I currently cannot link the news items because they are blocked for me. Maybe when I'm home or someone else can link them. Otherwise it's really flippin easy to just google it.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:07 am

Hello!

Last night at the hootenanny some folks expressed interest in starting an online D&D group. Pepik would GM and develop/adapt an adventure set in The World of Greyhawk using the online virtual tabletop Roll20. If you would like to play or are interested in learning more, please respond here.

List so far:
  • Pepik (GM)
  • Skip
  • UncleBob
  • tuttle
Last edited by UncleBob on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:21 am

UncleBob wrote:Hello!

Last night at the hootenanny some folks expressed interest in starting an online D&D group. Pepik would GM and develop/adapt an adventure set in The World of Greyhawk using the online virtual tabletop Roll20. If you would like to play or are interested in learning more, please respond here.

List so far:
  • Pepik (GM)
  • Skip
  • UncleBob
This sounds so much fun. Don't add me to the list just yet...I'd need some more details. Mostly what times/days this would go down? And what version we'd be playing?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:10 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Hello!

List so far:
  • Pepik (GM)
  • Skip
  • UncleBob
This sounds so much fun. Don't add me to the list just yet...I'd need some more details. Mostly what times/days this would go down? And what version we'd be playing?
No one is sure about the particulars but those will all be negotiated and discussed by those on the list since they are the ones who want to play. (Hint, hint.) I think in the past we were talking about once a month.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 pm

For A_Morley who is fascinated by Gygax's alignment system:

D&D Online Alignment Test--Wizards of the Coast

My results:
Your Character’s Alignment

Based on your answers to the quiz, your character’s most likely alignment is Neutral Good.

Neutral Good

A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. The common phrase for neutral good is "true good." Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias toward or against order.

--excerpted from the Player’s Handbook, Chapter 6

Keep in mind the alignment suggested by the quiz is just that: a suggestion. It describes your character no better than a 36-question test would describe you. But it’s a good way to start thinking about how your character acts when confronted with issues of alignment.

Now that your character has taken the test, make a note of which questions scored in the opposite direction from your overall alignment. These exceptions can tell some interesting tales about your character Are you a good character with a greedy streak? Are you a lawful character who can’t stand the village elders? Don’t just roleplay your alignment -- roleplay your alignment exceptions, too. Few characters perfectly embody their alignment choice.